Player Discussion Parker Kelly

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kastelic has been dealing with a bad back all season. He is exactly what we need as our 4LC.
Yeah, that likely would explain why he looked promising early and hit a wall as the season went on. I remember him tweaking the back, back issues for big guys can be tough to get over, hopefully he'll have a complete recovery and have it linger all career long.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kelly and Kastelic out
Crookshank and Sokolov in
I'd like to get a look at those players but I don't think they are the answer on the 4th line . Sokolov definitley isn't, but he deserves a look in the top 9. I would not mind seeing him for a game or two with Stutlzle and Tkachuk.. Joseph can play a down the lineup role and force Watty out,
Crookshank could take Brass out for a couple of games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kelly has been pretty consistent, he does all the little things well. He has had Watson strapped to him all year and either Kastelic or Gambrell as his center. Pretty hard to produce in those scenarios. I like him as a 4th line player, he finishes all his checks plays with speed and gives it all he's got. I dont think he is the problem at all in that role. He agitates too.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Kastelic needs to remain. He's been injured and playing injured but when he's healthy he's clearly a fast and big forechecker. Great on the PK. Stands up for teammates..perfect 4th line.

I would move on from guys like gambrell and Watson. Have Kelly as the 13th forward and bring in guys to replace our bottom 6.

Imagine having a bottom 6 of formenton(maybe), motte, Pinto, Greig, Joseph, Sokolov, kastelic, and Kelly.

No way we can't make 2 decent energy lines with skill with those guys.

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
he is probably a full timer mainly because of our cap situation. I will say though that he was more noticeable in a good way last year then he has been this year
He plays a hustle game, hits, draws penalties and disrupts the other team at ES. He is also good on the PK. All for 4th line money.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd like to get a look at those players but I don't think they are the answer on the 4th line . Sokolov definitley isn't, but he deserves a look in the top 9. I would not mind seeing him for a game or two with Stutlzle and Tkachuk.. Joseph can play a down the lineup role and force Watty out,
Crookshank could take Brass out for a couple of games.
The guy I want in is Crookshank, he is a tenacious forechecker and had more scoring bite than Kelly. He was really good both training camps this year and last before getting hurt

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kelly is our forward version of Brannstrom. Clearly our best option at the bottom of our lineup with what we currently have but should be upgraded with more size for the role they are playing.
More size would be great (Sanford) however we have had players with more size and played smaller than Kelly.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kastelic needs to remain. He's been injured and playing injured but when he's healthy he's clearly a fast and big forechecker. Great on the PK. Stands up for teammates..perfect 4th line.

I would move on from guys like gambrell and Watson. Have Kelly as the 13th forward and bring in guys to replace our bottom 6.

Imagine having a bottom 6 of formenton(maybe), motte, Pinto, Greig, Joseph, Sokolov, kastelic, and Kelly.

No way we can't make 2 decent energy lines with skill with those guys.
I like Watson's physical play and his PK work blocking shots; however, I want a big physical 4th line policeman fighter type of player and Watson is not that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I like Watson's physical play and his PK work blocking shots; however, I want a big physical 4th line policeman fighter type of player and Watson is not that.

Kastelic is more that than Watson.

I think if we can have tkachuk, Greig, ostapchuk, boucher, kastelic in the lineup. Each line can have a nice sandpaper guy. Keep in mind no one really dresses big goons or even Chris Neil types anymore.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am not ripping on either Kastelic or Kelly just saying they don't own a spot if we can upgrade.

Kastelic is fastest skater doing an entire lap but quickness in small spaces is where it's at and a guy his size will never have that.

But I like his tools from FO to size to aggression and he does have some scoring ability.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The guy I want in is Crookshank, he is a tenacious forechecker and had more scoring bite than Kelly. He was really good both training camps this year and last before getting hurt
I'd like to see him too. I see Brass as the guy on the 3rd line for his opportunity more than the 4th line

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Below average 4th liner that could be replaced and improved on by a number of players who went through the waiver wire this year.

Sad indictment of this team's depth that he's played in almost every game this year, but then again I'd rather have him play than Gambrell - who is even more useless.

Reactions: Agent Zub

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He is way worse defensively. He started on the 4th line in Belleville. Long way to go before he isn't a defensive liability.
I am not ripping on either Kastelic or Kelly just saying they don't own a spot if we can upgrade.

Kastelic is fastest skater doing an entire lap but quickness in small spaces is where it's at and a guy his size will never have that.

But I like his tools from FO to size to aggression and he does have some scoring ability.
He isn't remotely close to being done developing. Think he is a very ideal 4th line center. If he starts dropping the gloves more he would make Watson redundant. Big guy raw tools. Pumped to have him.

Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is way worse defensively. He started on the 4th line in Belleville. Long way to go before he isn't a defensive liability.

He isn't remotely close to being done developing. Think he is a very ideal 4th line center. If he starts dropping the gloves more he would make Watson redundant. Big guy raw tools. Pumped to have him.
Yeah, I think Kastelic will be fine long term. I haven't loved his season so far, but he's been tied to some absolute boat anchors on his wings. Given some better line mates and a clear assignment, I think Kastelic will be a very solid fourth line energy guy and toughness presence.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We could do better than Kelly easy. In this league you have to weaponize even the 4th line. And Kelly does not really display the hockey sense , defense or offense that is suitable for an NHLer.

Good on the forecheck, good effort, good peskiness. But this is the f***ing NHL...

him missing that empty netter was funny but also sad.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We could do better than Kelly easy. In this league you have to weaponize even the 4th line. And Kelly does not really display the hockey sense , defense or offense that is suitable for an NHLer.

Good on the forecheck, good effort, good peskiness. But this is the f***ing NHL...

I'd take him over Gambrell though. That guy is useless. At least Kelly draws penalties and hits.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Agree which is why he is a forward version of Brannstrom.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are a few guys that they need to upgrade on ... Joseph, Motte, Brassard, Watson, Kelly, Brannstrom, Zaitsev, Holden & probably Talbot. On the bright side we have three rookies in the lineup right now who are all playing well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The arrogance in your posts is truly something to behold. You obviously don't like what Kelly brings you don't care or understand what finishing checks does in hockey but the implications of the bolded. Lol. 'Sad'. The irony. He's gonna make more money this year than you probably make in a decade. Playing in the best league in the world.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The arrogance in your posts is truly something to behold. You obviously don't like what Kelly brings you don't care or understand what finishing checks does in hockey but the implications of the bolded. Lol. 'Sad'. The irony. He's gonna make more money this year than you probably make in a decade. Playing in the best league in the world.

Lol I love how Kelly plays, I just don't think he has a high enough skill level. Especially if you want to be a great team.

Stop taking everything so personal. I literally don't care, I have no impact on any of the outcomes and just watch for fun.

I'm actually happy for Kelly, I respect the hustle. It is the only reason he is in the NHL. We can all learn from that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can he hit, hustle, disrupt other teams, cause penalties against and play the PK? If he can do all that and score more goals than Kelly I would like him in the lineup.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Where he go

(The longer he stays out of the lineup, the better)
Got scratched the last three games, and just as soon as he departed both Gambrell and Watson started playing better. He's the designated sitter right now until and unless someone gets hurt. He's on a one way contract next year, albeit at league minimum, which stings a bit as he may end up in Belleville...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Message sending time by the coach

Kelly is getting benched next game for his penalty at the end of the 2nd period. You could see it on his face when he went to the penalty box.

And the PK gave up 4 goals and that’s what Kelly does. Not sure who comes in but that penalty cost is the game. Soft penalty in the O zone by a 8 minute a night player - this is how you lose games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad