Speculation: Patrick Sharp trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not sure why the islanders aren't going after both sharp and Bickell. Think they would bring a lot to an up and coming team. Only 2 years on their contracts. I'm not sure of the islanders exact situation , but yeah, sharp and a healthy, motivated Bickell would do wonders. I think they make it out of the first round with sharp and Bickell.

Why would a promising team like Isles want a waste of roster space like Bryan Bickell?

They have a better player in Grabner they cant fit in lineup at this point

And a motivated Bryan Bickell only exists in a contract year when leaching off elite talent such as Kane/Toews

Nov 9, 2014
Those complaining about the trade. Do a roster without the trade with Saad at 6 million and do one with the trade. I would assume the Hawks retain at least 2 million on Bickell and Sharp is somehow gone. It's a better way to look at it.

I have, and I like the roster with Saad on it better. Those saying the Hawks couldn't afford Saad - explain how Bowman was willing to keep Saad at $5M AAV (which demonstrates he clearly thought a roster could be put together at that number) but "couldn't afford" to keep Saad at $6M AAV. The $1M difference was the difference between whether Kruger could get a raise or be let go. Stan decided that Anisimov, Dano and Kruger was superior to Saad and Danault (to replace Kruger). That's a reasonable position. But it's wrong to keep saying the Hawks couldn't afford Saad when they very easily could have. This isn't a 2010 situation.

BlackhawksFan615

Jul 5, 2015
The team will be so much better this year it is not even close...the new underpaid. ..Dano and Panarin seeing that a medicare 55-55 point range guys in Saad and O''Reilly got megabucks deals are now drooling at going all out to impact bigger than those guys did last year..Thus they will not ...I repeat not...be tempted to joining the fat cats in their annual pilgrimage to the Q Country Club from Jan 1 till the end of the regular season..you know ...the fat cats going no show so often in Jan Feb and March that the "Dynasty " flirts with 7 and 8 th place going into the final 2 weeks of 5he regular sad on. ..Nope..instead they will play so well and try so 9f ten that they will shame the fat cats into akso actually trying harder 8n the 2nd half..They will shame the $10.5 million poster boys into actually earnings g that dough by playing 82 games instead of 41 try games and 4 in the Q reclining lounge at 5he Country Club. THEY and other newcomers will be "hungry" realizing b8g Gough awaits if 9nly they put up impressive numbers...maybe not 5he Hawks paying them megabucks after 2 great season ns impressing and producing..but why should they care about that?THEIR goal is to join Saad and O'Reilly in breaking the bank and if they get more points than those two they will get even more than those 2 fleeced their teams for with mere 50 -55 point range "starness"..Imagine how much they will make in the 70 or 80 point ranges? The incentive us there..the sky is the limit...T and K will be dragged along not wanting to be shamed for fat-cat ting and producing less than $10.5 million smackeroos would suggest.This 8s all good for Hawks fans..Had we given Saad such a huge raise for such a long tern even our line #1..no way he ever would get so consistently s5arry as to earn all that dough flowing 8n to his bank account. .Nope ..he would have "followed" the lead of T and K into the annual fat-cat 2nd half nosedive whilst they all repaired to the Q Country Club as soon as the calendar started the New Year on Jan 1st..work hard ...try ...until Jan 1st. .then coast 8t home ..Leave the switch in "off"..Only turn back "on" in playoffs...Stare at your overflowing bank account all through Jan Feb and March..cheat the fans who pay big dollars t9 attend games those months...let Q or shame never get you to hustle as you ought to 8n 5he 2nd half too as you did 8n the first half..But this year ..a couple of hungrier yutes are gonna drag the fat cat vets with them into actually competition h and playing "A" games throughout the entire season...That is why I an so excited for this season.

It's a long, grueling season. Those "fat cats" have three rings, so they must be doing something right.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I still think we are going to get a couple of 6.5 prospects for Sharp and no NHL contract. I could see the Finnish kid Lammiko coming over-----maybe with Downing since Florida will have a log jam with young D men shortly. Then, hopefully we can buy out Bickell and get Oduya for a home town discount.

Bhay99

May 3, 2010
Chicago
I have, and I like the roster with Saad on it better. Those saying the Hawks couldn't afford Saad - explain how Bowman was willing to keep Saad at $5M AAV (which demonstrates he clearly thought a roster could be put together at that number) but "couldn't afford" to keep Saad at $6M AAV. The $1M difference was the difference between whether Kruger could get a raise or be let go. Stan decided that Anisimov, Dano and Kruger was superior to Saad and Danault (to replace Kruger). That's a reasonable position. But it's wrong to keep saying the Hawks couldn't afford Saad when they very easily could have. This isn't a 2010 situation.

News flash: you can't sign someone who doesn't want to be signed. If Saad was reasonable with his negotiations it could have happened. I don't buy all this BS about him having no clue what his agent was demanding. Also, why bend over to his $6.5M when you can get a younger compareable player in a trade and address the 2C issue all at once?

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Saad is a greedy punk. Defend him all you want and blame his agent, but let's be honest, he wanted more money so he left.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I just can't feel mad towards Saad. He got what he has earned. Unfortunately the Hawks weren't in a position to give it to him. I'll always cherish the two cups that he was a very big part of. I hope he has a great 6 years in Columbus. It wouldn't shock me if the Hawks met Saad in the SCF sometime in the next few years. They are a very good young team.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada

Well yeah...that's the point. The Hawks FO obviously feels AA, Dano, Kruger, + a better chance at future financial flexibility is more important than signing Saad to a 6 AAV. Just because you can technically/hypothetically put together a roster with Saad at 6 AAV doesn't mean it's smart. I think that's what most people mean by affordable (including myself).

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just can't feel mad towards Saad. He got what he has earned. Unfortunately the Hawks weren't in a position to give it to him. I'll always cherish the two cups that he was a very big part of. I hope he has a great 6 years in Columbus. It wouldn't shock me if the Hawks met Saad in the SCF sometime in the next few years. They are a very good young team.

My thoughts exactly. It's not one or the other. You can still love Saad and cherish the moments he provided and still think logically about what the Hawks are doing. He just happened to be an RFA at the wrong time for the Hawks.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I take all of Dano, AA, and Kruger over Saad any day. Dano even plays a similar game to Saad

agreed but lots of work yet to be done to see it all pan out....at least two contracts got to be shipped out and then Kruger and a Dman need to be wrapped up...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Saad could only get 53 points on our vaunted line #1...that us either an indictment of him or of the now over $15.2 million in Toews and Hossa combined...Obviously if Saad goes bananas in Columbus with much greater production...justifying his higher pay scale..then that would in fact indct Toews and Hossa for being overvalued and simply not producing enough to ignite the talent of the LW they played with...On the other hand...if Saad bombs in Columbus and Panarin or Dano...whichever plays LW on our new line #1,vastly exceeds what Saad did with them then nobody 9n Chicago will even remember Saad?Toews and Hossa will be vindicated...0roving it was Saad who dragged down their production..and the new boy on the block will be celebrated and worries begin about how to keep him in 3 years from the leverage his agent will get from the mere threat 9f offer sheets as a big megabucks contract demand will surely come then...53 points is nothing..is that all Saad could do..with the "greatness of his 2 top line mates? You expect a really elite LW would produce 70 points or more on that line..So let us find out if Panarin or Dano...whoever plays LW on that #1 line is much more exceptional than Saad or not...can improve the production of Toews and Hossa which Saad hardly could be said to do...if the new guy does all that ..then who cares Saad went..in that case we are far better off...So let us find out..Panarin and Dano are different skill sets than Saad..but the key will be..whoever plays #1 line LW...can he produce more points than Saad by a significant margin? Can he improve the line ..dragging Toews and Hossa to higher production.? I think we find the answer is going to be yes...in which case nobody will miss Saad.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
My overall impression is that over all 82 games Saad dominated a game as best player on the ice maybe at best in 10%of the games...and that is being generous..From what I saw of Panarin's talent he could be impacting games to a significantly higher amount than that 20-30% of games ..which is the elite level...Saad may have potential to eventually get there bit at this point was way too inconsistent with way too many games with no points and nothing looking dangerous..Yes in a few games he took over the game and made a big fifference..but way too few times to be put 8n to Elite player status...he needs to get more consists impact on games and until he does he is not worth his contract ..

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Post the rosters. They could afford him at the expense of other players this year. It just wasn't next year's cap hit, it was the term.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
The thing is about Saad is that he was more of a finesse power forward. I never saw him in an altercation of any type and while he was pretty strong along the boards, he never checked hard either. So, in reality he isn't a power forwards as much as a speedy, young forward with some under utilized size. From what I've read, Dano could be the equivalent and for 1/5th the cost. Time to move on from this one.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Saad is a greedy punk. Defend him all you want and blame his agent, but let's be honest, he wanted more money so he left.

Saad had all right to ask for big $$$

I mean he see's Stan giving away $$$ to non NHL talent like Rundblad and then saw Stan give Bickell 4 yrs / 16M deal

If Bickell is worth 4M in Stan's eyes ,, Then it is more then fair to expect 6M yearly AAV

Bhay99

May 3, 2010
Chicago
Saad had all right to ask for big $$$

I mean he see's Stan giving away $$$ to non NHL talent like Rundblad and then saw Stan give Bickell 4 yrs / 16M deal

If Bickell is worth 4M in Stan's eyes ,, Then it is more then fair to expect 6M yearly AAV

Yeah Rundblad getting $1M per year had a lot to do with what Saad was asking for....:laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Saad gets traded and everybody loses their mind

on the other side, a proven and well liked core part with 3x Stanley Cups has to go and nobody really cares. Everybody around here is quick to trade him and can't wait to get him off the roster - at least it Looks like that.

We've seen Rosters with Saad making 6.0 on the Hawks... we could Keep Sharp too.

skiba77777

Jun 24, 2013
Saad gets traded and everybody loses their mind

on the other side, a proven and well liked core part with 3x Stanley Cups has to go and nobody really cares. Everybody around here is quick to trade him and can't wait to get him off the roster - at least it Looks like that.

We've seen Rosters with Saad making 6.0 on the Hawks... we could Keep Sharp too.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Sharp is old and bad and Saad is young and good.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Sharp had 10 days to supply his trade list. I wonder if that has had anything to do with the delay in trading him. Maybe they won the cup, STAN gave him to the parade then asked for a list.

I Donno just spitballing

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

No reason to be angry at Saad, but when I hear that he was "stunned" the Hawks traded him, I can't help but feel sorry for him. I feel that Saad was bluffing and thought he could have his contract and play for the Hawks. I truly believe that if Saad could unwind the clock, he would have accpeted Bowman's reported $5M offer.

In the shorter term, the Hawks are likely a better team.

If Saad develops like many think he is capable of developing, the Hawks will have lost a potential core player. If Dano is actually as good as he looked last year in 30 odd games, this could be a huge win for Chicago.

As it was, both teams got what they wanted and needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad