Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who’s going to trade for him? What appeal does Laine bring to a team right now?

Assuming we're talking about a summer trade, if Carolina flames out of the playoffs again after not scoring enough goals, they might start to think about it. They like buy low opportunities, like the Burns and Pacioretty acquisitions. They're willing to use their cap that way for veteran players as long as they don't have to spend assets to get them. Pacioretty was a risky acquisition that didn't work out for them. I see Laine as another risky add, but with potentially bigger payoff, and they're in a position where they have to start taking more risks.

I say the odds of a deal like this are pretty good if Laine can come back and play a few decent games. If he doesn't come back this year then it will be hard to trade him over the summer.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Assuming we're talking about a summer trade, if Carolina flames out of the playoffs again after not scoring enough goals, they might start to think about it. They like buy low opportunities, like the Burns and Pacioretty acquisitions. They're willing to use their cap that way for veteran players as long as they don't have to spend assets to get them. Pacioretty was a risky acquisition that didn't work out for them. I see Laine as another risky add, but with potentially bigger payoff, and they're in a position where they have to start taking more risks.

I say the odds of a deal like this are pretty good if Laine can come back and play a few decent games. If he doesn't come back this year then it will be hard to trade him over the summer.
Don't you hate a player (in this case Laine)? Let's say due his health/mental issues... would be a better trade. :cool:

Let us finally look at our prospects realistically. Chinakhov and especially Marchenko are overrated. No one is franchise player but only support. Maybe Johnson too (Sillinger is an ideal 3C). Laine can return only if solve his mental problems. He is a franchise player, can lead his line against the best opposite lines, create chances, score.

Btw, teammates and fans are supporting Laine what he feels, do you really think his trade is the best of him?

To Carolina. It's style is basic on forchecking, skating, battles, even if Svechnikov and Terëvëinen played in the PO. And nothing change until Ron Francis will be a coach.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Could the Finns explain the text? I doubt that the translation using DeepL is accurate. Btw, the words of Davidson and now Ehler that they hope he will want to return ... :huh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could the Finns explain the text? I doubt that the translation using DeepL is accurate. Btw, the words of Davidson and now Ehler that they hope he will want to return ... :huh:

It's actually referencing this article:

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's actually referencing this article:
Yes, I've noticed him before. But I don't see any reason to subscribe to articles because of one article.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Dont know if mentioned here but in finnish news they said Laine has put him downtown home up for sale

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The nonsense with him quitting hockey needs to stop. He’s not going to walk away from what he loves and gets paid very well to do .. he’s taking care of his mental health.. all the speculation stems from a vague statement or 2, and then You have translation issues . I’d put money that we see him in the NHL to start next year.. Davidson is making a comment trying to convey that it’s a serious situation for him .

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The nonsense with him quitting hockey needs to stop. He’s not going to walk away from what he loves and gets paid very well to do .. he’s taking care of his mental health.. all the speculation stems from a vague statement or 2, and then You have translation issues . I’d put money that we see him in the NHL to start next year.. Davidson is making a comment trying to convey that it’s a serious situation for him .
That is why I asked for an explanation of those words and also the Finnish translation. Unfortunately, I did not receive a reply.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Ehlers is not gonna say anything too much, all you could really get from that article was that they are keeping still in touch, which I guess is a good thing at least. The Laine related stuff was understandably vague with maybe the impression he's on the mend but not there yet.

We don't even know what precisely Laine is dealing with, but with any mental health thing it's not like you can put a timeline on it like with physical injuries, or should worry about any sort of timeline. Getting back too soon would be about the worst thing anyway, I've seen that happen with folks recovering from traumatic experiences and burn outs and the like, where they get back too soon, only to be on a lengthy sick leave again within a month or two.

He's ready when he's ready, I would imagine the next time we get any meaningful updates is nearing training camp.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland

Here's my translation. It seems like the Finnish article is just a translation and shortening of the original English article:

A close friend says: This is how Patrik Laine is feeling

Columbus shared some sad news on 29 Jan. Patrik Laine enrolled in the NHLPA assistance program. In North America, it has been widely reported that it is due to mental health problems.

There has been very little news after his enrollment. Now Laine's former team mate from Winnipeg Jets, Nikolaj Ehlers, has commented on the Finn's state in an interview with the Winnipeg Free Press.

"We spent almost every day together in Winnipeg. It's hard to hear that he isn't playing, when you know how much he loves playing.", says Ehlers.

Ehlers told what Laine's state is right now.

"He feels quite well. Mental health is more important than anything else. It's crazy how things work. Some days you are perfectly fine, the others you aren't. In his case, it's about being away from the ice, having people to talk with, and recovering.", the Danish forward says.

During his NHL career, Laine has been criticizing himself harshly in the media. In Winnipeg, people got used to him telling himself off after weaker games.

"A big part of that was him being himself. He was making jokes at his own expense. I mocked him as well and he mocked me. That's just how it worked. I think everyone in this league is very demanding of himself. You have to, in order to stay in the league. But perhaps he was more harsh on himself than some others.", Ehlers evaluates.

There is currently no info on Laine's potential return.

"It's bigger than hockey. I really hope he will return."

----

There's also a newer article in that site, but it is also just a translation of the original article in the Columbus Dispatch (about selling his house).

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK and VT

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Here's my translation. It seems like the Finnish article is just a translation and shortening of the original English article:

A close friend says: This is how Patrik Laine is feeling

Columbus shared some sad news on 29 Jan. Patrik Laine enrolled in the NHLPA assistance program. In North America, it has been widely reported that it is due to mental health problems.

There has been very little news after his enrollment. Now Laine's former team mate from Winnipeg Jets, Nikolaj Ehlers, has commented on the Finn's state in an interview with the Winnipeg Free Press.

"We spent almost every day together in Winnipeg. It's hard to hear that he isn't playing, when you know how much he loves playing.", says Ehlers.

Ehlers told what Laine's state is right now.

"He feels quite well. Mental health is more important than anything else. It's crazy how things work. Some days you are perfectly fine, the others you aren't. In his case, it's about being away from the ice, having people to talk with, and recovering.", the Danish forward says.

During his NHL career, Laine has been criticizing himself harshly in the media. In Winnipeg, people got used to him telling himself off after weaker games.

"A big part of that was him being himself. He was making jokes at his own expense. I mocked him as well and he mocked me. That's just how it worked. I think everyone in this league is very demanding of himself. You have to, in order to stay in the league. But perhaps he was more harsh on himself than some others.", Ehlers evaluates.

There is currently no info on Laine's potential return.

"It's bigger than hockey. I really hope he will return."

----

There's also a newer article in that site, but it is also just a translation of the original article in the Columbus Dispatch (about selling his house).

And that’s it , same with JD and what he was trying to convey.. we’re not thinking about hockey right now , we are focusing on his health … from that people take and run with a notion he may walk away .. like he’s in a mindset to make permanent decisions …

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
For the sake of discussion only, let me play the cynic (even though it's not what I actually believe). Laine quitting Columbus is what needs to stop.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
… from that people take and run with a notion he may walk away .. like he’s in a mindset to make permanent decisions …
Not sure I understand this.

I don't think he's in a situation where he is unable to make decisions for himself. Additionally, sometimes if something doesn't make you happy, you need to remove it from your life. It could be a relationship, it could be a job. I'm sure those are things he could be dealing with and I think those of us who don't participate in an assistance program ponder those things as well.

For what ever the assistance program is doing, it is helping to guide decisions to help him heal. It should be empowering him to make his own decisions and not guide him into a decision to benefit the league.

I don't believe it is likely but it could be a possible outcome. Sure it's hard to walk away from money but as the saying goes, "money can't buy happiness." I certainly hope he comes back with a refreshed fire in him to play like he did as a care-free rookie who was dominant but we don't know where any of this leads.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The thing that I'm curious about is during his time away, does he miss being on the ice, competing, being part of a team? Or does the thought of it make him feel like some people do on Sunday night, dreading going back to work on Monday?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The thing that I'm curious about is during his time away, does he miss being on the ice, competing, being part of a team? Or does the thought of it make him feel like some people do on Sunday night, dreading going back to work on Monday?

Unfortunately, but understandably he hasn't shared thoughts on that. Just hope he shakes that feeling at some point, I would guess he dreads it a bit but have no better info. Just the public stuff

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Well, Laine is the wrong guy. He doesn't want to score anymore and would rather focus on being a below average C than using his shot.
i mean, this is just an egregiously bullshit narrative that entirely falls apart when you compare the power plays he was featured on in winnipeg versus the ones in columbus

winnipeg's power play rankings each of laine's four full seasons there:
  1. 16-17: 18th
  2. 17-18: 5th (64 PPG, laine had 20 + 11 assists)
  3. 18-19: 4th (62 PPG, laine had 15)
  4. 19-20: 15th
versus in columbus:
  1. 20-21: 27th
  2. 21-22: 24th
  3. 22-23: 26th
  4. 23-24: 31st
winnipeg's power play was well-coached (top-5 twice, top half of the league 3/4 of his seasons there) and built around using his one-timer. columbus's has been poorly coached the whole time (bottom-10 in all 4 years) and not build around his one-timer.

this year he's only played 18 games (extremely small sample!) – mostly while recovering from a serious concussion – on a team that 1) stinks and 2) really stinks at setting up its stars to succeed. case in point:
  1. laine had a 6-3-9 statline in 18 games this season
  2. gaudreau had 3-7-10 in those same 18 games
  3. laine and gaudreau barely played together (72% of laine's 5v5 time was away from JG)
  4. gaudreau is on pace for a career-worst season despite good underlying numbers
this is, inarguably, a lost year for patrik laine. but the two years prior to this are a better indication of the player he actually is. so what exactly is that?

answer: a highly-productive complimentary piece on a good team, as evidenced by his 5v5 scoring rates during those seasons:

Laine Team/Season5v5 G/605v5 primary
A/60
5v5 primary
points/60
CBJ 22-230.970.751.72
CBJ 21-221.040.741.78
WPG 19-200.870.581.45
WPG 18-190.730.561.29
WPG 17-181.260.401.66
WPG 16-171.220.521.74

the g/60 numbers are down but the playmaking (primary A/60) went way up. that's not because he 'doesn't want to score' – it's because he went from playing with playmakers (ehlers + scheifele) to being asked to be the primary playmaker on his line (often with jenner, nyquist, etc).

columbus has largely asked laine to do different things (carrying/passing the puck) as a result of him having relatively weaker linemates, tougher assignments, and a worse power play. and he's done well enough at them to be a more productive 5v5 player than he was in winnipeg.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad