Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
0+0 for six games straight, cause for concern? That miss swing at the puck near at the end kinda sums up Laine's game since that bruise.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This was one of my favorite Laine games, he was good. He played a complete defensively minded game and was fighting hard on the boards. Thought he’d get an assist on the first goal but oh well.

Last edited:

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
He’s been playing really great though. Doing a lot of great things aside from scoring.
But does he get paid to play D? I believe his main role in the team is scoring goals; and ''doing lot of great things'' is such a cliché excuse for players not getting results. He is not playing his best hockey at the moment, and there is no denying that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
But does he get paid to play D? I believe his main role in the team is scoring goals; and ''doing lot of great things'' is such a cliché excuse for players not getting results. He is not playing his best hockey at the moment, and there is no denying that.

Technically, he is playing a good game even though he's been held scoreless. What constitutes non cliché, BTW? Strictly boxcar stats?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Hahahha

If he scores

He is one dimension player.

If he does good on something else.

He gets paid to score.

Last i saw the kid has 43 goals good for 2nd in the league.

Most players are lucky if they score 40 games out of 82 games.

Go laine!
Edit:

Most players are lucky if they score in 20 out of 82 games

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
Technically, he is playing a good game even though he's been held scoreless. What constitutes non cliché, BTW? Strictly boxcar stats?
The point was that phrase is being used way too often when a player has a slump. Technically? You mean he skates on the right lanes and plays safe hockey? Starting to sound like the description of Jonathan Toews, possibly most overrated player in the league in recent years.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
After that stint where he was scoring like GPG basis it was inevitable that he slow down a bit. Hope he gets to 45 that would be a nice even number.

Why didn't he get a point on that first goal wasn't it a Laine shot, Ehlers gets it to JoMo and then in?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

He is playing much better than he was earlier in the season when he was constantly turning the puck over. The only game where he was close to "bad" in this recent stretch was the Chicago game on Thursday. Goals come and go in bunches, it's the consistency in the 200 foot game from him that I have liked a lot from his game.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's a Laine conspiracy to keep lanie's salary down. Can you imagine how much he'd cost with a rocket and 50 goals?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
43 goals this season, 4 games left....
- there is no way he even gets 50 this season <sigh>
- 50 was a minimum, MINIMUM! for this season, ****

0.49 goals per game last season - 0.55 goals per game this season
= 0.06 goals per game "improvement"

Fans keep praising him game after game, hyping about his sophomore season,
how he has been so much better vs his rookie season,how good he has playing lately,
supposedly. His skating is so much better, how good he is in own end...

Honestly, i couldn't care less how he plays, or how he looks,
goals are the only thing what matters for a purest sniper in the world ever seen
and he have not scored a single one in 6 games, ******* pathetic.
- it all pretty much summed up in that Chicago game; couldn't
score on ECHL level goalie,nor even on amateur, beer league level goalie,
how in the hell you can praise his game...weird.

His rookie season was a disappointment, this season has been pretty okay at best
but nothing what i expected from Laine, not even close...he just-cant-play
up to his fullest potential, its unreal!.

In a season where someone like William Karlsson has 41 goals, (2 less than Laine)
nothing away from his awesome season, i like him, but lets be realistic here,
Karlsson is like Jody Shelley vs Patrik Laine when it comes to scoring goals
if a "slight" exaggeration is allowed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The point was that phrase is being used way too often when a player has a slump. Technically? You mean he skates on the right lanes and plays safe hockey? Starting to sound like the description of Jonathan Toews, possibly most overrated player in the league in recent years.

So: how often is too often? Is it the same poster? Multiple posters? Are you lumping everyone into the same pile, and judging them as a group? Do we need to keep score? :laugh: ;)

I have no idea what Jonathan Toews has to do with Laine, but it's irrelevant - Laine is 2nd in goal scoring in the League at the moment, and suffering from some poor puck luck. He's playing well: the points will return if he keeps doing what he's doing.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Just gotta hope he gets out of the slump in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind a few goals before playoffs either..

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Excellent game for Laine. Who said he is a sniper? Seems to be a selke candidate defensive winger like Jere Lehtinen for games like that. Well, Laine doesn't play 82 games per season that way, but maybe there is Jari Kurri inside him, just a completely different style.

Should have had at least an assist and a goal against Toronto, but for goal scorers confidence is the key. When you are hot, you are hot and only sky is your limit. When you have a slightest doubt whether the puck is going in, it's usually not going in. This is exactly the moment you need "luck" to get that one single goal in, and get the flow back.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine is ... suffering from some poor puck luck. He's playing well: the points will return if he keeps doing what he's doing.

He is playing very well, but there is more into that than just "poor puck luck". Well, he would need a bit of luck just to get one goal, but it's more about the confidence. For Laine, his little "injury" kicked in bad moment. There is just a smallish ape on his back at the moment so that he is not 100% sure to get that goal when he has the opportunity.

Once he scores 1 or 2, he will continue his streak.

As for now, he is really important player for the Jets even when he is not scoring himself as he defends now so well and is looking very dangerous on the o-zone also making more room for his linemates to score.

Reactions: FVM

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think he played a fine game last night. He's just experiencing a slump like every other player goes through too. Before this, he was scoring like a madman. He's already been playing better in the second half of the season than I thought he could in the beginning of the season. Would be nice to see him pot few goals though.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Did anyone else notice how involved he was on board battles last night? He’s really developed his game in that area and seems to go so hard on the puck. Anyone remembers the defensive efforts he did last night, he was very strong on the backcheck all night. He’s playing a complete game now and is careful about the rushes. He’s been playing for the TEAM wins to 100% as of lately, and has been imo excellent at it. Some of the best hockey I’ve seen him play. He doesn’t need to score more this regular season, this criticism is 100% unwarranted!

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
He is playing very well, but there is more into that than just "poor puck luck". Well, he would need a bit of luck just to get one goal, but it's more about the confidence. For Laine, his little "injury" kicked in bad moment. There is just a smallish ape on his back at the moment so that he is not 100% sure to get that goal when he has the opportunity.

Once he scores 1 or 2, he will continue his streak.

As for now, he is really important player for the Jets even when he is not scoring himself as he defends now so well and is looking very dangerous on the o-zone also making more room for his linemates to score.

It’s not a bad time to have that dip on confidence now. It won’t last forever and we’ll have the confident Pate back in time for round one. There’s always going to be a slump at some point and after that the sun is shining again.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I dont understand the whining. He is playing good hockey and creating chances. Just like 50% of his shots going in earlier in March, this isn't the norm for him either. Nothing's going in for Ovie either right now. It happens. Mcdavid has had half his goals in the last 20 or so games. Hot streaks come and go.

For some people...no matter what he does it'll never be enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad