Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

One of the better highlights vids of laines young career and it is already straight fire. What a trip so far.

Enjoy

It's really just insane how good he is already. A couple of things....
  1. He looked faster in his pre-NHL games.
  2. Everyone else shooting now looks like they are shooting through quicksand. I can actually see the puck when they shoot :)

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
so how does this

finsko-patrik-laine-patrik-383559.jpg

become this

cut.jpeg

Usually we blame the American porridge of the chin area changes in my whereabouts.

paragon

May 5, 2010
In fact the two biggest reasons why Selänne came to North America that late were his calf bones snapping completely broken and taking a full season to recover. And then after recovering from that he after all wanted to stay still to play in the WHC tournament that was hosted by Finland. He told it openly at those times that it was a big thing for him. Kurri also played that one season in Italy so that he was able to also play in that same WHC tournament.

I think North Americans sometimes seriously underestimate how extremely important playing for the national team is for most of the Finnish top players. And it was especially that way in those days.
That sounds like a bunch of revisionist history. First of all the reason Kurri played in Italy was because he was a RFA and he didn't want to sign with the Oilers. Eventually Oilers traded his rights and he came back to play with Gretzky. He went to Italy to hold out, not to play in the WHC and to believe otherwise is astonishing.

Also the reason why Selänne came to North America so late has nothing to do with his legs. He played two full seasons after he broke his leg. Jets owners were cheap and lowballed him and didn't budge after that initial offer, partly because they were cheap and possibly partly because they didn't understand his value. Selänne had to wait a long time for the opportunity to play in the NHL and signed eagerly as soon as he got an offer, but that contract offer came from the Calgary Flames. If not for the Calgary Flames Selänne would have stayed in Finland for at least another year and his legacy would be vastly different having missed on those rookie records.

Again, it has nothing to do with wanting to play in the WHC. In fact everything points out that Selänne wasn't that keen on even playing in the WHCs. After he joined the NHL he played in the WHC only 4 times even when he had a chance to play more than a dozen times because of missed playoffs or quick exits. He even refused the call to play by sending a fax, because he didn't want to talk to the head coach in person.

I'm not saying the WHC doesn't mean more to Europeans, because it clearly does, but I think you painted a dishonest picture of the reality.

Reactions: ps241

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That sounds like a bunch of revisionist history. First of all the reason Kurri played in Italy was because he was a RFA and he didn't want to sign with the Oilers. Eventually Oilers traded his rights and he came back to play with Gretzky. He went to Italy to hold out, not to play in the WHC and to believe otherwise is astonishing.

Also the reason why Selänne came to North America so late has nothing to do with his legs. He played two full seasons after he broke his leg. Jets owners were cheap and lowballed him and didn't budge after that initial offer, partly because they were cheap and possibly partly because they didn't understand his value. Selänne had to wait a long time for the opportunity to play in the NHL and signed eagerly as soon as he got an offer, but that contract offer came from the Calgary Flames. If not for the Calgary Flames Selänne would have stayed in Finland for at least another year and his legacy would be vastly different having missed on those rookie records.

Again, it has nothing to do with wanting to play in the WHC. In fact everything points out that Selänne wasn't that keen on even playing in the WHCs. After he joined the NHL he played in the WHC only 4 times even when he had a chance to play more than a dozen times because of missed playoffs or quick exits. He even refused the call to play by sending a fax, because he didn't want to talk to the head coach in person.

I'm not saying the WHC doesn't mean more to Europeans, because it clearly does, but I think you painted a dishonest picture of the reality.
You are in fact dishonest here. I read interviews at those times where both Kurri and Selänne told that the home WHC was exactly a big factor for them making their decisions. I didn’t invent anything here.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I'd think the very serious leg injury probably affected things, but no way to know what would've happened without it. True that when the Jets eventually made an offer they lowballed it which led to Selänne spending one more year in Finland, but without that injury it seems likely the Jets lowball offer would've come a year sooner at least.

With Kurri, I think there was many factors in his decision to play in Italy, I'm pretty sure the home tournament was one of them, but how important I wouldn't know. My guess is the biggest reason was having a more relaxed year and some time to evaluate what he wants to do with his career. He was a 5 times SC winner and getting at the age where retirement, while somewhat early wouldn't have been unheard of. But I'm just speculating.

Also according to Selänne himself, the reason why he refused to even talk, was because he knew he couldn't keep his decision to not go, but his head would be turned. If I recall one year he didn't want to play (or probably more like where he deemed it more sane to take some time off and rest), Kurri himself went to go get him in person... so yeah, obviously WHC in general wasn't the highest priority for Selänne at all, but at the same time his behaviour seems to indicate he really DID want to participate and not going was usually more about reason than lack of passion. Hell, how everyone seems to talk about Selänne and his passion for hockey, it sometimes sounds like if Mestis had been played during the summer, you'd probably had seen Selänne in some team... The way you spin it makes it sound like Selänne didn't think WHC important enough to even bother answering the coach other than by fax, which seems rather long way from truth.

Reactions: Ippenator

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I just keep thinking of hair getting stuck in the wound and healing like that.......

eeeewwwww. Have to stop thinking about it.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Yeah he's hasn't had a bad game these past 4 games despite not scoring, and has been great some games.

As for playing injured, I guess technically yes - I imagine the foot might not be fully healed yet, but then again do you count a bad bruise an injury.... and didn't he say it actually felt a lot better inside a skate than it does in normal life, so I don't think it should be affecting his play at all and certainly hasn't looked like it.

Reactions: 1OApick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad