Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds about right, he was getting ready for return, maybe this time he felt different about it than previous times and that made him notice he's not as mentally ready as he's been before after injuries. Had morr stuff to deal with. You have to love the game to be a top level performer which he expects himself to be.

I'm sure he'll let us know eventually, he's pretty straight forward and honest with self analysis usually
I can only speak from my own experience but being a high performer suffering from mental health issues the last few years, I was pushing 130% at work to deliver what my “normal” self would do, only to hit a brick wall 6 months later. It turned out that I was severely depressed and bipolar, which came as a total surprise to me, because for all my adult life I had just been grinding and sucking it up. I’m in a much better place now that I know what I’m dealing with annd getting proper treatment and it gives me the tools to give my best at my profession again doing what I love to do.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I can only speak from my own experience but being a high performer suffering from mental health issues the last few years, I was pushing 130% at work to deliver what my “normal” self would do, only to hit a brick wall 6 months later. It turned out that I was severely depressed and bipolar, which came as a total surprise to me, because for all my adult life I had just been grinding and sucking it up. I’m in a much better place now that I know what I’m dealing with annd getting proper treatment and it gives me the tools to give my best at my profession again doing what I love to do.
i can relate to that. plus i got the self loathing and resentment that comes with being told you're a "gifted kid with unfulfilled potential" – i'm projecting here, but i wouldn't be surprised if laine's got a bit of that going on as well.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sounds about right, he was getting ready for return, maybe this time he felt different about it than previous times and that made him notice he's not as mentally ready as he's been before after injuries. Had morr stuff to deal with. You have to love the game to be a top level performer which he expects himself to be.

I'm sure he'll let us know eventually, he's pretty straight forward and honest with self analysis usually
If you've noticed, he hasn't once scored a one-timer goal, not even in the preseason. Conversely, he often missed the net. And the speed of his shots wasn't great either. If I remember correctly, not once more than 80.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
i can relate to that. plus i got the self loathing and resentment that comes with being told you're a "gifted kid with unfulfilled potential" – i'm projecting here, but i wouldn't be surprised if laine's got a bit of that going on as well.
OMFG I hate that shit so much. "You're so gifted, you can do anything you want" - okay, I'ma start with stabbings. Lots and lots of stabbings.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
My guess is that most players read what is said about them online, and it bothers them. They aren't all reading HF, thank god, but between here and twitter, instagram, reddit, etc... there's a lot of nastiness and I'm sure it drives them batty. And it's hard to find a player that gets more bad press, and more outright misinformation, than Patty.

It's not limited to players, most people do no matter of status (athletes, celebrities, artists, politicians ie.) seems to be part of our nature

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I looked at the events since his father's death more closely:

• Injuries/illness, not counting injury during which his father died:

2021/22 1 injury
2022/23 3 injuries + 1 illness
2023/24 2 injuries (one was concussion) + 1 illness (all only in 31 games)

• At least 4 injuries was bad luck.
  • He had been preparing specifically for this season, and right away a concussion, then HS during games, culminating in HS for a game, incidentally on the anniversary of his dad's death.
  • Add to this the pressure, bad press and more outright misinformation than the vast majority of players.

If those were "only" reasons for his problems, it probably wouldn't surprise me.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I looked at the events since his father's death more closely:

• Injuries/illness, not counting injury during which his father died:

2021/22 1 injury
2022/23 3 injuries + 1 illness
2023/24 2 injuries (one was concussion) + 1 illness (all only in 31 games)

• At least 4 injuries was bad luck.
  • He had been preparing specifically for this season, and right away a concussion, then HS during games, culminating in HS for a game, incidentally on the anniversary of his dad's death.
  • Add to this the pressure, bad press and more outright misinformation than the vast majority of players.

If those were "only" reasons for his problems, it probably wouldn't surprise me.
We don’t know what it is. Could be due to mourning, could be a Fortnite addiction again. Could be something completely different.

The bolded part is… certainly a take. I’m not going to get into a pissing match with you but that comment is extremely subjective to say the least.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We don’t know what it is. Could be due to mourning, could be a Fortnite addiction again. Could be something completely different.

The bolded part is… certainly a take. I’m not going to get into a pissing match with you but that comment is extremely subjective to say the least.
  • I don't know what it could be either, "I don't hold a candle under his bed" as we say in Slovakia. Btw I wrote "if those were..."
  • That list of injuries/illnesses was for consideration if there might be a problem, don't look for anything more for it.
  • Of course I had to find injuries/illnesses, these are not things I need to remember.
  • Btw, every comment is subjective. ;)

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You’re mad for no reason.

No reason?

You start with Fortnite BS and end with disagreeing with a part about misinformation. First you do it, then deny it in same post. Class.

You're one of the worst perpetrators of it. Every assumption you make about him is as disadvantageous to him as possible, and you'll use intentionally bad samples of data to attempt to keep those stereotypes alive.

It's dishonest, disingenuous and disgusting.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
No reason?

You start with Fortnite BS and end with disagreeing with a part about misinformation. First you do it, then deny it in same post. Class.

You're one of the worst perpetrators of it. Every assumption you make about him is as disadvantageous to him as possible, and you'll use intentionally bad samples of data to attempt to keep those stereotypes alive.

Yes no reason.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No reason?

I also doubt it was Fortnite too, epecially if he has a girlfriend and I don't think one will be spending time over computer games. But it's been shown many times that anything is possible, so we can't rule that out either, therefore it is normal that @Cowumbus also wrote this option.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It’s a joke. Its just a borderline terrible joke, however. I’ve never heard it before, so I guess you could say it’s original, that’s about it. The subject matter isn’t the actual issue. Is a person like Norm MacDonald (or any other famous comedian) a terrible human being because of “offensive” humor?? [MOD]

Why do professional athletes get paid the amounts of money they get paid? The real issue here is that Laine is seeing any of this AND GIVES ANY f*** AT ALL ABOUT THESE PEOPLE. You wanna passive aggressive dose of reality, that I’m sure will be acceptable because it’s also taking shit against these people?? That dude making that comment is probably LITERALLY more “sad” about life than Laine is. Except this is HIS way to express it as he has no “support system”, emotionally or financially, in any means similar to a millionaire athlete.

How “sad” do you have to be to think that line is funny? Where does the “sympathy” begin and end??

And really, damn, how have I never thought about Elaine before. Dude needs to realize his life is better than the VAST majority of people on earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad