Prospect Info: Panthers 2018 Entry Draft Talk

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd prefer to trade some picks than draft some. We going to wait until this draft pick is ready to make an impact? That may be 2-3 years away when Barkov, Hubderau, Dadonov and Trocheck will be nearing UFA status.

If it's not a top 5 pick, I'm leaning towards trading it for immediate help on defense.

Reactions: Kellyr

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well. Guess I'll look at the top 5 guys this year soon.

Dunno if this team has the leadership in the coaching staff or in the players to pull it around enough for the playoffs. So I hope they would just crash and burn to a top pick if they can turn it around sometime soon.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I'd prefer to trade some picks than draft some. We going to wait until this draft pick is ready to make an impact? That may be 2-3 years away when Barkov, Hubderau, Dadonov and Trocheck will be nearing UFA status.

If it's not a top 5 pick, I'm leaning towards trading it for immediate help on defense.

I'll predict we win the lottery, so that's a no to dealing the pick. Dahlin will play with Ek next year.

tumblr_mno8155o7z1sq9agdo1_400.png

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Dahlin and Boqvist as the top D. for forwards obviously Svechnikov, i really like Wahlstrom (C/RW?), Zadina (LW/RW), and Kupari (C). Kupari being a finnish product i assume kek would like him and looks like a legit talent, great fast paced skater, great snapper, although a center i believe. outside of svech those are the 3 forwards i have my eye on, all have fantastic shots too.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Dahlin can honestly fix this. He has the potential to be absolute franchise can’t miss D. Him and Ekblad together would be phenomenal if Ek can actually improve his skating. Then Yandle will go to #3 and suddenly the D looks so much better.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Dahlin can honestly fix this. He has the potential to be absolute franchise can’t miss D. Him and Ekblad together would be phenomenal if Ek can actually improve his skating. Then Yandle will go to #3 and suddenly the D looks so much better.
for some reason it seems like a classic move that will result in us not getting any significantly better in the short term. immediately play the 18yr old (which i know hes fully capable of and will do), d-corp gets younger without adding any vet d, play him on the top line and feed him to the wolves and pair him with an ekblad who cant skate well enough to cover his tracks. dahlin, in this completely hypothetical and dream scenario, should start on the 2nd at most and play with a seasoned vet who can be a mature guiding force (not in terms of play necessarily) and help cover him defensively as dahlin will surely carry the puck through the zone and engage a lot within the offensive zone. at least dahlin can skate and play some (surprisingly physical at times too) defense.

with how the draft lottery is set up now it really is a complete crap shoot. anyone in the top-7 or the top-10 really could easily wind up with it. i wouldnt be completely focused on dahlin, although he is definitely the prefered top pick, but winding up with #2 and getting a big goal scoring russian rw like svechnikov, someone who could be in the mold of tarasenko or kucherov, would do absolute wonders and would give that top line a legit scoring threat. making the top line one of the best in the league.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
for some reason it seems like a classic move that will result in us not getting any significantly better in the short term. immediately play the 18yr old (which i know hes fully capable of and will do), d-corp gets younger without adding any vet d, play him on the top line and feed him to the wolves and pair him with an ekblad who cant skate well enough to cover his tracks. dahlin, in this completely hypothetical and dream scenario, should start on the 2nd at most and play with a seasoned vet who can be a mature guiding force (not in terms of play necessarily) and help cover him defensively as dahlin will surely carry the puck through the zone and engage a lot within the offensive zone. at least dahlin can skate and play some (surprisingly physical at times too) defense.

with how the draft lottery is set up now it really is a complete crap shoot. anyone in the top-7 or the top-10 really could easily wind up with it. i wouldnt be completely focused on dahlin, although he is definitely the prefered top pick, but winding up with #2 and getting a big goal scoring russian rw like svechnikov, someone who could be in the mold of tarasenko or kucherov, would do absolute wonders and would give that top line a legit scoring threat. making the top line one of the best in the league.
This wasn’t for next season I’m more talking about a general term that he will eventually give us a #1 D.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
If the season continues to go downhill it's time for one last ditch retool IMO. Shed even more fat. Work to get as many picks as possible this draft and next one. Deal with one more awful year again (I know, I know). Keep the absolute core pieces only. Hope the prospects already in the system turn out and have many more options to replace them if possible.

That or get really lucky and draft Dahlin and/or Hughes.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
If the season continues to go downhill it's time for one last ditch retool IMO. Shed even more fat. Work to get as many picks as possible this draft and next one. Deal with one more awful year again (I know, I know). Keep the absolute core pieces only. Hope the prospects already in the system turn out and have many more options to replace them if possible.

That or get really lucky and draft Dahlin and/or Hughes.

Vrbata should get a 2nd, maybe a late 1st if he plays well enough.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Tkachuk in this draft is supposed to better than his brother. I assume he plays the same style. He is also a left winger. We need some bite, so he seems like a good fit!

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Andrei Svechnikov is ranked #2 overall in all the services. This is the player I want. He's out 6-8 weeks with a hand injury but was scoring at a goal a game pace for the Barrie Colts. Could go overall #1 depending on team need. From what I've read he certainly has the credentials to give us a Kucherov type of player that is NHL ready.

I don't think we stand a prayer in the world of getting Dahlin. The Yotes will have the most balls in play IMO and even if they don't get the first draw someone else will (Just the luck of the Cats). Some scouts think Dahlin needs another year over in Sweden but I doubt it. The kid is better than many of the D who went directly to the NHL the last 2 or 3 years. The Yotes need scoring more than they need D, so Svechnikov should not be off their radar either. :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Andrei Svechnikov is ranked #2 overall in all the services. This is the player I want. He's out 6-8 weeks with a hand injury but was scoring at a goal a game pace for the Barrie Colts. Could go overall #1 depending on team need. From what I've read he certainly has the credentials to give us a Kucherov type of player that is NHL ready.

I don't think we stand a prayer in the world of getting Dahlin. The Yotes will have the most balls in play IMO and even if they don't get the first draw someone else will (Just the luck of the Cats). Some scouts think Dahlin needs another year over in Sweden but I doubt it. The kid is better than many of the D who went directly to the NHL the last 2 or 3 years. The Yotes need scoring more than they need D, so Svechnikov should not be off their radar either. :)

Ya but the Coyotes could then trade OEL if they get 1st overall and Dahlin would replace him.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Can Dahlin actually skate unlike another #1 overall defenseman?

That's a big reason why he is compared to Karlsson. Not only a great N-S skater but his agility is great too. then of course offensively he has a great shot and passing ability/vision

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
Dahlin is generational on the same level as McDavid only as a d-man.
I kind of massively doubt that. plus is karlsson not generational? or does generational mean nothing cause we can have 2-3 generational players in a generation.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I kind of massively doubt that. plus is karlsson not generational? or does generational mean nothing cause we can have 2-3 generational players in a generation.

Is McDavid generational to you? Dahlin is the best defensive prospect ever. If you compare him to Karlsson Dahlin is miles better at the same age and its not even close. Regardless they don't play a comparable style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad