Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
there's a distinct chance there's no pleasing you then

Why?

Klefbom - Risky contract at the time, looks like it will be a steal now.

Talbot - Pretty average contract, played much better last season than most expected

Kassian - Average 3rd/4th liner contract

If you were really impressed with those signings at the time of signing you need to look around the league more.

For Maroon:

<$3.25 Million AAV - Happy
$3.25 - $3.75 AAV - Meh
>$3.75 million AAV - Unhappy

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not 4+. I think people are way off if they think Chia is going to sign Maroon for low 3s.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not 4+. I think people are way off if they think Chia is going to sign Maroon for low 3s.

Is he a much better player than Eaves though?

I just don't think we can afford to pay Maroon $4+ if thats what he wants. He may score goals while playing with McDavid but he really doesn't bring much else to the table.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I just don't think we can afford to pay Maroon $4+ if thats what he wants. He may score goals while playing with McDavid but he really doesn't bring much else to the table.

He's big and can punch players in the face.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Why?

Talbot - Pretty average contract, played much better last season than most expected

If you were really impressed with those signings at the time of signing you need to look around the league more.

For Maroon:

$3.25 - $3.75 AAV - Meh

People questioned the above contracts? thought they were all fair and knew Klefbom would be a steal. but yeah anything over like 3.5 for Maroon I say nah, I would say a little more but we pissed away too much money on Russell which will definitely hurt our re signings.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
People questioned the above contracts? thought they were all fair and knew Klefbom would be a steal. but yeah anything over like 3.5 for Maroon I say nah, I would say a little more but we pissed away too much money on Russell which will definitely hurt our re signings.

What would you have paid UFA Russell? He is a top four. Around four mil for a top four is about right.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
What would you have paid UFA Russell? He is a top four. Around four mil for a top four is about right.

Under no circumstances would I have signed Russell at all, he's not top 4 he's one of the worst statistical D in the league and awful by eye test and Sekera did a pretty incredible job hiding that somehow.

Luckily we can buy him in out in 3 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he wants 4 or more you just let him walk. Simple as that.

If I were him, I'd sign now.

Too many things can go wrong, yes you could get 4x3 or something in the summer next year, but you could also get hurt, you could get taken off McDavid's line ... then you could end up like a Thomas Vanek this summer grovelling for a 1 year deal some where.

I think the Oilers have good leverage to say that 3.25 or 3.3 per now is fair. It's sets up Maroon for the rest of his life, but gives him a shot to earn another similar or better 3 year deal down the line when its over. And there likely will be many suitors for his services if he puts up another 3 good years on McDavid's wing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Maroon is 4 years younger and has a better track record than Eaves in recent years.

I think anything under $4M on a short to mid term deal (2-3) would be a good contract. Considering our GM, I'm expecting a 4x4 at minimum. Would love to be wrong of course. But... I just don't have faith in Chiarelli's negotiating ability.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Under no circumstances would I have signed Russell at all, he's not top 4 he's one of the worst statistical D in the league and awful by eye test and Sekera did a pretty incredible job hiding that somehow.

Hmm. I guess our eyes work differently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For Talbot, I'd look at a longer deal that fades out as he gets older. He'll be 32 when he signs so something like

7/7/6/6/3.5

= 5.9 mill cap hit

Managable.

Dump Russell that same summer (attach a pick if need be), and you should be good.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

In this post: Russell isn't a good dman. He's bad statistically and by (your own) eye test. But then you go on to say that Sekera somehow managed to hide that statistical and eye test data? Sekera who had a great year himself, somehow managed to cover up the fact that he's playing with the worst dman in the league, and made him look good?

Can you see how biased this sentiment is?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not sure why the Oilers are interested in doing this now. Maroon is absurdly unlikely to significantly improve on his previous season.

Unless Patty is already receptive to numbers in the 3M range, which doesn't seem very likely to me.

This is one you've really got to be careful with and not just because he's coming off a career year either. In addition to being concerned about the dollars, I'm even more concerned with the term. To me he shouldn't get more than three years max. I'd prefer two but since Kassian got three then that's probably most likely. I loved the season last he had last year but I wouldn't bank on him repeating it. My concern here is that when he was comfortable playing for a good Ducks team his play dropped to the point they traded him and paid his salary. I'd be worried he'd do the same thing here after getting a new deal. He also hasn't shown much away from McDavid. Not saying they shouldn't sign him at all as I think he easily earned a new deal here. I just hope this is one guy they don't give too much to.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
This is such a tough contract. You don't want to disrespect the player but at the same time he is playing with McD. He doesn't really have any sample size without him. Glad I'm not a GM!

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The Oilers just can't afford to get anything less than a great deal with Maroon. All the over payments have been spent, it's nothing but value from here on out. If you can't get Maroon for $3M, then you use him for a shot at the cup this year and then wave good bye this summer.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Maroon is about 90% production dependent on McDavid. He's been a good fit with Edmonton, but let's not go shelling out Brouwer bucks here. Brouwer got 4.5Mx4 years from the Flames and that's a terrible contract. Pouliot was another blunder.

I'm sure Maroon's camp are looking for 4M x4 plus.

Sorry, as a UFA the guy would get 2.5-3M. That's it. His next best goal scoring years after last season are 12, 11, 9 goals.

4yr x 3M is my offer and it's more than fair.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why?

For Maroon:

$3.25 - $3.75 AAV - Meh

Agree about Klefbom.

Talbot was risky as well but extremely low for a starting goalie. Good contract at the time based off his play in the second half. Amazing contract now. For goalie contracts he is top 3 if not #1 in the whole league.

Kassian is an extremely good third liner. Only reason he signed that low is due to Chiarelli giving him another chance period. Good to great contract at the time of signing.

Maroon realisticly should get 3 mill max because of the McDavid contract. However its so hard/impossible to imagine he gets anything less than 4 on the open market.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

So bad statistically that he had the best goals against on the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad