Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I've been openly critical and frustrated with Patrik. I am going to continue to be cautious with him until his future is determined but the past few weeks have shown why I was so frustrated. We haven't seen this current player before on this team since he was traded here. Forget the goals.....we all knew he was a good shooter. The rest of his game has been at a whole new level lately even with the mistakes he made last night. I just about choked when he went aggressively behind the Toronto net to try to get the puck. He needs to get more consistent with his overall play but this is the player I have been looking for.

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
Responding to the discussion in the locked thread about Laines surprisingly low number of OT goals (since joining the league).

The reason was not bad team mates in WPG. It was that he was a liability with fewer people on the ice. Weak defence, sloppy turnovers and managing to be at the worst place when he lost the puck. Hence his minutes was very limited

Reactions: Calendal

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Responding to the discussion in the locked thread about Laines surprisingly low number of OT goals (since joining the league).

The reason was not bad team mates in WPG. It was that he was a liability with fewer people on the ice. Weak defence, sloppy turnovers and managing to be at the worst place when he lost the puck. Hence his minutes was very limited

Thats perfectly fine way to look at it, nevertheless reduced minutes.

He had good teammates! Just that they were playing without him

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I thought he was always a superb 3 on 3 player. The less opponents the less blocks, that benefits the best shooter most.

He's patient and smart with the puck and understands it's a game of keepaway until you find an open chance.

Reactions: Halberdier

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

So he got benched because he was a liability in OT or on PK. Please explain further, this is interesting. One could say it might be a case of not leveraging a player's strengths. Hopefully he has improved towards a more complete player.

Reactions: Halberdier

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021

Difference is coaching, I think Lars is doing excellent work in that. For example last OT, Boone was there starting it, for winning FO and just in case playing D if FO is lost. As soon as puck was in own control he was changed to Jake to do offensive work. And that is how it is done.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Difference is coaching, I think Lars is doing excellent work in that. For example last OT, Boone was there starting it, for winning FO and just in case playing D if FO is lost. As soon as puck was in own control he was changed to Jake to do offensive work. And that is how it is done.
I think not this. Lars brings together two wingers who don't FO as well as the center, so instead of Voracek, Jenner starts. The other thing is interesting. In the start of season Jakub started, now Laine. All it took was for Patrik to get better defensively, forchecking and Lars gave him a chance. Of course coaching is better than in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Stubu

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I think not this. Lars brings together two wingers who don't FO as well as the center, so instead of Voracek, Jenner starts. The other thing is interesting. In the start of season Jakub started, now Laine. All it took was for Patrik to get better defensively, forchecking and Lars gave him a chance. Of course coaching is better than in Winnipeg.
And that is something Patrik likes, if you perform well you will get rewarded...

Reactions: Garbox and VT

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

We miss him here in Winnipeg, and it's great to see him have success in Columbus.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been openly critical and frustrated with Patrik. I am going to continue to be cautious with him until his future is determined but the past few weeks have shown why I was so frustrated. We haven't seen this current player before on this team since he was traded here. Forget the goals.....we all knew he was a good shooter. The rest of his game has been at a whole new level lately even with the mistakes he made last night. I just about choked when he went aggressively behind the Toronto net to try to get the puck. He needs to get more consistent with his overall play but this is the player I have been looking for.

Like the Finnish sources have said Laine has been in the best shape of his life the last years(thanks Barkov) but has been hit with injuries on both years

Now he is healthy the results are showing.

He has taken nutrition side to pro level as well.
Bodes well for future.

So in short what I know from living in Tampere Laine is taking his training seriously, including mobility training and food prepping as well.

Excited to see what he’ll look like in couple of years

Last edited:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
And again from the horses mouth (Antti Mäkinen) Patrik <realy realy likes it in Columbus. He said Laine rely likes the city, his teamates and the organization. Mäkinen says Patrik does not want to leave Columbus and he thinks he will sign a 5 year deal before the deadline.

Last edited:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
So he got benched because he was a liability in OT or on PK. Please explain further, this is interesting. One could say it might be a case of not leveraging a player's strengths. Hopefully he has improved towards a more complete player.

He has always had manures like carrying puck himself coast to coast, he did turnover too many times and was benched

Basically he thinks he is better than he really is, I love that but understand the problem

Reactions: majormajor

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think a 5 year deal is best for both him and the team. He'd be coming into UFA in his late 20s with a more defined role and the team has five years to build a winner around. If by year three or year four the team is still spinning their tires, it means that Jarmo will probably be gone and the new guy can get some assets for Laine.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If I’m Jarmo, my ideal scenario is agreement with Laine on a 5yr $8.0-8.25 AAV. What’s your thoughts on the what Jarmo should do?

Reactions: Jovavic

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
If I’m Jarmo, my ideal scenario is agreement with Laine on a 5yr $8.0-8.25 AAV. What’s your thoughts on the what Jarmo should do?
That would be great from a CBJ standpoint, but not great from a Laine standpoint.
If I'm Laine right now this would be my mindset- I like it here, I am willing to sign long term to stay here. I'm one of the best players in the league and if I'm going to sign a long term deal giving up the majority of my prime years, I'm damn sure going to get paid like one of the best players in the NHL. If they don't at least value me as the best player on the team and pay me like it, I'll take my chances with the one year deal.

This is why I think it takes at least $9.6m to sign him long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad