Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Great to see that the summer training is starting to lead to major results for Laine. The same goes for Mikko Rantanen in Colorado who trained together with Laine last summer with the same focus on being in shape towards the end of the season. Like Laine, he’s also been on fire lately with 19 points in his last 10 games. It will be interesting to watch both players during the playoffs, assuming Colorado also makes it.

I wonder if they’ll have the same summer training strategy for next season? I think they should even though it means sacrificing the start of the season to some degree.
It just so happens that today there was an article in Finnish news outlet about Rantanen, where they interview his trainer Hannu Rautala. He said that he talked with Mikko just last week and their focus will be on improving his speed. Gaining strength will not be the focus, it'll come on the side. Rautala says that NHL requires more and more speed & explosiveness, and that's what they will focus on next summer.

I have to wonder if this could be the case with Patrik too. Mikko is physically ahead of Laine by plenty, though, so their programs could still be a bit different next summer. I guess we'll know eventually. The Finnish media will surely find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asmola and LAINEC

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
so 7 left for 50..

i...he 19 still and playd very small amount of icetimes. downlines, missused,with wrong withplayers etc. still here...43 today. listen my friend.....next year and forthwards there will be treat, very mucho more of treat. there is like no way he can AT LEAST! be putting goals @ goal like last 15 games? where he some 18 goals has left for HIS STORY books!. listen my friend, i present you the "idea" here that the 100 goal seasons not for laine impossible is. he softly easily put up goals and when he blob icetimes , get confortables, getting better linemates and not anymore married with ATARIgames playing all day all night then his numbers blob to unreachables. he one day soon have more goals one season than matthews Points! suck this unbeliefer!

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

da **** is the deal with ATARI games?! o_O who plays atari at 21th century. Av have you been stuck into 80's?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games, but checking out the highlights... man that first goal against Dallas. That looks just so soft and effortless and you'd think there's not going to be much behind that shot, but not only it's accurate it seems pretty hard too.

Reactions: LAINEC

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games, but checking out the highlights... man that first goal against Dallas. That looks just so soft and effortless and you'd think there's not going to be much behind that shot, but not only it's accurate it seems pretty hard too.
He can't help it. He just fires rockets every time. Seriously though, Laine has got shooting down to a science and his shot arsenal is mindboggingly good.

Reactions: LAINEC
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
one reason why he got delayd was that he hurt his knee and missed a season before coming to NHL.

Not at all true. Yes Selanne did hurt his knee in the 88-89 season playing for Jokerit, but it had nothing to do with his delay coming to North America. From the time he was drafted Winnipeg fans knew we'd be waiting a while for him.

We're testing my memory here, but I do believe there was talk he could join us for the Jets playoff run in either 88-89 or 91-92, but an injury prevented this from happening. I don't ever recall there ever being talk he'd join Winnipeg prior to what became his rookie year in 92-93.

Reactions: GNP

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not at all true. Yes Selanne did hurt his knee in the 88-89 season playing for Jokerit, but it had nothing to do with his delay coming to North America. From the time he was drafted Winnipeg fans knew we'd be waiting for a while for him.

We're testing my memory here, but I do believe there was talk he could join us for the Jets playoff run in either 88-89 or 91-92, but an injury prevented this from happening. I don't ever recall there ever being talk he'd join Winnipeg prior to what became his rookie year in 92-93.

IIRC he broke his leg

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
He wants to be the best and doesn't let anything get in the way. Including drinking alcohol. That just speaks about the professionalism of this young man. You can have all the talent in the world but in today's era it won't take one far unless he (or she) is fully committed to the hard work. Luckily Laine not only has the talent but also the will.

Luckily Patrik Laine is of Finland born and breed. Almost everyone in the hockey world - incl. himself - knows that he's the best of the lot.
But he is no ego boy.

But as I live in Sweden I have followed Zlatan's antics over the years (that football chap ya probably know even in Canada).
And boy, am I bored stiff ... over his stiff upper lip style!

He really thinx he's the great Gonzo over football in Europe.
Not only King, but also Jesus and God too ... and he ain't even ashamed to say it out loud!

I know for sure Patrick Laine doesn't own that ego - but if he ever wants to do so - then I hope Dustin Byfuglien kick's the livin' shite out of him, and that immediately.

We don't need no more Zlatan here in Sweden/Europe that sports reporting has been so bad at times that the most popular evening paper here: Aftonbladet was called Zlatanbladet!

Yesus ...but I believe in Laine!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Any memory of there being talk he'd join us for the playoffs one year?

News at the time would have limited to the local Free Press or Sun sports sections, unless this memory stems from conversation on a call-in show on CJOB.

TBH I don’t recall that. My recollection is the injury did delay his coming over. There was also an issue with salary though. And eventually the Jets got offersheet by the Flames and matched it.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Not at all true. Yes Selanne did hurt his knee in the 88-89 season playing for Jokerit, but it had nothing to do with his delay coming to North America. From the time he was drafted Winnipeg fans knew we'd be waiting a while for him.

Selänne broke both his shin and calf bones after about 10 games into the '89-90 season, missing the rest of it with a 10 month recovery. He was back for '90-91 and did great. According to the Finnish wikipedia article he got an offer for $200,000 to join the Jets for the '91-92 season, but he refused and opted to stay in Finland for one more year. He had another stellar season and after that the new offer he got was $2.7m for 3-years.

I don't think anyone knows what would've happened without that injury, but my guess is the timeline is shifted ahead by a year or even two. My guess is he would've joined NHL for '91-92 season, and even '90-91 already would seem possible. I mean that leg injury was huge, without it I'm pretty sure he would've received a better offer earlier. Don't know anything about any talks for playoff runs.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
TBH I don’t recall that. My recollection is the injury did delay his coming over. There was also an issue with salary though. And eventually the Jets got offersheet by the Flames and matched it.
Wow, all the things I didn't know at the time. I don't remember anything about an offer sheet.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Remember Lex Puljujärvi Canada; if you can't speak the native tongue then you have to have a sugar-daddy feeding you with words (Jokinen) Edmonton-style?

Forget it.

Äh, if some of the Finland youngsters doesn't throw lip and jokes around like seasoned veterans in the NHL, who cares?

They will soon learn.

Coz Finland is the happiest and best land in the world. No more and no less: Finland is the happiest country in the world, says UN report

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It just so happens that today there was an article in Finnish news outlet about Rantanen, where they interview his trainer Hannu Rautala. He said that he talked with Mikko just last week and their focus will be on improving his speed. Gaining strength will not be the focus, it'll come on the side. Rautala says that NHL requires more and more speed & explosiveness, and that's what they will focus on next summer.

I have to wonder if this could be the case with Patrik too. Mikko is physically ahead of Laine by plenty, though, so their programs could still be a bit different next summer. I guess we'll know eventually. The Finnish media will surely find out.
Pate’s main focus with Rautala was already last summer in gaining speed and stamina. I’m pretty sure that they will continue in that way though. Most probably for two off seasons still. Where on earth did people get the idea that Pate was just focusing on strength last summer? Explosive strength for the legs for sure, and some strength to the core, but the main focus was still in getting better first steps and better stamina for lasting longer inside the game and longer through the whole season.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Wow, all the things I didn't know at the time. I don't remember anything about an offer sheet.
In fact the two biggest reasons why Selänne came to North America that late were his calf bones snapping completely broken and taking a full season to recover. And then after recovering from that he after all wanted to stay still to play in the WHC tournament that was hosted by Finland. He told it openly at those times that it was a big thing for him. Kurri also played that one season in Italy so that he was able to also play in that same WHC tournament.

I think North Americans sometimes seriously underestimate how extremely important playing for the national team is for most of the Finnish top players. And it was especially that way in those days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
so how does this

finsko-patrik-laine-patrik-383559.jpg

become this

cut.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad