News Article: Paul Maurice resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I believe he was away from the team to support his wife Tina undergoing cancer treatment, at least that's what I understood around the time of the Hockey Fights Cancer game.

Now this is conjecture, but I wouldn't surprise me if Maurice took Kompon's return date into account when deciding when to time his resignation.
Or Chipman cracked the whip

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wonder if Moe was looking at this as being his last year for a while now. His contract was up after this year, it seems like he helped handpick his successor. It seemed that he wasn't happy with how things went with COVID last year and needed to be somewhat persuaded to come back this year.

Got to think this has been on his mind for a while.
Probably. He's been around long enough to know how this (coaching) game is played. I suspect we will see him take another HC job this summer.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I just wanted to give a tip of the cap to those in the off-season I was arguing against. I truly believed that Maurice hadn't lost the room, and the player Personnel improvements would be able to get us where we want it to go. It appears even Maurice himself recognize this wasn't the case anymore. I was wrong, and I'm excited for a new coach now as well. We all want the team to be successful, and I think giving a triode to a guy like Lowry is a good way to go forward this season. A clean fresh slate and more of a game to game meritocracy should absolutely get more out of this group than we have so far. Cheers.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
ESPN reported:

Maurice said the resignation was "100 percent" his decision. Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said "we came to an agreement" on Maurice leaving the team, and that "he's going to be well taken care of" moving forward. Maurice had one more year left on his contract at around $3 million
———-
Paul Maurice was gently pushed out of the door!
No, the door was definitely left open but he chose the time to leave.

It has been obvious to me for some time that major decisions of this kind at the Jets were made by a team, of which Chevy, Chipman and Maurice himself were the major players. Obviously, his bosses had authority over Mau, but there was a unique relationship based on mutual trust, respect and core values. That was most recently evident just 1 1/2 months ago when Maurice became the de facto spokesman for the organization during the "Beechgate" scandal. Where else would the coach have been given that latitude?

I believe that for some time all 3 accepted the fact that it was this season or bust for the team and Maurice was fine with that. Chipman/Chevyhad given him lifetime financial security and huge influence within the organization, so the decision to step down for the good of the organization was not a major conflict of interest. Having such autonomy in the decision and timing was a major factor.

Last point: Because Maurice is such a stellar communicator with such a high EQ, he often made the toll his job took look easier than it was. Wrong. These jobs can just suck you dry over the years--and when no one notices and things are going poorly, it makes it even worse. Having a Christmas to spend with his family, while he is still healthy, is no accident of timing.

Best of luck to Maurice in the future. I expect he will finish his career in media, for which he is eminently suited and which has only a fraction of the stress.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just listened to the whole press conference; this is Maurice at his most authentic. I respect his decision and from what I know of his personality, he's making it from the right reasons and in a very healthy way. "I want the best for everyone [in this organization], and I want the best for me, too." He said a lot of what I suspected was going on for him - he's said multiple times before that last year was hard on him personally. He's paying attention to his keen senses and then seeing what resonates for him personal - he is at his best when he's in that ethical/belief/rightness space.

It would be easy for his personality to make decisions out of expediency and others' feedback, but he would absolutely be miserable if he continued on, and that would translate into even worse team performance because his inspirational talent comes from within, his own passion. I wish he could've "pushed that boulder" to the top in the last few years, but it's someone else's turn, and he will be cheering us on.

I disagreed with many strategic decisions, but I never doubted his dedication, work ethic, passion, and intentions.

Thanks, Paul, for your hard work and giving us your best.

Well said. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jets 31

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Expect Maurice to be back. One question at his pressor was about leaving the organization - His answer was "for now" "distraction if I'm around" "If that conversation comes up it will be a good one"-not sure of exact wording of that last quote"
I think a deal is already in place for a future role - altho just before that he was asked about a role in management and basically said you need experience in that field rather than coaching to be an assistant GM

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Expect Maurice to be back. One question at his pressor was about leaving the organization - His answer was "for now" "distraction if I'm around" "If that conversation comes up it will be a good one"-not sure of exact wording of that last quote"
I think a deal is already in place for a future role - altho just before that he was asked about a role in management and basically said you need experience in that field rather than coaching to be an assistant GM

I don't think there's a deal in place, more like an open door if he wants a role in the future. I get the impression he wants to see how he enjoys his time away from hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Applies to players as well.
Wheeler isn’t a top 6 anything anymore and yet won’t get traded because…”he’s been here since the Jets came back…he was a Thrasher”… he’s an anchor holding the Jets back.
Trade him, buy him out, LTIRetire him… just get rid of him and his anchor contract

He may not be a top 6 player anymore, though I think he would be OK with KFC - PLD. But if not, he should be bumped further down.

But loyalty is not why he is still here. His contract, with its NMC, is untradeable. Buying him out is also not possible. There is a very limited window for buyouts and we are not in it yet. It is possible that a buyout makes sense when we get there. I don't think so personally, because he is still a useful player. He just needs to be moved down the depth chart. He won't earn his contract, but he probably earns more than what would be left after a buyout. He can't be LTIRetired without a career ending injury. The one he has isn't likely that.

Why not wait and see how Lowry uses him when he gets back into the lineup?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s also important to remember that this board isn’t one unified voice. Just because some (or many, or most, or whatever quantity you prefer to use) voice disdain or displeasure for her doesn’t mean that we can’t have other posters who appreciate/want to share her perspective.

:thumbu:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After watching the interview it’s clear why vets like to play for him. Knowledgeable, calculated, and honest. I’d imagine he’s a great guy off the ice too. Shame Gerard has gotten hired twice while Maurice was behind the bench and has had great records in both locations. This roster is perfect for him. Boudreau also having great success with a less skilled roster in Vancouver. Shame this happened 2 years too late as wheeler is now a bubble hockey player that can pass and get a fluke goal but not move and we no longer have laine at his peak. We’ll see what Dave’s got!

Don't have Laine - do have PLD.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Paul is a class act and i wish to thank him for all his efforts! I liked him as a person and coach. Sadly the players are talented but weren't consistent. They have about 4 levels of play. Successful professionals only have two. Full out and harder!

Bless you Paul Maurice! You stood up for our players, our team, our city and province. We can not ask any more of a coach! Professionals need to start acting like pro's.

I think coaches basically divide into 2 groups, player's coaches and hard asses. Maurice is very much in the player's coach group. He could be the poster boy for that group. I also think it is common for player's coaches to have the kind of problems that Maurice is having. Players eventually take him for granted and just stop producing at full capacity. Not deliberately. It just happens. Human nature. Right now, the Jets need a bit more of a hard ass. Not Torts. :laugh: But a coach who doesn't care if the players like him or not. A coach who will demand excellence. Not a coach who CAN make you cry in that room, but a coach who DOES make you cry, if necessary.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I saw an interview right after the trade with Torts and he was asked if he talked to PLD before he left and he said no. Torts was the reason.
PLD will re-sign here. Papa Lowsy is going to play him with KC and probably Svech too.

TOI last night was 21:04 for Scheif, 19:16 for PLD. They had identical PP time and no PK time. Getting closer to balanced.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or Chipman cracked the whip

I can't see that.
More likely he and TNSE wanted him here for a while during this changeover. They are now down another coach.

Depending on his wife's condition, he may be gone again in a few days. If so, they should give him a leave of absence and bring in someone else, even on a term basis. Surely there must be someone somewhat competent who would like to get his foot in the NHL door or one of the recently unemployed coaches with time on his hands.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Assistant GM is where you get that experience.

He might also be suited to a President of Hockey Ops kind of role - but don't think I am suggesting that. :laugh: I'm not.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
well, pomo certanly did live up to his reputation.......what were some of the comments from some fans in the carolina forum......and that is why he is no longer the HC of this team.....he certainly does not learn easy, maybe one of his biggest downfalls/flaws.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Listening to Chevy I think it's a mutual decision. But yes I think he's a family guy and misses it. He's looked old and yesterday looked legit pissed... after 9 years or so I don't think you can fire the guy so very classy of tnse to let Maurice go gracefully and with class
A $3M parting gift will ease Management’s conscience.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well, there goes my “Paul Maurice excuses” Wheel of Fortune GDT that I was working on. Oh well, let’s hope Dave Lowry keeps the team accountable for their play.

Personally I wouldn’t be offended if you did do the Paul Maurice Wheel of Fortune GDT as a tribute to PoMo….

Would still be hilarious…

Of course thats just Me…

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad