Prospect Info: Panthers 2018 Entry Draft Talk

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Short Question what value has the Pick 15 in the first Round.
We say we need this and that and we can spend to max. But could we get a Top6 Winger or Top4 Dman in return?
As Soup says, it depends on each teams draft board. There is a tiny possibility that someone falls to us at 15 and a team like Montreal is willing to trade for a C like Kotkaniemi. Just depends on the assets that team has and is willing to give up for him.

My guess is Montreal will take Zadina and start making offers to teams that follow in order to grab Kotkaniemi. The problem is they don't have a lot of assets tied up with reasonable term that are enticing. Montreal is not the only team that would value Kotkaniemi (because of the shortage of quality C's in the draft), so it just remains to be seen who is willing to deal a known quantity NHL top 6 or Top 4 to get him. My take is there wouldn't be any teams willing to move a top 6 winger unless it were someone who is used to create space like Abdelkador or Josh Anderson. Solid Top 3D would never happen but maybe a tweener #4 or 5. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Short Question what value has the Pick 15 in the first Round.
We say we need this and that and we can spend to max. But could we get a Top6 Winger or Top4 Dman in return?
The 15th pick as centerpiece of a package could probably get us that, yes. Look at the 2010 NHL draft with the 15th pick and 25th pick for what we gave up to get those picks.

If we can find a rebuilding team with assets to move, it's a definite option.

It might make sense to trade down from 15 to get a later first round pick and pick up another second so we have two seconds and a first. Then we could trade the first and use the two seconds to still get us some decent prospects.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
People can say that only the top ten picks are quality picks but then we look at them 4-5 years later and the Pasternaks and the Trochecks were picked 37th and 55th.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
People can say that only the top ten picks are quality picks but then we look at them 4-5 years later and the Pasternaks and the Trochecks were picked 37th and 55th.

Man I hate when people say stuff like this. Sure you can get great players late in draft but your chances are much better if you're in the top 10. Takes a lot of luck for the tiny percent chance you land on a Trocheck at 55.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
<<What Screwy said.
Sure you can get a good player later in the draft, but it's a probability game. Generally, if your 1st round pick doesn't develop into a decent NHLer, it means you messed up. With the 6th/7th round pick it's the reverse - if you get a decent NHLer then you've done a great job scouting.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Man I hate when people say stuff like this. Sure you can get great players late in draft but your chances are much better if you're in the top 10. Takes a lot of luck for the tiny percent chance you land on a Trocheck at 55.
The point is, don't expect the best players to end up being only from the top 10.

Therefore, I really hate it when people ignore reality. Some players mature later. That's how people are.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Just curious, but are you guys infatuated at all with the idea of Quinn Hughes due to him being a Florida boy? Obviously he won't be there are 15, but wondering if he'd be a target for a Panthers trade up...

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Just curious, but are you guys infatuated at all with the idea of Quinn Hughes due to him being a Florida boy? Obviously he won't be there are 15, but wondering if he'd be a target for a Panthers trade up...
If you're asking me whether I'd want him, hell yes, but that has nothing to do with him being a Florida boy and everything to do with his perceived ceiling and possibly being the second best Dman in the draft.
As for trading up, it would depend entirely on the price.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If you're asking me whether I'd want him, hell yes, but that has nothing to do with him being a Florida boy and everything to do with his perceived ceiling and possibly being the second best Dman in the draft.
As for trading up, it would depend entirely on the price.
What about Borgstrom and 15 for 3?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Was Borgstrom born in Quebec? :sarcasm:
Montreal fans are challenging Florida fans love for the Artist.

I don't think that's a smart move for us at all. Use 34th over plus Mascherin to move in late 1st and we just have to draft well.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Was Borgstrom born in Quebec? :sarcasm:
Montreal fans are challenging Florida fans love for the Artist.

I don't think that's a smart move for us at all. Use 34th over plus Mascherin to move in late 1st and we just have to draft well.
You know your roster better than I, but I'm assuming because you have a great young 1-2 punch up the middle already, and Hughes appears to be just what you want on D (plus being from Florida), thought it could work.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You know your roster better than I, but I'm assuming because you have a great young 1-2 punch up the middle already, and Hughes appears to be just what you want on D (plus being from Florida), thought it could work.

I appreciate the attempt at helping us pick top 3 and the chance to draft Hughes but I feel the difference between a Hughes and say Wilde at 15th is not Borgstrom.

Borgstrom is slated for 3C or top 6 winger and most Panther fans want more than 4-5 games to evaluate him. I have to see him play with Barkov or Trocheck, something in me knows the kid will be a 65-70pt player if he's converted to LW.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
A team doesn't put 2 years of effort into developing a prospect they seem very happy with, only to turn around and trade him right as he's about to graduate to the pro level. Sure, some team that has a crazy deep prospect pool (cough cough Tampa) can afford that, but Panthers really aren't in that position. A lot of NHL wingers played center at the lower levels, so that's not a good excuse either.

I think to jump into the top8, we'd need another 1st round pick and that would probably mean doing a seperate trade to upgrade the Yotes 2nd rounder to a 1st in the 20-23 range. Now what we'd give up to do that, maybe a future 1st. I can't see roster pieces nor the prospects in the system being on the table. On top of that of course, we'd need a team that's willing to drop down just for picks.

However, there's been research (don't remember his name, but he's in CBJ management and was on Friedman's podcast some time ago, he's created some sort of draft position value chart) that in most cases, trading up isn't worth it.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I like Borg a lot but heck no. Svechnikov is not far behind where Laine was, some even like him more due to his skating and competitive style.

If you're placing Svech on the same tier to that of Laine, there's no deal to be made. Quite frankly, I wouldn't trade Borg for Svechnikov but I'm probably in the very niche minority.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The whole basis of the deal relies on the Panthers wanting Quinn Hughes.

The panthers don't need defense that badly. We already have Ekblad, Matheson, Yandle currently no need to give up a top prospect who is read for another prospect who is just entering the draft . You seem to think the Panthers value the fact that he is from Florida (Orlando) four hours north of where the Panthers play but in reality the Panthers or fans can care less that he is from Orlando.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The panthers don't need defense that badly. We already have Ekblad, Matheson, Yandle currently no need to give up a top prospect who is read for another prospect who is just entering the draft . You seem to think the Panthers value the fact that he is from Florida (Orlando) four hours north of where the Panthers play but in reality the Panthers or fans can care less that he is from Orlando.
If ownership thinks it could expand the fan base, I'm sure that could make it even more intriguing for Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->