News Article: Paul Maurice resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
After watching the interview it’s clear why vets like to play for him. Knowledgeable, calculated, and honest. I’d imagine he’s a great guy off the ice too. Shame Gerard has gotten hired twice while Maurice was behind the bench and has had great records in both locations. This roster is perfect for him. Boudreau also having great success with a less skilled roster in Vancouver. Shame this happened 2 years too late as wheeler is now a bubble hockey player that can pass and get a fluke goal but not move and we no longer have laine at his peak. We’ll see what Dave’s got!
No one has Laine at his peak. His peak lasted 1.5 seasons

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Metaphorically speaking, of course. He's not actually killing himself, obviously. But he is throwing himself on the sword, so to speak, rather than needing to be fired. And he's doing it for a good cause -- the good of the team. Just a bit of poetic license.
He’s doing it to save face… better to be seen retiring than being fired

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
After watching the interview it’s clear why vets like to play for him. Knowledgeable, calculated, and honest. I’d imagine he’s a great guy off the ice too. Shame Gerard has gotten hired twice while Maurice was behind the bench and has had great records in both locations. This roster is perfect for him. Boudreau also having great success with a less skilled roster in Vancouver. Shame this happened 2 years too late as wheeler is now a bubble hockey player that can pass and get a fluke goal but not move and we no longer have laine at his peak. We’ll see what Dave’s got!
The coaches you mentioned were also recently fired for poor performances. I'd prefer something new.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I think Paul is a class act and i wish to thank him for all his efforts! I liked him as a person and coach. Sadly the players are talented but weren't consistent. They have about 4 levels of play. Successful professionals only have two. Full out and harder!

Bless you Paul Maurice! You stood up for our players, our team, our city and province. We can not ask any more of a coach! Professionals need to start acting like pro's.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Was it ever definitely proven that PLD wanted out of Columbus because of Torts? I’m not advocating bringing Tortorella in I just don’t recall if we ever got a reason as to why PLD wanted out.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was it ever definitely proven that PLD wanted out of Columbus because of Torts? I’m not advocating bringing Tortorella in I just don’t recall if we ever got a reason as to why PLD wanted out.
don't think so. I heard he disliked the political views of the locker room and guys were really lax with covid.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I remember it being far more free ranging than that. I just find it funny how this place operates. Pan or pump tires, one way or the other if it matches the opinion I have locked tight.
Remember this board isn’t a big homogenous mass, it’s many different people with many different opinions. Some might have disliked her for whatever reason, but not ‘the board’ just those people. I actually liked her.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I saw an interview right after the trade with Torts and he was asked if he talked to PLD before he left and he said no. Torts was the reason.
PLD will re-sign here. Papa Lowsy is going to play him with KC and probably Svech too.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DarkHorse51

Nov 19, 2016
Minnesota
The coaches you mentioned were also recently fired for poor performances. I'd prefer something new.

gallant took an expansion team to the SCF, beating us in the process….inherited an average Florida team and made them a playoff contender and left over philosophical differences. He was let go in Vegas when they were second in the division. Now coaching the rangers and they’re second in the metro. Boudreau is literally 8-0 right now after taking over an inferior team than ours. What do you mean by recently fired for poor performance?? If we’re talking about outdated coaches Claude julien, Pete deboer, Alain vigneault, Babcock, torts, McClellan I agree but this roster was literally built for gallant and Chevy didn’t pull the trigger

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
gallant took an expansion team to the SCF, beating us in the process….inherited an average Florida team and made them a playoff contender and left over philosophical differences. He was let go in Vegas when they were second in the division. Now coaching the rangers and they’re second in the metro. Boudreau is literally 8-0 right now after taking over an inferior team than ours. What do you mean by recently fired for poor performance?? If we’re talking about outdated coaches Claude julien, Pete deboer, Alain vigneault, Babcock, torts, McClellan I agree but this roster was literally built for gallant and Chevy didn’t pull the trigger
And Maurice had a huge turn around with a bottom dweller when he was first hired with the Jets. IMO this roster could really use someone who isn't an old school retread.

Reactions: rkp

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I have always liked Pmo, well spoken, well prepared, professional, a players coach. His bad tendencies were well documented, for me it was the old school way of having young players earn their keep, love for bad vets, and not holding Scheif and Wheels accountable in the same way. He also buried young guys on fourth line often and didn’t play his fourth line much. He took this team as far as he could and it was time for a change. I have heard him speak a few times in person and could listen all day, great story teller and he really respects and allows his captains to run the room which was evident here. I thank him for his contribution to the Jets and wish him well. I still like the coach, just never thought he’d win a cup here, although if not for a hot Fleury a few years back maybe he does in fact get that ring. Good luck Pmo.
Onward and upward!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
From TSN story

"There are going to be things that Dave is going to do different," Cheveldayoff said. "Sometimes getting uncomfortable in a player’s routine or life, that’s good. I think the players need to get a little uncomfortable here right now. We’re not in a comfortable situation. This team should be better. That’s a simple fact.
Said HF boards 2-3 years ago

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
This should also be a lesson to all the fans who run with imagined narratives like "Chipman would move on from Chevy before Maurice" or "Maurice has more power in the Chevy-Maurice relationship" or "Mo isn't playing Heinola contrary to Chevy's wishes" without evidence. All these were debunked if you watched the presser today where all 3 were categorically shot down. Interesting that Chevy mentioned that Maurice wanted to go 1 year deals at a time instead long term contracts. Doesn't sounds like the kind of person pulling the strings of the owner.

that is for public consumption....you have no idea what went behind the scenes
I would not be surprised that eventually some of the other narratives surrounding this team (like Wheeler runs the deployments and decides line combos) get debunked like this as well.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Lowry's dad is going to coach his own son's team? Has this ever happened before?

I found this reference of fathers who have coached their sons in the NHL:

NameFatherSonSeasonsTeam
AbelSidGerry1966-67Detroit Red Wings
DineenBillKevin1991-92,92-93Philadelphia Flyers
GeoffrionBernieDan1979-80Montreal Canadiens
PatrickLesterLynn1934-35 - 1938-39New York Rangers
PatrickLesterMuzz1937-38,38-39New York Rangers
PatrickLynnCraig1974-75St. Louis Blues
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
This should also be a lesson to all the fans who run with imagined narratives like "Chipman would move on from Chevy before Maurice" or "Maurice has more power in the Chevy-Maurice relationship" or "Mo isn't playing Heinola contrary to Chevy's wishes" without evidence. All these were debunked if you watched the presser today where all 3 were categorically shot down. Interesting that Chevy mentioned that Maurice wanted to go 1 year deals at a time instead long term contracts. Doesn't sounds like the kind of person pulling the strings of the owner.

I would not be surprised that eventually some of the other narratives surrounding this team (like Wheeler runs the deployments and decides line combos) get debunked like this as well.

that is for public consumption.....yo have no idea what went on behind the scenes

Reactions: hn777

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
How many playoff appreance did coach Mo had. 5 years? Mixed in their 1 great year our of 8.5 years.

Hopefully this light some fire again on the players. There is a life cycle on a coach Mo was too long, unless he was winning president trophya and Stanley cups. Those are the reasons to keep any coaches for as long as possible. At the end of the day it's the performance.

On the other side he waa aa mentioned by many as A really nice person. Maybe they should have given him a front office job (maybe they still will).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad