Speculation: Patrick Marleau turned down higher offers during UFA because he wanted to play for Babcock

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Z3dE1m1.png

This is from his wife on Twitter. As far as I think we all knew, it was between the Sharks and Leafs, and he went with the Leafs for more money. However apparently there were more offers for more money. I wonder which teams they were, and what the offers might have been.

Any speculation?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ducks and Stars were the other 2 teams than Sharks and leafs that were in the running.

Stars signed Radulov the next day, so you have to wonder if that's the higher offer that he didn't take.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can see a lot of athletes supporting Trump and tax agenda just for their financial gain. Maybe they disagree with other aspects of his agenda. But who cares?

Athletes like all workers, work for one employer for various reasons, it isn't all money.

Surely there are lot HF Boarders who have turned down better paying jobs because, 1, they didn't like the shift, 2. didn't want to relocate, 3. didn't think they would like their new boss or coworkers. 4, family didn't want to locate. 5, maybe just the fear of something new, cosy with the status quo.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This information is somewhat useful as there is a minority faction on the Leafs board that criticise Babcock as a coach on the basis that players don’t want to play for him. Looks like he got us Marleau at below market price.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I assume Toronto was his choice because:
1) He assumed he'd get to play some big minutes with kids
2) Play for Babcock
3) Not do SJ dirty for almost two decades of service; and sign with a team that'd play them a bunch.

If Marleau sees SJ in the playoffs, it'd be in a very improbable cup final.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This is not surprising at all. Babcock has always been very vocal with his praise for Marleau. During Babcock’s tenure with the Wings, Marleau was the non Wing he would consistently praise. Their was also the comment years ago defending Marleau, when Marleau was being critiszed quite a bit, from an anonymous coach that was clearly Babcock.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
As a Leaf follower, I still question the three year deal at 6.25m Marleau's nice but at that price, Leivo/Kapanen could have been given ice time (yea not as good). But 6m could've got a upgrade on defence, even if it was a short term deal.

Redgren Grumholdt. Thanks for your insight on US taxes. So many folks on this site (and others) really don't know taxes. In Canada, it's a players residence, not where he plays/work that is a big factor in deciding tax rate. And players are to incorporate (especially high end guys) so they don't pay the high personal tax rate on a chunk of their money.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not surprised by the Babcock factor, When he was still coaching in Detroit there had been some speculation that Detroit might have interest in Marleau due to Babs of course it never materialized but there was talk.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
This won't be the last time a player picks the leafs to play with because of Babs. Many players like and want to play for him. On a side note why does a hockey discussion end up including Trump? Lmao

Reactions: FierceFalcon

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Jeez, if someone offered more than the Leafs for Marleau, that's horrendous. Imagine paying a 38-40 year old player (maybe even longer) $7 million a year (maybe even more). That's hilarious.
Imagine said player having more points than anyone on the Montreal Canadiens. Happy with the signing when it happened, happier now.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine said player having more points than anyone on the Montreal Canadiens. Happy with the signing when it happened, happier now.

Uh okay? That's an odd comparison :laugh:

Marleau is a 50 point winger making $6.25 million a year. Just looking at that, that's fine. Then you see he's 38, that's the issue. The Leafs gave him a bad contract based on his age, but I think it says a lot if someone offered an even worse contract. It was probably some idiot like Bergevin or Chiarelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->