Speculation: Patrick Marleau turned down higher offers during UFA because he wanted to play for Babcock

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I replied to a post that said "because they support or voted trump". My reply was within that context.

Oh I read the post, thus the clarifying question which yielded an affirmative reply within a preferred context.

Is it then fair to say that, you, the person, would have no problem being "attacked" (in whatever definition you also predicate a preferred context) in similar fashion irrespective of your argument?

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Jeez, if someone offered more than the Leafs for Marleau, that's horrendous. Imagine paying a 38-40 year old player (maybe even longer) $7 million a year (maybe even more). That's hilarious.
He was probably offered a 1 year deal worth around 7m.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Jeez, if someone offered more than the Leafs for Marleau, that's horrendous. Imagine paying a 38-40 year old player (maybe even longer) $7 million a year (maybe even more). That's hilarious.
Well he doesn't play like a 38 year old generally does. Maybe teams put more stock into his ability than the date on his birth certificate, weird as that may seem.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was more shocked at the fact he left San Jose, if I was in his shoes I'd retire with the team I spent my whole career with.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

On pace for 30 goals and 48-50 points on a checking line mostly, not to shabby for a guy many called over the hill and laughed at the Leafs for signing him btw.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
On pace for 30 goals and 48-50 points on a checking line mostly, not to shabby for a guy many called over the hill and laughed at the Leafs for signing him btw.
Love the on pace stuff...............how bout ya give it the three seasons, and not 40 games, and see where it all ends up...............it's a bad contract, and everyone knows it........no wonder he jumped at the chance to play for LeBabs!! lol

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Love the on pace stuff...............how bout ya give it the three seasons, and not 40 games, and see where it all ends up...............it's a bad contract, and everyone knows it........no wonder he jumped at the chance to play for LeBabs!! lol
He scored 27 just last season. Is that not enough of a sample size for you?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Yet most are quick to proclaim rookies Barzal and Boeser as the next big thing over the same stretch, I'll trust the guy that's been in the league since they were in diapers.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
More surprised there were higher offers. Marleau wanting to play with Babcock comes as no surprise at all. As has already been said, Marleau was one of a very select few players that Babcock went out of his way to praise/defend.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Z3dE1m1.png

This is from his wife on Twitter. As far as I think we all knew, it was between the Sharks and Leafs, and he went with the Leafs for more money. However apparently there were more offers for more money. I wonder which teams they were, and what the offers might have been.

Any speculation?

wow. christina marleau ROASTED that dude

member 147413

He’s a great mentor for our developing stars and Leafs aren’t/won’t be in cap trouble for the duration of his contract. I’m ecstatic he’s a Leaf.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

15 goals this year playing mostly 2nd line LW/C

why would we give it 3 seasons? then the contract is over and there is no reason to discuss it.
Everyone and their dog knows full well the leafs probably trade marleau or send him to robidas island if he cant play anymore for that 3rd year. but consider this

2015-2016: 25g/48pts
2016-2017: 27g/46pts
2017-2018: 29g/47pt - 82 game pace

pretty consistent no? pretty sure Marleau will still be putting in 20+ per year as a 40yr old. Jagr had 66pts as a 44yr old and he isnt half as quick as marleau

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I was more shocked at the fact he left San Jose, if I was in his shoes I'd retire with the team I spent my whole career with.

I don't know if they were ever proven true, but weren't there trade rumors following Marleau for an entire season or two back when San Jose missed the playoffs a couple years ago? If those rumors were true then San Jose became disloyal first. If I'm Marleau, it became all business after that. Loyalty is out the window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad