Speculation: Patrick Marleau turned down higher offers during UFA because he wanted to play for Babcock

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
so babcock couldn't convince him to take 2 years instead of 3....................................

To be fair, the third year of the contract only pays like 1.5M. It's probably one of the easiest deals to get rid of.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Seems to me like the way his contract is put together is also a good reason why he chose Toronto. He basically gets all his contract by July of the last year. If he decides he wants to go back to SJ or anywhere for that matter after July the next team only has to pay 1.5 in actual salary.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Love the on pace stuff...............how bout ya give it the three seasons, and not 40 games, and see where it all ends up...............it's a bad contract, and everyone knows it........no wonder he jumped at the chance to play for LeBabs!! lol
Bro.... Marleau has more points than anyone on your team.... Playing in a third line checking role.... "lol" indeed.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Bro.... Marleau has more points than anyone on your team.... Playing in a third line checking role.... "lol" indeed.

Dont think you can call it a checking line or a third line, Kadri 32 g 29 ass 61 p without Marleau last season, clearly the Leafs 2 C !
Marleau also plays PP with Matthews and Nylander!

Steep price to pay for a close 40 years old Checking liner! Marleau was /are a really good Twoway player and probably signed mostly for his vet presence and impact to a young unexperienced squad .

He will be gone before they have a team to contender with, so the overpayment doesnt matter, Must certainly good for the kids anyway!

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Dont think you can call it a checking line or a third line, Kadri 32 g 29 ass 61 p without Marleau last season, clearly the Leafs 2 C !
Marleau also plays PP with Matthews and Nylander!

Steep price to pay for a close 40 years old Checking liner! Marleau was /are a really good Twoway player and probably signed mostly for his vet presence and impact to a young unexperienced squad .

He will be gone before they have a team to contender with, so the overpayment doesnt matter, Must certainly good for the kids anyway!

I mean its either he's the third line or the jvr/marner/bozak is the third line...which ever way you slice it, leafs fans are more than happy with how he's played. And yes, it absolutely is a checking line. Besides Matthews, its the 3 best defensive forwards on the team.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I mean its either he's the third line or the jvr/marner/bozak is the third line...which ever way you slice it, leafs fans are more than happy with how he's played. And yes, it absolutely is a checking line. Besides Matthews, its the 3 best defensive forwards on the team.

Leafs has 3 scoring lines, Kadri is the clear 2 C of the team and had 32 goals last season, wouldnt call him a checkingliner because he happens to be a good defensive player also. Marleau are also a good twoway player who also plays PP with Auston and Nylander , plays 3-3 in ot!

Hyman are the incarnation of a checking liner, though he plays in the first line!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Leafs has 3 scoring lines, Kadri is the clear 2 C of the team and had 32 goals last season, wouldnt call him a checkingliner because he happens to be a good defensive player also. Marleau are also a good twoway player who also plays PP with Auston and Nylander , plays 3-3 in ot!

Hyman are the incarnation of a checking liner, though he plays in the first line!
Are you okay?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

We really don't have a line 1, line 2, line 3. We have a top nine, then a fourth line.

Bozak/Marner/JVR is our first PP unit, Kadri/Marleau/Komarov is usually our matchup line, and then Matthews/Nylander/Hyman is our best offensive line. You really could make an argument for any of these lines being 1st, 2nd or 3rd, though I would argue Matthews is the clear cut #1 line since it features Matthews who gets our most ES most of the time.

In terms of offense I'd rate them Matthews line, Bozak line, and then Kadri line. In terms of defense I'd rate them as Kadri line, Matthews line, and then Bozak line.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
This won't be the last time a player picks the leafs to play with because of Babs. Many players like and want to play for him. On a side note why does a hockey discussion end up including Trump? Lmao
Because most people just believe what they see on tv or read on the internet. So it's easy to win an argument by just calling someone a Trump supporter.
But if you were to look at the numbers, what Trump has done so far is great for the States.
And also agreed, political beliefs should have no place in a discussion about a hockey player.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Are you okay?

I have nothing against the Leafs as a team, Kadri are a dirty player, but with skills, probably the Leafs 2 most important player. Have a bit problem with an unrealistic fan base(big part), at least loudest. I dont know if its because you have starved for talent and hope for a long time.

Im not a Leafs hater because i dont think Marner are a future star player, or that i dont think Gardiner and Rielly are no 1 defenders or that i think its take a mile more then jvr and kapanen to get a a real first D!

Im realistic over mine own team and prospects, has always been, expect the same from other fanbases , at least at the mainboard.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I have nothing against the Leafs as a team, Kadri are a dirty player, but with skills, probably the Leafs 2 most important player. Have a bit problem with an unrealistic fan base(big part), at least loudest. I dont know if its because you have starved for talent and hope for a long time.

Im not a Leafs hater because i dont think Marner are a future star player, or that i dont think Gardiner and Rielly are no 1 defenders or that i think its take a mile more then jvr and kapanen to get a a real first D!

Im realistic over mine own team and prospects, has always been, expect the same from other fanbases , at least at the mainboard.
I cannot comprehend what you're trying to say.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To be fair, the third year of the contract only pays like 1.5M. It's probably one of the easiest deals to get rid of.

It won't be that easy. He has a full NMC and he has a very high likelihood of being a good and healthy player that will want to try and win. If the Leafs are a contending team, he's going to say no to a lot of teams and a lot of the good teams may not have the cap space to take on the cap number.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It won't be that easy. He has a full NMC and he has a very high likelihood of being a good and healthy player that will want to try and win. If the Leafs are a contending team, he's going to say no to a lot of teams and a lot of the good teams may not have the cap space to take on the cap number.

Sure, but that’s all things we can’t control. If the third year was needed for him to sign, it’s set up about as well as you could want.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
But but but, Chis Chelios and Mike Commadore said no veterans would come to Toronto because they don't like Babcock

how can those great hockey minds be wrong?

I don't remember Commodore ever saying that. If he did, it got lost in all his "Babcock is a piece of ****" twitter rants accompanied by the very original hashtag.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There were actually teams that offered him more money? IMO the contract he got was insane as it is for his age. Crazy

is it though? he has 24 points and 15 goals, already and he has that total while his center, Nazem Kadri has gone into the tank offensively with ` goal in his last 14 games, that's it 1 goal, and even that was reviewed, I would like to see Marleau bag a couple more assists sure but that is hard to do when neither Komarov nor Kadri can put the puck in the ocean right now.

Yet Marleau is still scoring at a decent rate, if only he had some help on that line, but he doesn't and hasn't since November 30th

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure, but that’s all things we can’t control. If the third year was needed for him to sign, it’s set up about as well as you could want.

I agree with that. It would behoove the Leafs to win the Cup this year or next year to make that decision easier for Marleau. haha

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
People who throw the term SJW around aren't any better. Just saying. At least equally annyoing .

People calling out that guy are as bad as that guy... yeah, false equivalency if there ever was one.

And SJWs were the ones who embraced and popularized the term which without social context has a positive connotation. How do you refer to them if not how they refer to themselves?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Celebrities and/or their spouses go on twitter to see if people are talking about them in order to engage them? I just got way less sad about my own life.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
This is from his wife on Twitter. As far as I think we all knew, it was between the Sharks and Leafs, and he went with the Leafs for more money. However apparently there were more offers for more money. I wonder which teams they were, and what the offers might have been.

Any speculation?
At a golf tourney I was told from a very good source Edmonton and Montreal were also involved in talks with Edmonton only offering a one year deal, no details on the Montreal offer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People calling out that guy are as bad as that guy... yeah, false equivalency if there ever was one.

And SJWs were the ones who embraced and popularized the term which without social context has a positive connotation. How do you refer to them if not how they refer to themselves?

In general, I would agree it being a false equivalency but in the SJW case, it absolutely is. How being an sjw has been twisted to be a pejorative doesn't make any sense on the face of it. If you're not one, are you not for social justice? Just seems weird to me but it's OT. I don't see how that term gets applied to this thread and even those people. It's just a single jaded fan upset at a player leaving.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
As others have said, it was probably more per year but either one or two years. So you can spin that as either more money with the Leafs or more money with the other team.

Christina Marleau said "higher offers". She didn't specify over what time period, e.g., higher per year, higher overall comp package. Patty didn't want to sign with the Sharks bc they wouldn't give him the term he wanted so it wouldn't surprise me if he turned down other teams' offers bc of that, even if they were slightly more per year. Plus, he knows and likes Babs and Babs knows and likes him. That takes some risk out changing teams.

Higher offers typically means highest overall salary.
I do think Babcock was the main reason why he left. You could tell that Deboer/Marleau never really saw eye-to-eye and there was reported drama early in the season and in the playoffs. I think San Jose would have to really entice him (not just an extra year, but even the same salary) for him to consider staying, which is understandable.

A team like LA/Anaheim definitely could have offered him more, and I agree with the other poster who suggested that Babcock + East was the deciding factor. Marleau still loves San Jose, so he probably wouldn't want to go to a division rival and play them multiple times a year and possibly every 1st or 2nd round for the next 3 seasons. In Toronto, he plays San Jose twice in the regular season, and he would never play them in the playoffs unless both teams got to the SCF.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In general, I would agree it being a false equivalency but in the SJW case, it absolutely is. How being an sjw has been twisted to be a pejorative doesn't make any sense on the face of it. If you're not one, are you not for social justice? Just seems weird to me but it's OT. I don't see how that term gets applied to this thread and even those people. It's just a single jaded fan upset at a player leaving.

It's the fact that they're using "social justice" as a crutch for hypocritical, self righteous sanctimony and virtue signaling while having zero self awareness. They get to define what "social justice" (an extremely nebulous term open to any type of interpretation imaginable) is and everyone has to agree or be hounded to the ends of the earth as a racist/sexist/whateverist should their beliefs not align with those of SJWs. Do you think the poster hounding Patrick Marleau about his income realizes that they themselves in the 1% and make more than 99% of people in the world and they could easily give 90% of it away because it's the right thing to do? Does accusing others of being Trump supporters (as if that's a bad thing) while casually dropping "she looks like the type who married for money" not strike you as utterly repulsive sexism and lack of self awareness?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad