Speculation: Patrick Marleau turned down higher offers during UFA because he wanted to play for Babcock

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't know if they were ever proven true, but weren't there trade rumors following Marleau for an entire season or two back when San Jose missed the playoffs a couple years ago? If those rumors were true then San Jose became disloyal first. If I'm Marleau, it became all business after that. Loyalty is out the window.

There were always rumors about Marleau, every single damn season. Frankly I was always impressed he stayed as long as he did. He always got too much flack from the fans.

The reason Marleau went to the Leafs is because they offered him a better chance at winning a Cup. I’m sure the massive contract offer didn’t hurt at all, but contrary to popular opinion, Marleau is a very competitive guy who wants to win. I personally am thrilled to see him succeeding so far in Toronto.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Glad he picked the Leafs. He's been a great addition and the big money he got fits fine into the Leafs salaries going forward especially with expiring contracts and a rising cap.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You would never guess he's 38 when the game starts.

A tremendous skater that often beats out younger players in puck races. Not to mention he's a robot who never misses a game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But but but, Chis Chelios and Mike Commadore said no veterans would come to Toronto because they don't like Babcock

how can those great hockey minds be wrong?

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Love the on pace stuff...............how bout ya give it the three seasons, and not 40 games, and see where it all ends up...............it's a bad contract, and everyone knows it........no wonder he jumped at the chance to play for LeBabs!! lol
Lol love how this goof disregards like 20 years of data saying he’s one of the most durable and consistent players in the history of the game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As a long-time Sharks fan, I agree with you. People who continue to comment on his age must not watch him play. He doesn't miss games and he still has elite speed. But age is an issue....why?

Because he got a 3 year deal and Matthews and Marner are up in 2, I personally don't care, I love the fact he's a Leaf but that is why

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ducks and Stars were the other 2 teams than Sharks and leafs that were in the running.

Stars signed Radulov the next day, so you have to wonder if that's the higher offer that he didn't take.

Difficult to believe Radulov would be a second choice to Marleau.

I can't imagine any team would prefer Marleau to Radulov.

Reactions: Dave Karp

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
so babcock couldn't convince him to take 2 years instead of 3....................................

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Z3dE1m1.png

This is from his wife on Twitter. As far as I think we all knew, it was between the Sharks and Leafs, and he went with the Leafs for more money. However apparently there were more offers for more money. I wonder which teams they were, and what the offers might have been.

Any speculation?
Yikes that guy got wrecked

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Love the on pace stuff...............how bout ya give it the three seasons, and not 40 games, and see where it all ends up...............it's a bad contract, and everyone knows it........no wonder he jumped at the chance to play for LeBabs!! lol
Everyone here judged and assessed and ridiculed the signing after he played zero games, but it's blasphemy for Leafs fans make a comment on it after 40 games? Get out of here.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jesus Christ that twitter screenshot gave me cancer. Self righteous SJWs are the absolute worst

People who throw the term SJW around aren't any better. Just saying. At least equally annyoing .

Not really sure who would offer Marleau more than what the got from Toronto. It's already a pretty hefty contract for an 38 year old.

Albeit i wouldn't be suprised if Hitch at first pushed for Marleau .

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyromaniac

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Uh okay? That's an odd comparison :laugh:

Marleau is a 50 point winger making $6.25 million a year. Just looking at that, that's fine. Then you see he's 38, that's the issue. The Leafs gave him a bad contract based on his age, but I think it says a lot if someone offered an even worse contract. It was probably some idiot like Bergevin or Chiarelli.
Many reports suggest that actually Ducks were in a deep deep run for Marleau and was pretty close but Toronto came on top in the end.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Per media reports, agents, family members, GMs, and players, no free agent has ever taken the highest offer made to him ever.

As others have said, it was probably more per year but either one or two years. So you can spin that as either more money with the Leafs or more money with the other team.

Christina Marleau said "higher offers". She didn't specify over what time period, e.g., higher per year, higher overall comp package. Patty didn't want to sign with the Sharks bc they wouldn't give him the term he wanted so it wouldn't surprise me if he turned down other teams' offers bc of that, even if they were slightly more per year. Plus, he knows and likes Babs and Babs knows and likes him. That takes some risk out changing teams.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
This may be completely inaccurate however my guess is that Marleau took an offer from Toronto because he wanted to have his 5 sons growing up in a "hockey market". Marleau's son has a stall in the practice arena and skates regularly with members of the team. Obviously not the only factor but i assume hes playing in the GTHL as-well.

Reactions: shortfuze

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
As a long-time Sharks fan, I agree with you. People who continue to comment on his age must not watch him play. He doesn't miss games and he still has elite speed. But age is an issue....why?

Dunno, not like everyone just saw Jagr play very good hockey the past two and some change years with the Panthers breaking records at 42+ years old.
Sure, a majority of players slow down/breakdown after 30 something years old, but we also see these guys who can push father time further than others.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember being kinda bummed that Dallas lost out on Marleau, but Radulov has been even better as a free agent pickup. No complaints here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad