Panarin to the Blackhawks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There is nothing like overrating a guy (who has never played a NHL game) to the point of starting him on the second line of the Hawks.

I never claimed he would start on the 2nd line.

But saying that people should calm down (which is fair) and citing his size as a reason is silly.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well, you'll see him soon in WHC, where he is going to be one of the main Russia's weapons. But as to his qualities, I don't think he's Patrick Kane. To me he's more like Jaden Schwartz.

He's very gritty, always forechecking, and good hands help him to take the puck away from defenders. He's perhaps even better playmaker, than sniper. His onetimer isn't bad, but his stickhandling, scating and passing are even better. He's all about strong mentality, hard working and good work ethics. And I bet the team that will sign him, gets some young Russian girls as new fans as a bonus.

That's what I like to hear.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There is nothing like overrating a guy (who has never played a NHL game) to the point of starting him on the second line of the Hawks.

The guy was the 4th leading scorer in the 2nd best league in the world. At 23. If you don't think that translates, I don't know what to tell you.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Well, I think that's the main point that might attract him, because there are a lot of NHL teams which are ready to give him a top6 role. I actually don't understand why Chicago. His good friend Tarasenko plays for the Blues, and they wouldn't mind to get a cheap left winger with upside. The line Panarin - Lehtera - Tarasenko looks pretty sexy.

Then there is the Pens who desperately need a cost controlled LW to play with Malkin. Considering both are Russians this signing would look even more logical.

And then there is Chicago which doesn't have Russians and hasn't signed any for a decade. And if the management doesn't promise him a top6 role, then I see no reasons for Panarin to come to the Hawks.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not expecting much if he is signed, but more than happy to take the chance.

Truth be told I'd be more thrilled if Tikhonov signs with us. Think he has all the ability in the world to be a great bottom six player, and if his last name was Thomas he'd already be established as such.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Well, I think that's the main point that might attract him, because there are a lot of NHL teams which are ready to give him a top6 role. I actually don't understand why Chicago. His good friend Tarasenko plays for the Blues, and they wouldn't mind to get a cheap left winger with upside. The line Panarin - Lehtera - Tarasenko looks pretty sexy.

Then there is the Pens who desperately need a cost controlled LW to play with Malkin. Considering both are Russians this signing would look even more logical.

And then there is Chicago which doesn't have Russians and hasn't signed any for a decade. And if the management doesn't promise him a top6 role, then I see no reasons for Panarin to come to the Hawks.

Ever been to Chicago? Pretty nice place for a wealthy young guy to live...

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
This is huge. I remember hearing his name on Laughlin/Barnaby's show a couple times. He's very good in the KHL. He produced in the postseason also, which is even better.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Ever been to Chicago? Pretty nice place for a wealthy young guy to live...

Of course, but for a good place to live he can go to New York where Islanders wouldn't mind to get a young good winger. And there are Florida teams...

I'd say when you move to a new country and culture the biggest challenge is to get adapted painlessly. That's where fellow countrymen can help. And if those fellow countrymen are big stars on their teams, it can help even more.

Not sure if Malkin could score 100+ points in his 2nd NHL season without Gonchar's help.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Of course, but for a good place to live he can go to New York where Islanders wouldn't mind to get a young good winger. And there are Florida teams...

I'd say when you move to a new country and culture the biggest challenge is to get adapted painlessly. That's where fellow countrymen can help. And if those fellow countrymen are big stars on their teams, it can help even more.

Not sure if Malkin could score 100+ points in his 2nd NHL season without Gonchar's help.

Maybe he likes winning?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

If Panarin is coming, you'd have to think that Tikhonov isn't far behind. Or maybe Stan makes a move for a Russian. He brought over Teravainen as our only Finn and now Raanta, Pokka and Timonen are around.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Dude outscored Ilya Kovalchuk... who's blocking him from 2nd line LW, Mark McNeill? :laugh:

To gain a bit of perspective, Steve Moses, Nigel Dawes Matt Ellison and Brian Bochenski all outscored

Kovalchuck in the regular season.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why didn't anyone draft this guy???

He's not big and he's Russian. He scored 2 goals in that 2011 WJC final vs Canada, but nobody was still impressed. Then he had a couple of not very successful seasons in the KHL, untill he got to St. Petersburg where flourished.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
To gain a bit of perspective, Steve Moses and Nigel Dawes had 64 points and 56 points in the KHL.

Nigel Dawes is 30 years old. Steve Moses is 25 and might be good. He's already gotten a contract in the NHL for next year.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010

We are the LA Lakers of the NHL. Everybody wants a piece.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Honestly, Hawkscap. The dude scores more than Kovalchuk, we just saw what Lehtera did in our division and he was far less productive than Panarin in the KHL. You throw out 30 year old dudes who are scoring less than Panarin as the reason why Panarin won't be good. He's 23 years old. Don't have to be so negative

On top of that, who do you think will be the Hawks 2LW next year. Saad is 1. Then we have: Shaw, McNeill, Ross, Baun. I'll take the PPG+ guy from the KHL thank you very much,

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
To gain a bit of perspective, Steve Moses and Nigel Dawes had 64 points and 63 points in the KHL.

Ex Hawk Matt Ellison , yes the one traded for Sharp, put up 60 pts.

Kovalchuck had 74 pts .

Yeah, and Kuznetsov scored 21 points in 31 games in his last KHL season. And the best Kovy's PPG season in the KHL was 42 points in 36 games, when he played with Tarasenko and Tikhonov.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I am not saying this kid can't be good but putting this guy on the second line is way too early. KHL stats translating to NHL are meaningless .

How many guys have been penciled in on the second line without playing a NHL game: Kruger Leblanc Kontiola Carrey

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I am not saying this kid can't be good but putting this guy on the second line is way too early. KHL stats translating to NHL are meaningless .

How many guys have been penciled in on the second line without playing a NHL game: Kruger Leblanc Kontiola

Those were 2C hopefuls, wing is an awful lot easier.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Don't assume Q will just play the guy, you know how he is with rookies

Panarin has said he wants a top 6 role with a team that is contending. If there were 10 teams in on him, and all of them were able to the same contract, ($900k ELC with something like a 3.5 mil signing bonus) it's safe to assume he was promised at least a shot at a top 6 role with the Hawks...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Honestly, Hawkscap. The dude scores more than Kovalchuk, we just saw what Lehtera did in our division and he was far less productive than Panarin in the KHL. You throw out 30 year old dudes who are scoring less than Panarin as the reason why Panarin won't be good. He's 23 years old. Don't have to be so negative

On top of that, who do you think will be the Hawks 2LW next year. Saad is 1. Then we have: Shaw, McNeill, Ross, Baun. I'll take the PPG+ guy from the KHL thank you very much,

You're assuming Sharp is gone. Also, I'm going to be curious to see how Q handles this kid. I don't know how solid his D game is but Q has shown zero reservation for benching kids until they prove they can be responsible on D. Tuevo has always had sick offensive abilities and Q still benched him a ton, despite him working on his defensive game.

Maybe things change next season if we take a step down from being cup contenders but I'd be surprised to see Quenville give this kid consistent top 6 ice time

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You're assuming Sharp is gone. Also, I'm going to be curious to see how Q handles this kid. I don't know how solid his D game is but Q has shown zero reservation for benching kids until they prove they can be responsible on D. Tuevo has always had sick offensive abilities and Q still benched him a ton, despite him working on his defensive game.

Maybe things change next season if we take a step down from being cup contenders but I'd be surprised to see Quenville give this kid consistent top 6 ice time

Q has never benched Teravainen due to his defense. He has said nothing but glowing things about Teravainen's defense since prospect camp.

Q won't have any options. Again, is he going to play hardball with Panarin, what's he going to do... play Mark McNeill or Garrett Ross over him? Panarin will be the second most experienced LW on the team next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad