Prospect Info: Panthers 2018 Entry Draft Talk

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I could maybe see that being the case with Shayne Gostisbehere who grew up not far from where the Panthers play but Hughes grew up closer to Tampa Bay than South Florida. I don't think there are stats that show a hometown player even brings in more fans/revenue so not worth for that reason.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah I wouldn't give up Borgstrom to move to #3. We can still get a great defense prospect at #15. Hughes is a brilliant offensive talent and probably the best skater in the draft, but there are still too many question marks around his defensive game for me, to consider him a slam dunk first pairing guy.

Even apart from the obvious guys, even Dobson, Bouchard, Smith, Wilde, and K'Andre Miller would all be top 10 picks in a normal class for defensemen. And others like Sandin, Merkley, Woo, and McIsaac would almost certainly be top 20. We literally can't mess up if we pick a defenseman. Even guys like Hughes and Merkley who if their defensive play never comes around should still be effective offensive weapons who should carve out nice careers in the nhl.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I want Merkley at 15

I could actually see it, he's exactly the kind of defenseman Tallon wants, even if he's a bit undersized. I'd be okay with it, high risk but extremely high reward. If Hughes' skating is 9.5/10 then I'd say Merkley is 9/10. His edgework is just as good as Hughes', his stick handling as well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
What are the chances we see a trade at the draft? We have a log jam at center with McCann and Borg and it's obvious they are looking to add a top4 D...meaning that someone has to go (Pysyk most likely).

Pysyk to Toronto for a second rounder? McCann to Montreal for Petry? :dunno:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What are the chances we see a trade at the draft? We have a log jam at center with McCann and Borg and it's obvious they are looking to add a top4 D...meaning that someone has to go (Pysyk most likely).

Pysyk to Toronto for a second rounder? McCann to Montreal for Petry? :dunno:

I'd love to keep McCann and Borg and somehow dump McKenzie, I know that's not gonna happen though. We could shift Mac to wing, but we have a lot of forwards. If Tippett makes the team that would give us 15 forwards, they'd have some tough decisions then.

We do have too many defensemen though.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Merkley could be there with our 2nd rounder. Last time i checked he was going around 28-40 in most mocks.
I have reason to believe he might even be gone by panthers pick at 15. Lots of people I talk to like his upside too much

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have reason to believe he might even be gone by panthers pick at 15. Lots of people I talk to like his upside too much

Yeah, with his unique skillet I really can't see him lasting until 28, I'd honestly be shocked. If he pans out, he's Karlsson lite. Somebody will roll the dice.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ryan merkley and rasmus sandin are both great looking D on top of wilde and mcissac. therell be some solid forwards available as well, would still prefer someone like denisenko or kupari, but then again id rather trade the pick for an established top-6 winger or top-4 D that can step in next season. kovy available, kessel, patches, skinner, theres guys out there, along with D, we need to pursue some of these guys.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I don't see the need to draft some 165 or 175 lbs defenseman. The only way I draft a dman is if he can step right in from juniors at 200 lbs and be a shutdown defender with some puck moving ability. We have Finkelstein if they can get him signed at the end of next season before he becomes a UFA. Boo wants a shutdown guy that's better than Weegar. It will cost too much and the upgrade will be minimal. Plus we have to see how McCoshen looks in camp and Stillman is a solid shutdown guy with offensive upside. Go defense with the 2nd round pick. :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
^I don't see the need to draft some 165 or 175 lbs defenseman. The only way I draft a dman is if he can step right in from juniors at 200 lbs and be a shutdown defender with some puck moving ability. We have Finkelstein if they can get him signed at the end of next season before he becomes a UFA. Boo wants a shutdown guy that's better than Weegar. It will cost too much and the upgrade will be minimal. Plus we have to see how McCoshen looks in camp and Stillman is a solid shutdown guy with offensive upside. Go defense with the 2nd round pick. :)

D-prospect pool is your biggest weakness. Should start to address that problem and adding some speed wouldn't be the worst thing.

Avoid the situation where Boston ended up, I've learned the value of healthy prospect pool, and it's gold.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
it will be interesting to see all the late movement with players come draft time.

I am intrigued by Veleno's talent. Wish i knew more about the Russians and Kupari...

We are in a very interesting spot for our pick. I have run plenty of random drafts on that one site above and we have had many different players fall to us.

I still really like Bode Wilde... I don't think we can go wrong there.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
it will be interesting to see all the late movement with players come draft time.

I am intrigued by Veleno's talent. Wish i knew more about the Russians and Kupari...

We are in a very interesting spot for our pick. I have run plenty of random drafts on that one site above and we have had many different players fall to us.

I still really like Bode Wilde... I don't think we can go wrong there.
He's a gambler in the mode of Ekblad and is penalty prone from what I've read. Plus he heads to U of Michigan for a few years is my guess. I'd take a pass and p/u Jett Woo in the 2nd round. He's got more of a shutdown mentality with his size but has offensive upside and could be NHL ready this coming season or next. :)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Like the Russian, Vitali Kravtov. People are saying he's a top 10 pick if not for Russian factor. Im liking his game a shooter more than a passer with good IQ.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Defensemen are more difficult to project than forwards. It might be a good idea to draft a forward at 15, then a defenseman at 31

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I had the pleasure of drafting as the Panthers in the Habs Board annual mock draft. No trades are allowed, here were the results:

15 F Jonatan Berggren
34 D Ryan Merkley
120 G Lukas Dostal
139 D Nico Gross
170 F Jake Pivonka
201 F Kristian Tanus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I had the pleasure of drafting as the Panthers in the Habs Board annual mock draft. No trades are allowed, here were the results:

15 F Jonatan Berggren
34 D Ryan Merkley
120 G Lukas Dostal
139 D Nico Gross
170 F Jake Pivonka
201 F Kristian Tanus
I like Merkley and Dostal at thos spots; don't know enough about Gross, Pivonka and Tanus.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like Merkley and Dostal at thos spots; don't know enough about Gross, Pivonka and Tanus.

Gross is a solid all-around defender that was captain of the Swiss U18 team. Had mono late summer and so started the OHL season slow. Projects to be a 5-6 D.

Pivonka is a centre that was more highly touted but didn’t live up to his original offensive potential. Development stagnated so he is more of an all-around player now. 3C upside.

Tanus is an undersized Finn playing in a lower tier. Some nice skills. Did well at the U18 for the winning team.

But honestly, I’ve done a lot of mocks over the years and this one is a serious crapshoot from Round 5 on. Hard to find “late gems”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad