News Article: Paul Maurice resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Well, there goes my “Paul Maurice excuses” Wheel of Fortune GDT that I was working on. Oh well, let’s hope Dave Lowry keeps the team accountable for their play.

It will be fun, please go ahead with it!

community-ken-jeong.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No, the door was definitely left open but he chose the time to leave.

It has been obvious to me for some time that major decisions of this kind at the Jets were made by a team, of which Chevy, Chipman and Maurice himself were the major players. Obviously, his bosses had authority over Mau, but there was a unique relationship based on mutual trust, respect and core values. That was most recently evident just 1 1/2 months ago when Maurice became the de facto spokesman for the organization during the "Beechgate" scandal. Where else would the coach have been given that latitude?

I believe that for some time all 3 accepted the fact that it was this season or bust for the team and Maurice was fine with that. Chipman/Chevyhad given him lifetime financial security and huge influence within the organization, so the decision to step down for the good of the organization was not a major conflict of interest. Having such autonomy in the decision and timing was a major factor.

Last point: Because Maurice is such a stellar communicator with such a high EQ, he often made the toll his job took look easier than it was. Wrong. These jobs can just suck you dry over the years--and when no one notices and things are going poorly, it makes it even worse. Having a Christmas to spend with his family, while he is still healthy, is no accident of timing.

Best of luck to Maurice in the future. I expect he will finish his career in media, for which he is eminently suited and which has only a fraction of the stress.

Just going over the thread and I have to say you nailed it on this post.

Coaches makes allot of money but its a f***ed up job I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I remember watching Lindy Ruff in the dressing room after a game a few years ago in Dallas and he was getting ready to get on a plane with the team to go to the next town after a loss and there he was in his suit at 10:30 at night and the grind was still on. I just looked at it and thought f*** man aren’t you too old for this shit.

I think its like the restaurant business you don’t pick it……it picks you (and lord help you when it does). It’s a curse not a blessing to have it pick you. Weird hours, lots of stress, constant public scrutiny, you work when the world plays. The Hours you have to be “on” for are unrelenting. You grow up in these worlds like hockey and its all you know so you coach. Your kids go to school and other kids say your dad sucks and you watch your kids bring that home. On a more serious note its like palliative care health care workers…….that seems so unrelenting and heavy but somehow the jobs get filled by incredible humans. I would last one shift in that vocation and be a mess and have to tap out. Nature works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just going over the thread and I have to say you nailed it on this post.
Coaches makes allot of money but its a f***ed up job I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I remember watching Lindy Ruff in the dressing room after a game a few years ago in Dallas and he was getting ready to get on a plane with the team to go to the next town after a loss and there he was in his suit at 10:30 at night and the grind was still on. I just looked at it and thought f*** man aren’t you too old for this shit.
I think its like the restaurant business you don’t pick it……it picks you (and lord help you when it does). I....On a more serious note its like palliative care health care workers…….that seems so unrelenting and heavy but somehow the jobs get filled by incredible humans. I would last one shift in that vocation and be a mess and have to tap out. Nature works in mysterious ways.

Lots of wisdom through lived-experience in this post. I've never been in the restaurant business but have lived the shift-work and needing to be "on" all the time.

The only untrue part is the bolded--it's pretty clear you would have made a great palliative care doc! Maybe next time around....

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He sensed they may make a change after being told for two years that they may make a change.
yup it's a bit alarming as a Jets fan, to be loyal to a guy with 0 championship pedigree at any significant level, and the biggest loser of all NHL head-coaches. This ownership/management team couldn't see that, and Paul Maurice himself had to quit b/c he himself knew he couldn't lead this team anywhere. Quite alarming tbh.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
yup it's a bit alarming as a Jets fan, to be loyal to a guy with 0 championship pedigree at any significant level, and the biggest loser of all NHL head-coaches. This ownership/management team couldn't see that, and Paul Maurice himself had to quit b/c he himself knew he couldn't lead this team anywhere. Quite alarming tbh.
Its difficult to say exactly how things went down, but it was very telling listening to Chevy speak when he continually referred to the decision as being his, then correcting himself as to not contradict what Maurice had just said. I don't think Maurice was nearly as safe as people assume he was. Sounds like he may have actually been on the hotseat for the last 2 offseasons.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Its difficult to say exactly how things went down, but it was very telling listening to Chevy speak when he continually referred to the decision as being his, then correcting himself as to not contradict what Maurice had just said. I don't think Maurice was nearly as safe as people assume he was. Sounds like he may have actually been on the hotseat for the last 2 offseasons.
well this was his last year of his contract iirc. so at the minimum he was likely not going to get re-signed i think, barring a big PO run. i just hope they don't let loyalty and being nice guys get in the way of actual PO success

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Right, theoretically the conversation could have gone:

Chevy: "Look, Paul, I think it's clear to all of us that you've gotten this team as far as you're capable. We talked about it this summer, and if the Jets want to turn this season around, we have to make a change now or we lose a year. If you want, you are welcome to voluntarily retire to save face, or we'll choose to fire you. What would you prefer?"

*technically still Mau's choice (resign vs fired), and also technically Chevy's choice. And Mau could very well have already been on board since summer: "If we're not in a playoff position by the time Kompon gets back, we'll make the change."

It seems to me that they have pretty open conversations, and I don't think it was surprising to either man. (Though apparently surprising to Lowry, which isn't very cool...)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Right, theoretically the conversation could have gone:

Chevy: "Look, Paul, I think it's clear to all of us that you've gotten this team as far as you're capable. We talked about it this summer, and if the Jets want to turn this season around, we have to make a change now or we lose a year. If you want, you are welcome to voluntarily retire to save face, or we'll choose to fire you. What would you prefer?"

*technically still Mau's choice (resign vs fired), and also technically Chevy's choice. And Mau could very well have already been on board since summer: "If we're not in a playoff position by the time Kompon gets back, we'll make the change."

It seems to me that they have pretty open conversations, and I don't think it was surprising to either man. (Though apparently surprising to Lowry, which isn't very cool...)
Absolutely. And Maurice could sign a big $ deal this off season somewhere and then we have a whole new group of questions ;)

Reactions: FonRiesen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I have poured over the data, created a connection wall charting out the major events in my basement, consulted numerous times with this thread and boiled everything down accordingly.

Behold ye now, the precise sequelae of events that led to Mo's fateful decision. As a gif may be worth a thousand words, I have chosen this medium.

My impression of the how the now-famous Chevy/Maurice "final chat" broke down:

Chevy:
8yaz.gif

Mo:
giphy.gif

Chevy:
fFSFI3iNQNC53J2Dn9T2

Mo:
2MWy.gif

Chevy, Chipper et al:
356.gif

HF boards Jets:
giphy-5.gif

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I have poured over the data, created a connection wall charting out the major events in my basement, consulted numerous times with this thread and boiled everything down accordingly.

Behold ye now, the precise sequelae of events that led to Mo's fateful decision. As a gif may be worth a thousand words, I have chosen this medium.

My impression of the how the now-famous Chevy/Maurice "final chat" broke down:

Chevy:
8yaz.gif

Mo:
giphy.gif

Chevy:
fFSFI3iNQNC53J2Dn9T2

Mo:
2MWy.gif

Chevy, Chipper et al:
356.gif

HF boards Jets:
giphy-5.gif
nerd.gif

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Chevy: Paul its been 8 years now and we are getting worse, we appreciate what you have done for us so mark and I decided that there are 2 options here . Option 1... we fire you. Option 2 and we only offer this out of respect and for 8 years of service but you resign.
Paul: calls up Deboer.. hey Pete it's Paul... I win.
Chevy: well?
Paul: I resign

From listening to Chevy... there was a question asked that told you really what occurred... it was Kevin were u going to fire Paul. And Chevys answer in Chevy talk was basically do u think we'd be here today if we didn't

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Chevy: Paul its been 8 years now and we are getting worse, we appreciate what you have done for us so mark and I decided that there are 2 options here . Option 1... we fire you. Option 2 and we only offer this out of respect and for 8 years of service but you resign.
Paul: calls up Deboer.. hey Pete it's Paul... I win.
Chevy: well?
Paul: I resign
Does anyone know what that DeBoer thing was about? He had a bet with his friend about whether he'd be fired or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad