Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Well, they posted an apology:

Sounds pretty sincere to me, actually.

Yeah, at least they knew they f***ed up and instead of going for excuses or doubling down, they put out a fairly sincere sounding apology, lesson learned i assume.

Reactions: Calendal

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Well, they posted an apology:

Sounds pretty sincere to me, actually.

They are sick people. Being sorry doesn't make it any better.

Yeah, at least they knew they f***ed up and instead of going for excuses or doubling down, they put out a fairly sincere sounding apology, lesson learned i assume.
Or they act if they knew better now? Disgusting persons.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I really wish people like these sorry f..ks are never allowed to be anywhere near junior sports.

What kind of human makes that kind of comment in the first place? Saying sorry just doesn't make it it any better. Human carbage. All of them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's possible they only apologized because of the fan reaction. Or do you think if it was less, let alone minimal, they would have done it?

Good for them to take responsibility and post that apology. I hope the lynch mob puts away the pitch forks too - like many here have said people make mistakes and we need to move on and not condemn them for life.

If there's a silver lining, I hope that other podcasters think about what they say a little bit more carefully.

I wrote that if they said that about my loved ones, that makes a big difference. I deleted it because someone might misunderstand it. And that's what happened.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Relax, friend.

People aren’t perfect. All people live in glass houses, so let’s not throw stones.
It's possible they only apologized because of the fan reaction. Or do you think if it was less, let alone minimal, they would have done it?
Anything is possible, but there is zero chance that you will ever know the truth, or the answer to your hypotheticals.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Napoli

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I think people have a tendency to overreact to things in the internet era, and I think this is one such occasion.

A bunch of fans (not reporters, not writers, not journalists, FANS -- and FAN is short for FANATIC) who do a podcast I've never heard of and will probably never hear about again after this story blows over had a guy say something horribly inappropriate, and some of the others laughed uncomfortably. And?

My colleagues and myself were cracking jokes with each other on 9/11 just a couple hours after the towers collapsed. Not because it's a funny topic, but because we didn't know what else to do. Sometimes when people are frustrated and pissed off they say inappropriate things. My sense of humor is pretty dark, so god knows I've done it.

The crack about Laine was wholly inappropriate. No doubt. But he said it as a part of how unenjoyable it is to be a fan of this franchise. Which we can all relate to. I work a job where I have to be there during the evenings, so I watch most of the games on DVR. When Fantilli got hurt, I deleted them from my recordings list, so I'm not watching again anytime soon. That's how I dealt with it. This guy tried to make a joke about a serious topic to lighten the load, and it didn't land. Which it shouldn't have, because it was absolutely tasteless. But to suggest that these guys should never be allowed into the building again... come on. If we banned every fan who said something inappropriate out of frustration, the arena would be empty.

A couple seasons ago, I said something a lot less controversial and not remotely offensive on Twitter about the Crew's goalkeeper, and I had people come out of the woodwork to tell me I was a bad fan, I didn't deserve to follow the club, and I should go be a DC United fan. Never mind that I've spent more time and money on the Crew in my sleep than most of them will in their life; one comment meant I was unworthy of fandom. Well, that's not how this shit works. When things are going poorly for a team, their fans will get unhappy. You can't expect complete and total Pollyanna attitude from the base; things don't improve if that's what you have. A frustrated guy made a dumb joke about an embarrassing sports franchise. Pile on and call the guy a dick. He deserves it. Get it over with and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus and Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Relax, friend.

People aren’t perfect. All people live in glass houses, so let’s not throw stones.

Anything is possible, but there is zero chance that you will ever know the truth, or the answer to your hypotheticals.
I hope you are right.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I never got into the podcasting thing. A few I tried listening too on various topics were terrible.

People love podcasts because they give everyone a voice. Podcasts are terrible because they give everyone a voice.
Podcasting is great but I guess it depends on what kind of podcasts you listen to. There are tons of awesome informative and educational podcasts out there where you learn good stuff (Business Wars, American History Tellers, I love lots of what Wondery produces). As for hockey podcasts The Athletic has an outstanding 5x per week podcast which you don't have to be a subscriber to listen to.

As for this particular podcast, never heard of it before, its not the kind of podcast I normally listen to, so I don't have to worry about whether they start back up or disappear forever.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

90% of people have nade a joke just as dark at sometime in their lives, they were just smarter than doing it on a podcast. The guy wasnt doing it to publicly mock and taunt laine, he was just going on a rant about the team sucming and through in a stupid joke of why laine isnt playing that was careless not realizing it wluld offend. Hes an idiot but no need to overcondemn lr virtue signal. People do much worse. He gotnhis comeuppance. He apologized. The other 2 just kinda gave a wtf laugh. They apologized. They are donating to laines charity. They destroyed their podcast as a result. Move on. You hear darker jokes all the time at 67% of stand up comedy shows.

Reactions: Halfboard

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What's crazy is that even with everything going on with Laine...you can't say the Winnipeg (or LAK) are necessarily better off in the long run either. Winnipeg at least has some hope that their pieces will turn out, so maybe they will "win this trade" but from a CBJ standpoint, it's at least a little reassuring that even in a seemingly "good" spot PLD is causing issues elsewhere.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
What's crazy is that even with everything going on with Laine...you can't say the Winnipeg (or LAK) are necessarily better off in the long run either. Winnipeg at least has some hope that their pieces will turn out, so maybe they will "win this trade" but from a CBJ standpoint, it's at least a little reassuring that even in a seemingly "good" spot PLD is causing issues elsewhere.

Laine is a different level player than PLD, unfortunately the injuries have hampered his ability to demonstrate it fully over a season for a long time. Still, half of Patty is better than all of PLD.

Jets got a great deal for PLD, LA was crazy to bite. So in that sense WPG wins. If Laine can put up some healthier seasons then likely CBJ wins. He's the only guy out of them to be a legit PPG+ player when healthy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Laine is a different level player than PLD, unfortunately the injuries have hampered his ability to demonstrate it fully over a season for a long time. Still, half of Patty is better than all of PLD.

Jets got a great deal for PLD, LA was crazy to bite. So in that sense WPG wins. If Laine can put up some healthier seasons then likely CBJ wins. He's the only guy out of them to be a legit PPG+ player when healthy.
For now, I agree, but I really don't think CBJ keeps Laine through the rest of his current contract, especially with new management coming in.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
For now, I agree, but I really don't think CBJ keeps Laine through the rest of his current contract, especially with new management coming in.
Only Laine and Gaudreau can lead their lines, Marchenko, Johnson and Chinakhov only support (Fantilli is still young we don't know his future). Patrik can play with everybody. Hmm, except Gaudreau. :) His stats were the best in 2 season, especially the second. And I don't mean only goals and points (of course PPG). If he will be psychological well, and I believe yes, he will be a great player. I think these problems were already in the past, maybe even before COVID season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Only Laine and Gaudreau can lead their lines, Marchenko, Johnson and Chinakhov only support (Fantilli is still young we don't know his future). Patrik can play with everybody. Hmm, except Gaudreau. :) His stats were the best in 2 season, especially the second. And I don't mean only goals and points (of course PPG). If he will be psychological well, and I believe yes, he will be a great player. I think these problems were already in the past, maybe even before COVID season.

I'd guess it's an accumulation of things that got to him. All the expectations he and the audience put on him and then injuries non stop, ruining many of his seasons while he himself wants to be a difference maker and win. Then losing his dad, his biggest supporter...I can see how all that can be crushing. He has very high expectations of himself as a contributor to winning, and when everything holds him back it must feels like an endless uphill battle.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd guess it's an accumulation of things that got to him. All the expectations he and the audience put on him and then injuries non stop, ruining many of his seasons while he himself wants to be a difference maker and win. Then losing his dad, his biggest supporter...I can see how all that can be crushing. He has very high expectations of himself as a contributor to winning, and when everything holds him back it must feels like an endless uphill battle.
I don't know speculate what's happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad