Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I mean if anything he'll trade Draisaitl to make space, something something soemthing,

Imagine the cap space he could open up if he dealt McDavid too.:sarcasm:

Lots in this thread that must long for the days of last place with Tambellini and Mactavish. You'd think a guy who improved this team by almost 40 points and got them into the playoffs in the process would have earned some benefit of the doubt that he may know what he's doing.:shakehead

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Im only havibg a bit of fun, but...

he did gave Kris Russel 4 x 4, Lucic 6 x 7, Draisaitl 8.5 x 8.
his negotiating skills are lacking a bit....and it showed in Boston when he left.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Don't have a lot of faith Chia can come out with a win on this based on this summer. Hopefully I'm surprised.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's just no way Maroon gets a big cap hit.

Everyone likes to say that Chiarelli overpaid for players, but there are plenty of reasons why those players got deals as high as they did, and I don't mean because Chiarelli is a bad negotiator.

Sekera, Russell, Lucic, Draisaitl, and McDavid all had leverage that Maroon simply does not have.

Sekera/Lucic- UFA mercenaries. People are outraged by the costs of these guys, but if you are bidding up players after July 1st, the costs are always high. We NEEDED to fill out our lineup with these guys to have any chance at playoffs. They filled the gaps in the rebuild.

Russell- He's very underrated, and 4 million is not a lot considering that he plays over 21 minutes a night, 22 in the playoffs. It's not a bad deal if he stays 2nd pairing. What makes it a bad deal is the NTC, because he might not be 2nd pairing for the whole deal. But, with the Sekera injury we didn't have much choice.

Drai/McDavid- core pieces, in arguably the most sought after position in hockey (1C). We had their RFA rights but that doesn't matter a ton when the entire league would gladly overpay to have either player. I know offer sheets aren't used much, but the reason is because GMs always bite the bullet and fork over a little extra to prevent it ever getting to that point.

Maroon- throws his leverage away by giving McDavid credit. It doesn't even matter though, since every GM will assume that he's at least partly inflated by McDavid. He plays the least valuable position in hockey. Jokinen got 1.1 million as a winger. If Chiarelli were a bad negotiator, he'd get double that. The reason is leverage. Wingers are the least valuable players in hockey, and are easy to replace by trade and signing. We have a lot of great wingers on the team already, and we are a team that is obviously being built down the middle.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Everyone talks about the Russell contract as one that could screw us. But if we give Maroon anything in the 3.75-4.5 range I think that's a huge mistake. We actually needed Russell no matter how much people think otherwise. We have Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Caggiula who is a natural LW, and Khaira coming up and ready to take on big roles. He's expendable.

Hopefully he understands he's probably already going to cash in no matter what and wants to stay in a good situation. I'm expecting he will go to UFA and get paid to be honest but if we're already in negotiations who knows.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Im only havibg a bit of fun, but...

he did gave Kris Russel 4 x 4, Lucic 6 x 7, Draisaitl 8.5 x 8.
his negotiating skills are lacking a bit....and it showed in Boston when he left.

True but Lucic was the UFA cost, can't complain about that deal because we desperately needed that element on our team.

Let's say Russel and Drai are a combined 2.5 million overpaid, we just need one steal on a contract like Klef or Talbot to make up for that.

Having these good young wingers on ELC's will be what gives us a shot at the cup. His scouting has been fantastic.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Everyone talks about the Russell contract as one that could screw us. But if we give Maroon anything in the 3.75-4.5 range I think that's a huge mistake. We actually needed Russell no matter how much people think otherwise. We have Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Caggiula who is a natural LW, and Khaira coming up and ready to take on big roles. He's expendable.

Hopefully he understands he's probably already going to cash in no matter what and wants to stay in a good situation. I'm expecting he will go to UFA and get paid to be honest but if we're already in negotiations who knows.

Agreed the Oilers are pretty solid at LW so it should be on Maroon if he wants to take a little less to win a cup. Anything over $3.25M would be a disappointment. Maroon could probably get $4m over three years.

Is $750,000 gross over three years worth it for a cup. Factor in taxes, agent fees, escrow and it isn't that big a number for a ring. Maroon's choice really.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There's just no way Maroon gets a big cap hit.

Everyone likes to say that Chiarelli overpaid for players, but there are plenty of reasons why those players got deals as high as they did, and I don't mean because Chiarelli is a bad negotiator.

Sekera, Russell, Lucic, Draisaitl, and McDavid all had leverage that Maroon simply does not have.

Sekera/Lucic- UFA mercenaries. People are outraged by the costs of these guys, but if you are bidding up players after July 1st, the costs are always high. We NEEDED to fill out our lineup with these guys to have any chance at playoffs. They filled the gaps in the rebuild.

Russell- He's very underrated, and 4 million is not a lot considering that he plays over 21 minutes a night, 22 in the playoffs. It's not a bad deal if he stays 2nd pairing. What makes it a bad deal is the NTC, because he might not be 2nd pairing for the whole deal. But, with the Sekera injury we didn't have much choice.

Drai/McDavid- core pieces, in arguably the most sought after position in hockey (1C). We had their RFA rights but that doesn't matter a ton when the entire league would gladly overpay to have either player. I know offer sheets aren't used much, but the reason is because GMs always bite the bullet and fork over a little extra to prevent it ever getting to that point.

Maroon- throws his leverage away by giving McDavid credit. It doesn't even matter though, since every GM will assume that he's at least partly inflated by McDavid. He plays the least valuable position in hockey. Jokinen got 1.1 million as a winger. If Chiarelli were a bad negotiator, he'd get double that. The reason is leverage. Wingers are the least valuable players in hockey, and are easy to replace by trade and signing. We have a lot of great wingers on the team already, and we are a team that is obviously being built down the middle.

Very good post. Hopefully Chiarelli sees it. However there are three things that Give Maroon leverage.

He has chemistry with McDavid. Something not a given.

Goal scoring is at a premium and 27 is very good. Hall career high is 28?

He can and does drop the gloves for McDavid anytime/everytime while having the above. Point in case big Buff last night.

We are tricking ourselves to imagine some GM wont give this guy 4 mill x 4 years despite everyone knowing he is a product of McDavid to a very large extent.

Someone will bite, possibly even Chiarelli, and I cant blame them. I still remember him manhandling two guys at the same time. Fighting, hitting, and scoring at an exceptional rate. If there was no McDavid effect and he did what he did I would think he could get 5 x 5 from a very bad GM, think Mac T would easily.

Having said all that I hope he appreciates all the good things he has on the Oilers and signs for 3 or less even. Without Chiarelli, McDavid, the Oilers he seriously had a chance of being washed out of the league. Ducks had moved on and the guy was not in the greatest of shape. Guys trending down that way are often on thin ice.

I always like to think what I would do. Personally, if I were him, id sign for 2.5 but ask for 5 years minimum. A chance to be the best player in the worlds winger for 5+ years on a team potentially able to win cups, while making millions a years... Sounds like a dream for any hockey player... Of his calibre anyways.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Kunitz signed his last contract with the Pens for $3.85M / 3 years coming off a 12/13 season with 48 GP 22 G 30 A 52 Pts. Sure he was a bit older than Maroon, but Maroon has other benefits as Aerchon laid out in a good way above.

I don't think that he should be getting Kunitz money though, Kunitz was much more proven in terms of chemistry with Crosby, signed at a time when he just came off a >PPG season and was way better on his own in Anaheim prior to his time in Pittsburgh.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Imagine the cap space he could open up if he dealt McDavid too.:sarcasm:

Lots in this thread that must long for the days of last place with Tambellini and Mactavish. You'd think a guy who improved this team by almost 40 points and got them into the playoffs in the process would have earned some benefit of the doubt that he may know what he's doing.:shakehead

I give him the benefit of the doubt for building a team and knowing what he's doing in that regard.
jury is still out on whether he can successfully manage the cap and still ice a cup contending team.

for maroon. If he remains an Oiler and is paid more than 3 per year, I'd consider it a complete fail by management.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
From Friedman's "31 Thoughts on sportsnet.ca

"8. In a similar vein, Edmonton and Patrick Maroon sure made it sound last week that there is mutual interest in getting something done. The term and cash won’t be as high as T.J. Oshie, but the philosophy could very well be. An extra year or two in exchange for a lower average annual value. Makes a lot of sense."

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
From Friedman's "31 Thoughts on sportsnet.ca

"8. In a similar vein, Edmonton and Patrick Maroon sure made it sound last week that there is mutual interest in getting something done. The term and cash won’t be as high as T.J. Oshie, but the philosophy could very well be. An extra year or two in exchange for a lower average annual value. Makes a lot of sense."
So 6 years at $3M per would be just fine.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So 6 years at $3M per would be just fine.

6 years would be crazy. 3x3.5 or 4x3. Can't go crazy on term with a player like this.

Why would Friedman bring up Oshie at all? No shit that the Maroon contract won't be as rich, like not even in the same stratosphere. Eaves is the comparable here. It does make me wonder if they are looking to go longer term if Friedman's words are to be taken seriously.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
6 years would be crazy. 3x3.5 or 4x3. Can't go crazy on term with a player like this.

Why would Friedman bring up Oshie at all? No shit that the Maroon contract won't be as rich, like not even in the same stratosphere. Eaves is the comparable here.
6 is a little long, but at a low enough dollar is easily manageable.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If Maroon has another season like last year, he's probably going to get his salary doubled or very close to it.

He may leave some money on the table if the Oilers look like they're going to be solid cup contenders and he wants to be a part of that. I could see 5 years and 19 million total, which equates to a 3.8 million cap hit. Probably include a full NMC for the first 3 years and partial NMC/NTC the last 2 years.

Fair?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd rather go up to 3.5 or so and cut the term in half than have a modest cap savings and much more term. If they go 6 years, the AAV has to be below 3.
Yeah I would too, but I don't assume that. I assume a shorter term. 3 years (or less) is going to cost you $4M+, that's where we differ. Honestly, the perfect contract is 5yr $3M(or less) per, then he comes at 34 or 35 and he wants someone to pay him (if he's continually having success) then he's still can.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Anything more than 3 years and he can pound sand.

Can't be giving support players like him more than 3 years.

I also think you can't give him more than $3.75 million per.

And the only way to get a contrct like this is for Chia to have a backbone and tell him that we will walk from him otherwise. I would be surprised if contending team would give a guy like him a long term contract so if he wants to go collect pay cheques on a bottom barrel team all the power to him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We need to see how Strome and RNH play before we extend Maroon. We really have room for one of the 3 long term. There is no way we can keep all 3 or even 2 of them.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
We need to see how Strome and RNH play before we extend Maroon. We really have room for one of the 3 long term. There is no way we can keep all 3 or even 2 of them.

Theres's no way Strome can bring what Maroon does to this team. Even if he scores 10-15 more points, it won't make up for the physical play and presence of Maroon. Not saying we should back up the money truck for Maroon, but I think it's a pretty fair assumption Maroon is more important going forward so if we can sign him to a better deal now, we should.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
3.5 over three years would be my guess.

For me 3.5 is the max but I suspect that the true market value for Maroon is closer to $4M.
So I would expect Maroon to go for 4 years minimum if he is going to leave money on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad