OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They need to lower ticket prices. They have a great opportunity right now to do so and rebuild their fanbase with that amazing TV contract that covers their operating costs. Drop ticket prices, sell the place out, then gradually raise them over a few years once you're better established in the marketplace.

BC should be doing this as well. Sure our attendance isn't THAT bad, but it's not good either.

I like your idea of lower ticket prices. We used to go to games for under 10 dollars back at old Empire. That's a long time ago though. I remember the Roy Dewalt years in The New BC Place, and the atmosphere was amazing! Crazy George and 50,000 plus fans every game. I don't remember how much the tickets were though? I'm guessing under 20 bucks?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For me BC Place is a major problem, more so than ticket prices. The weather is gorgeous here during 80% of the CFL season. If they had a true outdoor stadium of 30,000 seats I would attend regularly. I cannot be bothered now even though it isn't a long commute for me. It's way too cavernous and that tiny hole in the roof renovation was a waste.

As for the team itself, Lulay is clearly better and Wally's stubbornness is hurting the team. Who knows if the result would have been different yesterday if Jennings was on the bench from the start, but there's a chance. Now it is a dog fight with the Riders for the last crossover spot. Problem is they are trending up and BC is in a tailspin.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
For me BC Place is a major problem, more so than ticket prices. The weather is gorgeous here during 80% of the CFL season. If they had a true outdoor stadium of 30,000 seats I would attend regularly. I cannot be bothered now even though it isn't a long commute for me. It's way too cavernous and that tiny hole in the roof renovation was a waste.

As for the team itself, Lulay is clearly better and Wally's stubbornness is hurting the team. Who knows if the result would have been different yesterday if Jennings was on the bench from the start, but there's a chance. Now it is a dog fight with the Riders for the last crossover spot. Problem is they are trending up and BC is in a tailspin.

Ideally we would have a shared, outdoor 30k stadium with the Whitecaps. Something similar to what they have in Regina and Winnipeg (absolutely beautiful stadiums). But this is what happens when you let the BC Provincial Government operate a sports venue...you get junk.

BC Place isn't that bad...it's a lot better than pre-2011, but I get why some people don't like it. I think it's just an excuse for not going to a game though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just not sure why Wally Bono wants to keep doing this....is it some kind of favor to Braley, the owner?....he's the only dual GM-Head Coach guy left in the league, but seems that every coach he hires like Benevides and Tedford flops.

If Braley doesn't sell this team Wally needs to kick himself upstairs permanently...and start finding some players who can play on the O-line and D-line.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just not sure why Wally Bono wants to keep doing this....is it some kind of favor to Braley, the owner?....he's the only dual GM-Head Coach guy left in the league, but seems that every coach he hires like Benevides and Tedford flops.

If Braley doesn't sell this team Wally needs to kick himself upstairs permanently...and start finding some players who can play on the O-line and D-line.

He's retiring completely at the end of this season.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Raw.

Seriously though. This guy is on the same level.

No need to go that far. But I am impressed the way Ambrosie stepped up and said "Hell Naw". Not sure if Cohon or the other guy, any previous Commish would do the same.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No need to go that far. But I am impressed the way Ambrosie stepped up and said "Hell Naw". Not sure if Cohon or the other guy, any previous Commish would do the same.

No need to go that far? Have you read up on what this guy did? He went out of his way to cover up sexual assaults done by members of his football program. As far as I'm concerned he's no different than those guilty of the act. He's an ******* and hope he never coaches another day in his life.

Whats just as bad is the fact that he's shown no remorse for his actions and truly believes he's done no wrong.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Why does Randy Ambrosie get such a pass from fans and media on this?

If what Scott Mitchell said is true - the league was advised of Hamilton's intentions w.r.t. to Art Briles several weeks before he was hired. Sure, after the fact, in damage control mode, Ambrosie was the first to make the right decision. But where was the league BEFORE the hire was announced?

I get it, everyone wants to love Ambrosie and frame him as the messiah of Canadian football, but does this make him unassailable? I'm not saying run him out of town, but how long does the honeymoon last?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

If what Scott Mitchell said is true - the league was advised of Hamilton's intentions w.r.t. to Art Briles several weeks before he was hired. Sure, after the fact, in damage control mode, Ambrosie was the first to make the right decision. But where was the league BEFORE the hire was announced?

I get it, everyone wants to love Ambrosie and frame him as the messiah of Canadian football, but does this make him unassailable? I'm not saying run him out of town, but how long does the honeymoon last?

Agreed. Scott Mitchell himself said they didn't expect the level of community backlash that they received. Like all those involved actually thought this was a good idea until the community uproar made them think twice. Everyone involved with this should be embarrassed including the Commish.

What makes me so disappointed is that I'm not so sure this pig wouldn't be apart of the CFL had there not been such backlash. In a league like the CFL where gate receipts are such an important revenue the backtracking done was purely for PR and financial reasons. First time in a long time I'm disgusted by the CFL.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
No need to go that far? Have you read up on what this guy did? He went out of his way to cover up sexual assaults done by members of his football program. As far as I'm concerned he's no different than those guilty of the act. He's an ******* and hope he never coaches another day in his life.

Whats just as bad is the fact that he's shown no remorse for his actions and truly believes he's done no wrong.

He is awful. No debate from me. But I'm sorry, the man who sexually assaulted and molested underaged boys is simply a lower form of scum, no ifs, ands of buts about it. In this moment I cannot think of a worse person than Jerry Sandusky.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

I was not aware of that. This is the first praise I have given Ambrosie, I am in no rush to prop him up as any kind of messiah. I gave him props based on how I understood the story.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I was not aware of that. This is the first praise I have given Ambrosie, I am in no rush to prop him up as any kind of messiah. I gave him props based on how I understood the story.

Sorry, it wasn't directed at you. I was actually responding to the usual blow hard on the 1040 who ranted about "the one thing you can't deny is that Randy Ambrosia is the only guy who got it right. This guy gets it. He got out in front of it and did the right thing, blah, blah, blah ..." This refrain was also picked up by the new Sportsnet 650 morning (sample) program/

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He is awful. No debate from me. But I'm sorry, the man who sexually assaulted and molested underaged boys is simply a lower form of scum, no ifs, ands of buts about it. In this moment I cannot think of a worse person than Jerry Sandusky.

Seems rather silly to debate which scum is at a lower level. Like I said, they are both on the same level for me and the world would be a better place without out either. One did the acts while the other tried to cover up acts done by others. Pick your poison.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah Biggie ain't coming back. Lead the Saints in tackles last week with 8. This week led with 11. Also had an interception at a key point in the game a couple games back. If he hasn't done enough to win a job with the Saints then they never had any intention of keeping him around.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah Biggie ain't coming back. Lead the Saints in tackles last week with 8. This week led with 11. Also had an interception at a key point in the game a couple games back. If he hasn't done enough to win a job with the Saints then they never had any intention of keeping him around.

http://www.tsn.ca/cflers-in-the-nfl-bighill-cut-by-saints-1.845857

They just cut him. Though it seems highly probable that he'll either get picked up elsewhere or be signed to the practice roster.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I agree with what y2k said. They never had any intention on keeping him around as he did enough to earn a spot. I suspect another team will take a look or he'll be on a practice squad for the year. We won't see him back in the CFL until next season at the earliest.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Seems rather silly to debate which scum is at a lower level. Like I said, they are both on the same level for me and the world would be a better place without out either. One did the acts while the other tried to cover up acts done by others. Pick your poison.

I could not disagree more, but to each his own I guess.

If I have to pick a poison, I take Briles 1000000 times out of 10.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A practice roster spot might be harder for him than you think. Eligibility rules were relaxed last year allowing more players with regular season experience to be on them. Coaches may be more inclined to sign someone who's younger and might have game time under their belts.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A practice roster spot might be harder for him than you think. Eligibility rules were relaxed last year allowing more players with regular season experience to be on them. Coaches may be more inclined to sign someone who's younger and might have game time under their belts.

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad