Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

This is good news.. thought this deserved its own thread. I'm curious if the Oilers can afford Maroon if he has another great season. Patty loves it here and wants to stay... so hopefully something can be worked out. Realistically, what contract can the Oilers afford if they want to keep Maroon?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
That's kind of risky doing it after his career year. 3 million would be fine. More than 3.5 is not good.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Either Maroon gets extended and we find a cheaper replacement for RNH or RNH stays and we find another Maroon

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Not sure why the Oilers are interested in doing this now. Maroon is absurdly unlikely to significantly improve on his previous season.

Unless Patty is already receptive to numbers in the 3M range, which doesn't seem very likely to me.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
With Chia's track record in giving out contracts, get ready for the 8 million for 7 years contract extension. ;)

seriously though, hopefully 3mill x 4 years get it done, otherwise find a cheap winger elsewhere.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not sure why the Oilers are interested in doing this now. Maroon is absurdly unlikely to significantly improve on his previous season.

Unless Patty is already receptive to numbers in the 3M range, which doesn't seem very likely to me.

My thoughts exactly.
The timing of this would appear to benefit Maroon and not the team.
We shall see how the numbers play out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
*Tugs Collar*

Career high shooting %, IPP, on ic shooting % and more specifically being stapled to McDavid all year. I love Maroon, but hes a 3.5 million dollar player.

Dont understand why we dont wait till the years over. Give him this season to stay hungry and prove himself. If hes scores 25-30, then maybe 4.5 or 5 is in the cards. Dont understand this at all from Oilers POV whatsoever. Appears to be another overpay coming down the pipe

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Maybe he's working with Chiarelli to set him up on another team, let him tank for half a year then that team trades him back to us at 50% retention. Win Win IMO :laugh:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I actually think Chia is handling this situation better than he did with Drai. Imagine Chia extended Drai before the beginning of last season. We'd be looking at Drai making 6M and not 8.5

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
My thoughts exactly.
The timing of this would appear to benefit Maroon and not the team.
We shall see how the numbers play out.

it's a risk for both sides

Oilers leave the negotiations till the end of the season and Patty score 25 goals again...expect the number to be 4.5-5 million

Oilers sign him now at a 3.75-4 million rate and he scores 13 goals then the Oilers are in big trouble

its a risk either way IMO

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
As long as the cap hit is in that ~3.5M range, that's fine. It will mean nothing but picks and prospects for Nuge though...which won't be fine but that's the world we live in now.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
As long as the cap hit is in that ~3.5M range, that's fine. It will mean nothing but picks and prospects for Nuge though...which won't be fine but that's the world we live in now.

Well, if we find another 'project' like Strome or Maroon on the cheap (even 50% retention cheap) we could do RNH for that plus picks. Nothing wrong with having a few picks here and there. Seems we have our core to build around and anyone who's come on the Oilers has got better.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can't say this news is really that exciting. Love the guy, but he's a plug forward more or less. Anything beyond $3m and is a significant overpay. I'm worried we might get stuck with something here when all is said and done. Fingers crossed he comes out with a $2.5mAAV on any term.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would be shocked if Maroon gets 3m or less. Not with those numbers (plug or no plug)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I like Maroon... but im terrified of this extension.
Tough deal to make. Matt freakin Beleskey has a hit of 3.8

I'd absolutely hate to lose him for nothing though.

Sucks being in Cap hell when we havent even gotten good yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad