Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think some pple are really undervaluing Maroon here
The Oilers should only be paying him 3LW money. No more than 3M. If he continues to disappoint on the top line, he's still good enough for 3rd line duties.

If he's looking for more, there's always St. Louis but even they are cap strapped.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He's been crap this year. I expected some regression in his numbers but his play and stupid penalties are costing the Oilers.

Lots of players have been crap this year. He won't be this crappy all year long.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Pray for the McDavid discount? Kind of a tricky situation for Maroon. He probably won't get paid as much as he's worth if he stays, but will likely produce much better here than anywhere else. So does he test the free agent market now and go for the immediate payday? Or does he play here for three or four more years, build a bigger resume, and then leave to get paid ?

He's 29 already. This is his last chance at a big payday. Bigger, slower forwards of his ilk do not age well. Even the team who signs him to the next contract for more than a couple of years will probably come to regret it. I'd say look at how he perfroms for the rest of the season and look at signing him in the summer at the lowest possible number and term not exceeding 3 years. That's, of course, assuming the Oilers are a playoff team and do not trade a bunch of less important pieces for picks.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's 29 already. This is his last chance at a big payday. Bigger, slower forwards of his ilk do not age well. Even the team who signs him to the next contract for more than a couple of years will probably come to regret it. I'd say look at how he perfroms for the rest of the season and look at signing him in the summer at the lowest possible number and term not exceeding 3 years. There are only so many big long-term contracts that one can hand out in the cap world (the Oilers' core is McDavid, Draisaitl, Larsson, Klefbom, and Talbot--the rest are pretty much dispensible). That's, of course, assuming the Oilers are a playoff team and do not trade a bunch of less important pieces for picks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
deserves Kassian money..nothing more..
Will get a lot more so I hope we simply walk away.

He's a much more proven and consistent point producer than Kassian.

It's bizarre how under valued Maroon is by so many Oiler fans. You don't get 40 point players for 2 million dollars on the open market. It just doesn't happen.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Probably not but not many get to play with McDavid either.

And that's not getting into the stupid penalties.

He plays with McDavid because he's proven in the past to be the best LW option on 97's line. If there was a better option... the Oilers would be having somebody else there while Maroon is struggling. But sadly there isn't.

I agree with his stupid penalties costing the team though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He plays with McDavid because he's proven in the past to be the best LW option on 97's line. If there was a better option... the Oilers would be having somebody else there while Maroon is struggling. But sadly there isn't.

I agree with his stupid penalties costing the team though.
I really think that's more an indictment on the team's lack of winger depth than anything else. He's been good with McDavid yes, but if he starts to falter (and he has), he should be properly demoted for it.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
He's 29 already. This is his last chance at a big payday. Bigger, slower forwards of his ilk do not age well. Even the team who signs him to the next contract for more than a couple of years will probably come to regret it. I'd say look at how he perfroms for the rest of the season and look at signing him in the summer at the lowest possible number and term not exceeding 3 years. That's, of course, assuming the Oilers are a playoff team and do not trade a bunch of less important pieces for picks.

I think I agree with you overall. My thought about him getting a payday down the road was simply related to how many big ridiculous contracts are being given out around the league. Something like the Belesky deal. I'm not saying he will be worth the next contract he gets after this one, just that players do get paid for producing goals even over short spans or later in their careers.

As far as what we should do with the upcoming contract, I agree totally. Everybody is off to a slow start, so that hasn't helped him. McDavid is a great player, and we've already seen that Maroon is not the only guy who can play with him. I'd rather not commit term and money to something we could find elsewhere

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He's not doing himself any favors with his play. I'm at the point that I'm not sure that I'd pay him a dime over $3 million for more than 3 years. I'd sign him to a deal that has the expectation that he'll end up on our 3rd line shortly.
I said in training camp that he was a player you had to be very careful with. He played so badly in Anaheim that not only did they want to trade him but they were willing to pay most of his salary for three years. In spite of how he’s played here, that’s a huge red flag for me when it comes to an extension. No way would I give him more than three years. I’d be aiming for a similar contract to what Kassian got. I’m not as smitten by those 27 goals as others are. He was playing with McDavid and there’s no way he gets remotely close to that if he wasn’t. No guarantee he’s going to stay there either so there’s no point going high on dollars or term with him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he's willing to do something like this

4/4/4/3.5/2 = 3.5 per cap hit

I'd do it.

If he asks for more, you probably have to let him walk, problem is we're going to have a big hole one first line LW next year. Good luck getting someone better off the UFA market for under 4 per. I don't think Lucic can keep up with McDavid nearly as well, Maroon is a good deal faster.

That spin-o-rama pass goal is amazing by Connor, but give Maroon some credit for keeping up with McDavid, Connor was going full speed there and a lot of our wingers would do something stupid there like not having their stick on the ice to take that pass.

He's been good the last 2 games. He seems to play well with Yamamoto too ... set him up for a glorious chance in both of the last two games (one hit the post).

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If he's willing to do something like this

4/4/4/3.5/2 = 3.5 per cap hit

I'd do it.

If he asks for more, you probably have to let him walk, problem is we're going to have a big hole one first line LW next year. Good luck getting someone better off the UFA market for under 4 per. I don't think Lucic can keep up with McDavid nearly as well, Maroon is a good deal faster.

That spin-o-rama pass goal is amazing by Connor, but give Maroon some credit for keeping up with McDavid, Connor was going full speed there and a lot of our wingers would do something stupid there like not having their stick on the ice to take that pass.

He's been good the last 2 games. He seems to play well with Yamamoto too ... set him up for a glorious chance in both of the last two games (one hit the post).
Technically that salary is illegal but I agree with the idea if they do resign him.

is legal. Assuming he finds most of his game you could even add an extra year to bring the cap hit down even more.

4, 4, 3.5, 2.8, 2,2

Give him a NTC for the first 3 years . Once that is up you have a contract that if needed could be moved with a bit of retention or bought out with not much penalty.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What drives a person crazy, is that he has some talent and deft hands, and an ability to think the game at a high and quick level, and then he goes into some prolonged funks couple with some selfish, stupid penalties. It's what eventually got him moved from Anaheim, and landed him here, and what he has to continue to work on and guard against.

He strikes me as a player that will get complacent on you if you give him enough rope, so I hope they're careful with that contract and make it performance based as much as possible.

Reactions: Supermassive

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pennerpouliotpurcellperron...patmaroon

So many moderately effective P-Wings.
Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Super Maroon Bros 3...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reactions: Supermassive

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What drives a person crazy, is that he has some talent and deft hands, and an ability to think the game at a high and quick level, and then he goes into some prolonged funks couple with some selfish, stupid penalties. It's what eventually got him moved from Anaheim, and landed him here, and what he has to continue to work on and guard against.

He strikes me as a player that will get complacent on you if you give him enough rope, so I hope they're careful with that contract and make it performance based as much as possible.

There is no option top make it performance based if you are talking about bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->