Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We cannot afford to keep all of Maroon\RNH\Strome past this year. We might be losing 2 of the 3. A significant loss but not really crippling as none of them are core players.

The cap fears for next year are more a mirage than anything else.

It can be done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would be very shocked if they found a way to keep Maroon.

I dont see him signing for 1-2m a season so he's probably gone. Leon and Connor took all dat money

Yeah...you clearly didnt think this through.
He doesnt need to sign for $1-$2M a season. That would mean no increase at all from what he is making now. He is being paid $2M this season with the Oilers on the hook for $1.5M.
If the Oilers can come in at around $3 -$3.5M (say 4 years) then they can manage that IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Patrick Eaves scored 32 goals and just signed for $3.1 x 3 years ... I have to think that is the comparable for Maroon.

If he is willing to sign for say $3.2 x 3-4 years ... we have a deal.

Limited NMC, first 2 years can only be traded to St. Louis or one other team after that submits a list of 10 teams he will accept a trade to, 15 teams in the final year.

I think he is going to want to be able to stay in one place for at least 2 years so he can move his kid/wife to live with him for a couple of years and not be moving around all over the place.

$3 mill to ensure Connor has at least one winger he has good/great chemistry with isn't that bad of a spend. You could cycle in a revolving door of cheap RW on that line and still have good production.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We cannot afford to keep all of Maroon\RNH\Strome past this year. We might be losing 2 of the 3. A significant loss but not really crippling as none of them are core players.

We have 10M to spend between RNH, Strome, Maroon and Letestu. We will be losing one of the first 3 for sure.

Lose two of those guys and you may go into next season with $7-10M to replace them. Suppose it was on the top end and you lost Nuge and Maroon. What would you do with your $10M in cap space?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The cap fears for next year are more a mirage than anything else.

It can be done.

I don't think it is a mirage but it is not a sure thing either. Most people are doing their calculations assuming a flat cap or a very small increase. This is where I think the mistake lies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Patrick Eaves scored 32 goals and just signed for $3.1 x 3 years ... I have to think that is the comparable for Maroon.

If he is willing to sign for say $3.2 x 3-4 years ... we have a deal.

Limited NMC, first 2 years can only be traded to St. Louis or one other team after that submits a list of 10 teams he will accept a trade to, 15 teams in the final year.

I think he is going to want to be able to stay in one place for at least 2 years so he can move his kid/wife to live with him for a couple of years and not be moving around all over the place.

$3 mill to ensure Connor has at least one winger he has good/great chemistry with isn't that bad of a spend. You could cycle in a revolving door of cheap RW on that line and still have good production.

I could see a 3x3 deal based on what Eaves got. I would think Maroon would want more. I dont see how Chiarelli can sign him for anything more at this point in time though. If Maroon is willing to sign for 3mil than sign him, if not, wait till the end of the year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see a 3x3 deal based on what Eaves got. I would think Maroon would want more. I dont see how Chiarelli can sign him for anything more at this point in time though. If Maroon is willing to sign for 3mil than sign him, if not, wait till the end of the year.

3.25 works. I've already crunched the numbers.

3.25x3 is not bad for him actually ... he'd be 31 when the deal ends, still enough time to score another 3 year deal after that, and getting to play with McDavid or Draisaitl makes that likely. Sets him up for life and lets him move his family to one city and not have to do the long distance thing at least for a couple of years.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Since he's been with the Oilers, he's been taking his fitness and conditioning very seriously. I think the Anaheim trade really opened his eyes and made him realize the work he has to put in if he wants to stay in this league. Having that personal success the last 2 years has motivated him even more to work hard in the offseason and stay in good shape. I hope we can somehow afford to keep him around... he may not exactly be a core player here.. but the intangibles he brings to this team cannot be understated.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
3.2 works. I've already crunched the numbers.

3.2x3 is not bad for him actually ... he'd be 31 when the deal ends, still enough time to score another 3 year deal after that, and getting to play with McDavid or Draisaitl makes that likely. Sets him up for life and lets him move his family to one city and not have to do the long distance thing at least for a couple of years.

Yeah I think 3years x 3.0-3.5 probably works based on your numbers. I dont think Cagguila will get 2mil but hard to say at this point, Stromes a bit of a wildcard as are Nurse/Benning. I wouldnt be surprised if Nurse/Benning are in the 2.5 range.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm good with signing Maroon for Russell money but over 3 years or trading RNH/Paigin to MTL for LW Lekhonen and their #1 pick next year and letting him fly as a UFA next summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see the Dollar at 85 cents next summer and cap close to 80 million

I dunno about 80 mill, but 77-78 is quite likely. It would've been 77 this year already is the PA had used the escalator.

And yes, I think the CAD dollar will rise, not only that but Toronto probably makes the playoffs again, which boosts league revenue, alongside several other Canadian teams.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I dunno about 80 mill, but 77-78 is quite likely. It would've been 77 this year already is the PA had used the escalator.

And yes, I think the CAD dollar will rise, not only that but Toronto probably makes the playoffs again, which boosts league revenue, alongside several other Canadian teams.
Trump wants to increase trade exports and the only way they can do that is by devaluing the USD ,so I don't see the CAD dropping anytime soon plus BOC seems to be rising interest rates as well

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Seattle getting an expansion team and Quebec getting a relocation team in the next 1-2 years will help boost the salary cap as well

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Yeah...you clearly didnt think this through.
He doesnt need to sign for $1-$2M a season. That would mean no increase at all from what he is making now. He is being paid $2M this season with the Oilers on the hook for $1.5M.
If the Oilers can come in at around $3 -$3.5M (say 4 years) then they can manage that IMO.

I meant as a raise from his current salary

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
And there are no guarantees that Maroon will be more productive than Caggiula\Slepy this year. Chia needs to wait and see unless he is getting a good bargain on Maroon.

Difference is that Maroon has proven he can score in the NHL and the others haven't. I can't blame Chia for not waiting and neither would I.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
3.25 works. I've already crunched the numbers.

3.25x3 is not bad for him actually ... he'd be 31 when the deal ends, still enough time to score another 3 year deal after that, and getting to play with McDavid or Draisaitl makes that likely. Sets him up for life and lets him move his family to one city and not have to do the long distance thing at least for a couple of years.

isn't he turning 30 this season, so he'd be 33 when a 3 year extension ends?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I know he is younger than Eaves... But I feel anything more than the 3.15 million AAV that Eaves got is an overpay.

I wouldn't give him $4 million.

For the love of God Chia, win a negotiation for once. Make us say "Oooooo Thats a nice contract!"

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I know he is younger than Eaves... But I feel anything more than the 3.15 million AAV that Eaves got is an overpay.

I wouldn't give him $4 million.

For the love of God Chia, win a negotiation for once. Make us say "Oooooo Thats a nice contract!"

*cough*KlefbomTalbotKassian*cough*

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
*cough*KlefbomTalbotKassian*cough*

The real test is to see what Chiarelli does when the player has leverage.
The players you mentioned didnt.

Talbot will on his next contract though...thats when we will see what Chiarelli is made of. So far Chiarelli has been underwhelming to say that least.
*cough*Russell...Lucic*cough*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad