Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Asking people to stay off social media has like a zero percent success rate. It doesn't seem to matter how much money people make. You can watch billionaires turn into total babies on twitter because someone doesn't respect them. Human nature doesn't change with income.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don’t wanna sound like Vincent, but, it’s similar to a middle school kid being “cyber bullied”….
I've lost friends to that sort of thing before. Have a care.

And given that online interactions are a massive part of everyday schoolwork and life nowadays, it's about as avoidable for kids these days as it was possible to "just not go near them in the school halls if they're going to bully you". That personality type actively seeks out favorite victims. (Source: personal experience with one kid in particular who was twice my size and picked me out as a favorite target in middle school. After multiple police interventions - no, I'm not kidding or exaggerating - he was transferred to another school district (somewhere in Dublin IIRC) and made himself so welcome there he ultimately got knifed to death at a party in which "nobody saw anything".)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I feel so bad for Elaine, who’s a sweetheart. She didn’t get the “joke” at the time and didn’t react to it, and is now horrified and upset now that it’s been explained to her. And she’s getting smeared for being there with the rest of them. Ugh.
So lets ruin these guys lives and drive them to suicide!!!!

Wait….what’s the problem or goal again??

Laine has problems with and without these people existing.

Jokes about and talking about troubling issues have a more positive impact on them then ignoring them altogether.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Lots of people have been cyber bullied to suicide. If you're totally ignorant of the topic maybe not talk about it?
How does a human being gain physical strength??

How does a human being gain emotional or mental strength??

I guess it’s safe to say Laine doesn’t meditate with Barkov in the offseason.

There’s ALWAYS an initial problem that always gets ignored or brushed passed in these situations when the focus is put on “bullying”, whether online or in real life.

There’s almost ALWAYS a MORE GUILTY party involved and serious underlying issues in the bullied (or even bullyer’s) life that always gets absolved from the guilt when you blame serious issues on simple jokes or “picking on” a person.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How does a human being gain physical strength??

How does a human being gain emotional or mental strength??
Generally people gain strength by controlled training and practice rather than getting the stuffing beaten out of them, especially since the latter has other unpleasant side effects. Getting cold-cocked by some dick at the bar doesn't develop your physical strength any more productively than that kind of "joke" bullshit does your mental strength.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Generally people gain strength by controlled training and practice rather than getting the stuffing beaten out of them,

Ahh, no ma’am. Here we go once again, you and others putting TERRIBLE words into people’s mouths. It’s not about getting anything beaten in or out of them…it’s ABOUT THINKING AND WORKING THROUGH THINGS ON YOUR OWN. “Controlled training and practice” from who exactly?? The people who have literally CREATED the concept of “cyber bullying” and all the issues that come with it?? “Controlled” says it all.
especially since the latter has other unpleasant side effects. Getting cold-cocked by some dick at the bar doesn't develop your physical strength any more productively than that kind of "joke" bullshit does your mental strength.

What are you talking about!?! The answer is “adversity”. It’s not “enjoyable” to work out.

It’s not “enjoyable” for a fat person to be called “fat”. It doesn’t stop the fact that they ARE fat, and BEING FAT is affecting them negatively more than a person calling them fat.

I just want a good hockey team. I’m not sure what’s happening with this team anymore. A

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ahh, no ma’am. Here we go once again, you and others putting TERRIBLE words into people’s mouths. It’s not about getting anything beaten in or out of them…it’s ABOUT THINKING AND WORKING THROUGH THINGS ON YOUR OWN. “Controlled training and practice” from who exactly?? The people who have literally CREATED the concept of “cyber bullying” and all the issues that come with it?? “Controlled” says it all.
I was referring to things like going to the gym, or engaging with people you disagree with. You control your workout and/or whether or not you keep engaging with people.
What are you talking about!?! The answer is “adversity”. It’s not “enjoyable” to work out.
I feel obliged to point out that I have this on my wall literally next to me as I type this:

adversitydemotivator.jpeg

And I know plenty of people who do enjoy gym time, although I can't count myself among their number. The point being, it's still under the control of the person doing the workout. That's what makes it acceptable and preferable to getting randomly yelled at.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

It’s not “enjoyable” for a fat person to be called “fat”. It doesn’t stop the fact that they ARE fat, and BEING FAT is affects them negatively more than a person calling them fat.

I just want a good hockey team. I’m not sure what’s happening with this team anymore. A

I think you completely missed the point on Laine's comment in the first place and it has nothing to do with how much money he makes, or even Laine himself in the end. The concepts in this discussion are pretty simple (or at least were initially) - like I dunno, if you even remotely suspect someone might be suicidal, maybe joking about it is not very "cool"? If you can't understand that, maybe someday you will either because of the "benefit" of having some very unpleasant life experience (I don't wish that on anyone), or healing from the life experience you've already had that has left you scarred.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That seems incredibly excessive…

It’s a very dark joke, and people laughed at it. You want to ban them forever because of that?

It was stupid, they got called out on it, hopefully they realize why it was stupid, life should go on for everyone involved. I've certainly said a lot of stupid shit over the years I regretted later, but luckily it was not on twitter and no one cancelled me for being a thoughtless idiot.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think you completely missed the point on Laine's comment in the first place and it has nothing to do with how much money he makes, or even Laine himself in the end. The concepts in this discussion are pretty simple (or at least were initially) - like I dunno, if you even remotely suspect someone might be suicidal, maybe joking about it is not very "cool"? If you can't understand that, maybe someday you will either because of the "benefit" of having some very unpleasant life experience (I don't wish that on anyone), or healing from the life experience you've already had that has left you scarred.
Ok, what is the point??

Hypothetical scenario. What if you DONT think somebody is ACTUALLY “suicidal” and you are making a joke?? To add, Is that even where we really are with Laine? What if we also completely ACKNOWLEDGE suicide as a problem and want to focus on the fact that there is almost always an underlying issue that is the DIRECT CAUSE, that has nothing to do with talking or “joking” about these issues.

The concept of suicide is not “funny”. Thinking that joking about suicide is a bigger problem or being more vocal about the jokes themselves than the ISSUES that cause suicide, is NOT POSITIVE.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Irrespective of the fact that this is a thread about Patrik Laine…

Making a ”joke” in a public forum insinuating that a real-life other person who is not a person known to you personally has contemplated taking their life is not a more positive healthy way to address the issue of suicide as a society than not making a “joke” about it.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
It's a bad joke and a low blow. It's upsetting that kind of "content" is even getting viewed. It's also unfair to say that person was serious, its stupid to thing to say and you should be responsible for your actions but let's put down the pitch forks. Canceling people is dumb. Sorry to Patty as no one should have to hear that type of thing.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
It’s a joke. Its just a borderline terrible joke, however. I’ve never heard it before, so I guess you could say it’s original, that’s about it. The subject matter isn’t the actual issue. Is a person like Norm MacDonald (or any other famous comedian) a terrible human being because of “offensive” humor?? [MOD]

Why do professional athletes get paid the amounts of money they get paid? The real issue here is that Laine is seeing any of this AND GIVES ANY f*** AT ALL ABOUT THESE PEOPLE. You wanna passive aggressive dose of reality, that I’m sure will be acceptable because it’s also taking shit against these people?? That dude making that comment is probably LITERALLY more “sad” about life than Laine is. Except this is HIS way to express it as he has no “support system”, emotionally or financially, in any means similar to a millionaire athlete.

How “sad” do you have to be to think that line is funny? Where does the “sympathy” begin and end??

And really, damn, how have I never thought about Elaine before. Dude needs to realize his life is better than the VAST majority of people on earth.
If you keep track of the CBJ prospects in Cleveland, you've almost certainly read Elaine's writing. She's at Monster games more than any other writer.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have never heard of the saying in question, but it was quite clear what the intent was behind the joke. I don't know anyone involved on this podcast and have never heard of the podcast itself before today, but from the 40 seconds of research it sounds like its a fan driven show that looks for "hot takes" or emotional discussion rather than insightful discussion about the team. Which is all good on my end.

Obviously, however, that's not what this is.

It's hard to put into words the way I feel. The "joke" in saying is something some teenager would say to their friends or post online in order to seem edgy and get a reaction. These are grown men. The part that just makes me laugh is the fact these guys know that their faces, names, and social media tags are all over the place on their own podcast, and they still said it, edited it, and posted it. They had so many chances to avoid this, and they didn't. Usually social media idiots hide behind fake names and pictures, but they in broad daylight exposed themselves. I know if I was ever on any podcast with my name and face attached to it, I would do my best to be on my best behavior regardless of if I was shooting the breeze with some friends. The internet is forever.

As far as banning them from NWA or something, I think thats a bit too far. Its not like they personally threatened Laine or anything. I think the public embarrassment to the hockey world of their "joke" with their names and faces plastered everywhere, as well as the probable burial of their hobby, is probably enough of a punishment given their actions.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I feel bad for those guys, they were being idiots and put themselves and some other people in a horrible spot. Self-inflected, sure, but still. Good to hear a proper apology. Hopefully people accept that and everyone moves on.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Good for them to take responsibility and post that apology. I hope the lynch mob puts away the pitch forks too - like many here have said people make mistakes and we need to move on and not condemn them for life.

If there's a silver lining, I hope that other podcasters think about what they say a little bit more carefully.

Reactions: Calendal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad