Injury Report: Patrick Kane - UPDATED 4/13/15: Medically cleared!!!

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I understand why Q doesn't do it. But who are Kuc's "sources" that he can't say what the timetable is. I'll wait for somebody better than Kuc to report on it.

Done.

Mark Lazerus:

Hearing Patrick Kane's injury is "significant." No timetable yet. #Blackhawks

Saucey

Jun 25, 2014
I have broken my collar bone before, and by the way Kane was hunched over, getting off the bench had a very similar resemblance to how I carried myself immediately after. Holding his own arm hunched over to take strain off his collar bone.
Took me 4 weeks and I was healed fine.

:(

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He can get back from a collar bone by playoff time. He'll probably be done until then though.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Maybe this is a blessing? Misses a month or maybe a little more. Played 5-6 games to get ready for the playoffs.

Trying to stay positive, guys :(

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus · 4m 4 minutes ago
I don't want to parse Qspeak and speculate too much, but he used "miss some time" with Sharp's shoulder in 2013, and he missed a month.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I'm not a doctor, but I have seen loads of sports injuries and if I had to make an educated guess I would say he has a broken clavicle. I will be shocked if that isn't what the injury is.

I'd say I'm 90% sure. The way he was holding his arm after the hit is very indicative of a broken clavicle and the way he went into the boards lends itself to that injury. It isn't his wrist or his arm. It's his shoulder. Zero doubt about that.

If he broke his clavicle it'll be 6-8 weeks before he can play NHL level hockey again. And I'd lean toward eight if they get the heavy Blues in round one.

Not that we will ever know what the injury is....Upper Body. Oh thanks Joel. Appreciate the detail.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The Committed Indian ‏@RealFansProgram 2m2 minutes ago
Correct me if wrong, Campbell broke a clavicle and ribs in march '10 and was back in 1st round.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
A non-displaced collarbone in an adult is an 8-12 week injury.

My kid had one this fall after a check as wasn't cleared to play for 10 weeks. He felt ready to play after 4, but x-rays said no way until the 10 week mark.

4 weeks ain't happening if it's a break.

Looked like a dislocation or a clavicle based on the way he was holding himself.

Hoping it's not though...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not a doctor, but I have seen loads of sports injuries and if I had to make an educated guess I would say he has a broken clavicle. I will be shocked if that isn't what the injury is.

I'd say I'm 90% sure. The way he was holding his arm after the hit is very indicative of a broken clavicle and the way he went into the boards lends itself to that injury. It isn't his wrist or his arm. It's his shoulder. Zero doubt about that.

If he broke his clavicle it'll be 6-8 weeks before the can play NHL level hockey again. And I'd lean toward eight if they get the heavy Blues in round one.

Not that we will ever know what the injury is....Upper Body. Oh thanks Joel. Appreciate the detail.

Just to note, Brian Campbell broke his clavicle in 2010 on March 16th, he was back for game 4 against the Preds on April 22nd. Just sayin he can get back before the 1st round.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus · 4m 4 minutes ago
I don't want to parse Qspeak and speculate too much, but he used "miss some time" with Sharp's shoulder in 2013, and he missed a month.

The Committed Indian ‏@RealFansProgram 2m2 minutes ago
Correct me if wrong, Campbell broke a clavicle and ribs in march '10 and was back in 1st round.

These are certainly positive examples to hope for for Kane if he suffered a similar injury, but every body heals differently and even the same injuries can have different levels of severity.

Kane might heal quick and be back with time to spare, he might be back as the playoffs start, he might be back midway through the playoffs and our core has to do their work to get that far, or he's shutdown until next year and our core has to try to find a way to do damage without one of their main weapons.

Nothing anyone says is anything more than speculation at this point, so I would at the very least caution against freaking out, though I know it's understandable to do so knowing how huge of a loss Kane would be when it really matters.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Blackhawks just posted Q's interview on the team site, you can tell he is noticeably shaken up answering questions about Kaner. No question now for me that he is going to miss some significant time. All the tea leaves read that they are really HOPING he makes it back come playoff time.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
A non-displaced collarbone in an adult is an 8-12 week injury.

My kid had one this fall after a check as wasn't cleared to play for 10 weeks. He felt ready to play after 4, but x-rays said no way until the 10 week mark.

4 weeks ain't happening if it's a break.

Looked like a dislocation or a clavicle based on the way he was holding himself.

Hoping it's not though...

Not to be rude, but I'm guessing your son didn't have the physical therapy and the physician care that Patrick Kane will get over whatever period of time he misses. PT becomes these guys lives when they are injured. I'd guess your son was still going to school eight hours a day and doing homework. Patrick Kane's everything just became getting better from this injury.

I am feeling as negative as anyone on this board about this injury, but he won't miss 10-12 weeks.

Quite the season for Hawks' injuries....TVR (knee), Sharp (knee), Crawford (foot), Versteeg (hand), Oduya (whatever the heck "upper body" means) and now Kane (shoulder). I guess you could say the Hawks have been lucky over the last few years, but there is no denying this team has be gutted by injury to key players more than any other team in the league in 2014-15.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Not to be rude, but I'm guessing your son didn't have the physical therapy and the physician care that Patrick Kane will get over whatever period of time he misses. PT becomes these guys lives when they are injured. I'd guess your son was still going to school eight hours a day and doing homework. Patrick Kane's everything just became getting better from this injury.

I am feeling as negative as anyone on this board about this injury, but he won't miss 10-12 weeks.

Quite the season for Hawks' injuries....TVR (knee), Sharp (knee), Crawford (foot), Versteeg (hand), Oduya (whatever the heck "upper body" means) and now Kane (shoulder). I guess you could say the Hawks have been lucky over the last few years, but there is no denying this team has be gutted by injury to key players more than any other team in the league in 2014-15.

I don't think thats true.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I don't think thats true.

Please find me another team that has lost their #1 goaltender, their #1 forward, two other top-six forwards, a top four d-man and an emerging rookie d-man...all for significant amounts of time.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison

I don't take it as rude. Just ill-informed. Google it.

My kid was seen and cared for by UW (University of Wisconsin) Sports Medicine in the same facility and with the same docs/therapists that Badger athletes go to.

Unfortunately, there is no physical therapy for a broken bone. Only time and rest. You don't even start therapy and strengthening exercises till the sling comes off.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Please find me another team that has lost their #1 goaltender, their #1 forward, two other top-six forwards, a top four d-man and an emerging rookie d-man...all for significant amounts of time.

I don't think Fleury has missed time other than maybe during the mumps scare but the Pens lost Crosby and Malkin to injuries/illness a couple times, had Letang miss a lot of time, lost Dupuis to blood clots, lost Maatta to cancer and then mumps and then shoulder stuff... oh and they had a team mumps scare.

So that's at the very least... #1 forward check, two other top-six forwards check, top four d-man check, and emerging rookie d-man equivalent check

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad