OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Have a bad feeling this is going to be a statement loss for BC and define them for the rest of the season. We'll be lucky if we get a crossover spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In no particularly order, the Leos need new ownership; a new coaching staff and a marketing plan to bring back a younger audience....Wally looking like he's going through the motion right now and would rather be anywhere else....O-line one of the worst in the CFL.

Something better happen fast....because this franchise and the CFL in general is sinking like a rock in the Metro Vancouver sports market.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In no particularly order, the Leos need new ownership; a new coaching staff and a marketing plan to bring back a younger audience....Wally looking like he's going through the motion right now and would rather be anywhere else....O-line one of the worst in the CFL.

Something better happen fast....because this franchise and the CFL in general is sinking like a rock in the Metro Vancouver sports market.

O-line has been bad for awhile. Dorazio, I guess, works for peanuts but even at that is getting over paid. Every year Calgary kicks our ass for the same reason.

Lee dropping that interception was an example of how bush league the CFL can be.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
O-line has been bad for awhile. Dorazio, I guess, works for peanuts but even at that is getting over paid. Every year Calgary kicks our ass for the same reason.

Lee dropping that interception was an example of how bush league the CFL can be.

Because interceptions are never dropped in the NFL? CFL has its bush moments. Dropping a pick isn't one of them.

The continued employment of someone as incompetent as Dan Dorazio is maddening. What's worse? I think we're only one loss away from Wally bringing back Jacques Chapdelaine in some capacity.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

What the **** is this? I've seen NFLers drop sure fire interceptions. Are you acting like this doesn't happen in the NFL?

I hate when people say stupid comments like this, and then turn a blind eye when it happens in the NFL. :shakehead

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Didn't get to watch a minute of the game yesterday. But the highlights and the score tell me it's more of the same vs. Calgary recently.

What's happening with Jennings? Just not getting the time to make reads or making bad throws?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
No idea why the 8pm start either.

First half was pretty meh. One huge drop by Williams down the field, we should be up by 7 at least.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Okay, I'm out. This game is anti-entertainment. During the announcers' extended drivel about challenges, my brain tried to escape out my left ear.

*edit* After ceding control of the tv to my wife, she put on Transparent. They're all on a cruise, and the horrible passive-aggressive mother is now doing her own version of Alanis Morissette's Hand in Pocket in a one-woman show.

D'oh.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually glad the Riders will make the playoffs instead of the Lions....they actually care about CFL football in Saskatchewan....based on the attendance and the lack of energy in the stands, nobody much cares any more in VanCity.

Leos O-line is clearly the worst in the entire CFL...Wally must look at the film every week, and see the same things...but for some reason they can't recruit or develop offensive lineman.....will be a crucial off-season for this sorry franchise.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Welp...looks like I made the right decision in hindsight.

And yes, this is a crucial offseason. Wally's retiring, hopefully Braley will finally find someone with actual vision to sell the team to, and then the team can come back to Vancouver's sports fan consciousness.

Seriously, get an O line. It can't be that hard.

Lost to Hamilton. ****'s sake.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
On the one hand I'm pissed that I totally forgot there was a game tonight and didn't watch it.

On the other hand I'm completely glad that I did miss it because I would've raged at the end, losing to ****ing Hamilton.

I also feel bad because a fellow Sharks board poster came up to Vancouver for a few days and one of the things I recommended to him was to check out this game. And he seemed enthused to do so. Now I have to live with the fact that I sent him to a game where the home team lost to an opponent that I categorized as "acting like the CFL's version of the Cleveland Browns this year".

Welp, you lose some, you..... lose some.

:laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Actually glad the Riders will make the playoffs instead of the Lions....they actually care about CFL football in Saskatchewan....based on the attendance and the lack of energy in the stands, nobody much cares any more in VanCity.

Leos O-line is clearly the worst in the entire CFL...Wally must look at the film every week, and see the same things...but for some reason they can't recruit or develop offensive lineman.....will be a crucial off-season for this sorry franchise.

We had Olafioye...Wally dumped him to clear cap space. Stupid move. One of his rare stupid moves.

Our O-Line has typically been bad under Wally. He employs his buddy, Dan Dorazio, despite how inept he has been as an O-Line coach. The year we had Dan Malone in here under Jeff Tedford we gave up the fewest sacks in the league. Tedford gone a year later, Wally brings Dorazio back (who had been fired in Saskatchewan for that one year away), and our O-Line is **** again. Coincidence?

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
This might not be a popular opinion, but I'm throwing it out there for discussion. Like a lot of other markets in the CFL, Vancouver goes through constant ups and downs. Popularity wise they've been through the roof at times, and then in the gutter for a spell after. It seems cyclical, but then again I am seeing signs and trends that makes me think it might be more than that this time.

I think the city, and the character of downtown sports is changing, and fast. The sporting landscape in Canada's three largest cities is also trending. We've seen the MLS move in and be successful. And despite the Whitecaps, Toronto FC and Impact not showing years of winning history (in the MLS) yet, their popularity seems to keep rising. The CFL in all three markets is coincidentally declining very fast. I'm not convinced that winning teams will necessarily change that either.

Location means a lot here. I love the CFL and it's heritage to Canadian sport, but I feel it has its niche within the sports landscape too, especially in certain cities. The CFL doesn't match the character of the affluent, dense urban centres of downtown Vancouver or Toronto. If anything, the successful model for sports of this kind of level is more akin to what the Canadians are doing at Nat Bailey Stadium. By that I mean appealing to families, as a casual fan friendly event that is affordable and even casual. Yes the CFL is a lot bigger than Single A baseball, but it's probably closer to that than it is to the NFL or NHL. People might be averse to the use of the term, but I see a greater home for the Lions in suburbia. If it's done right. That's where the families are, and the youth that the league needs to target.

Perhaps its something Lions ownership needs to consider for the future.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
How the hell does a team amass nearly 500 yards and lose the game? Didn't get to watch it, but looking at the distance of 3 of Long's field goals, I assume we stalled in the redzone?

And for those asking about the 8pm start, you can thank the CFL's daddy, TSN, for that. Friday Night Football double headers have been moved to 5pm and 8pm PST start times.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This might not be a popular opinion, but I'm throwing it out there for discussion. Like a lot of other markets in the CFL, Vancouver goes through constant ups and downs. Popularity wise they've been through the roof at times, and then in the gutter for a spell after. It seems cyclical, but then again I am seeing signs and trends that makes me think it might be more than that this time.

I think the city, and the character of downtown sports is changing, and fast. The sporting landscape in Canada's three largest cities is also trending. We've seen the MLS move in and be successful. And despite the Whitecaps, Toronto FC and Impact not showing years of winning history (in the MLS) yet, their popularity seems to keep rising. The CFL in all three markets is coincidentally declining very fast. I'm not convinced that winning teams will necessarily change that either.

Location means a lot here. I love the CFL and it's heritage to Canadian sport, but I feel it has its niche within the sports landscape too, especially in certain cities. The CFL doesn't match the character of the affluent, dense urban centres of downtown Vancouver or Toronto. If anything, the successful model for sports of this kind of level is more akin to what the Canadians are doing at Nat Bailey Stadium. By that I mean appealing to families, as a casual fan friendly event that is affordable and even casual. Yes the CFL is a lot bigger than Single A baseball, but it's probably closer to that than it is to the NFL or NHL. People might be averse to the use of the term, but I see a greater home for the Lions in suburbia. If it's done right. That's where the families are, and the youth that the league needs to target.

Perhaps its something Lions ownership needs to consider for the future.

Absolutely disagree. The CFL did fine here for many years. We're currently on a down swing and that's been to poor ownership/poor marketing. Ownership has been very stale, not really investing a lot back into the team in recent years. Marketing has been horrible. Prices have risen and it wasn't until this year that they started doing the $5 kids tickets for most games.

I also find it funny to see the Whitecaps being called successful. Their attendance doesn't seem to be that great, and is quite comparable with the Lions. Whenever I turn on a Whitecaps game (just to check it out on TV because I don't really follow them) I often see a lot of empty seats, just like the Lions. It isn't as if they're consistently selling out or bringing in more attendance than the Lions. Let's put this myth to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad