Series Talk: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (M2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Well we just got lucky and if the pens play exactly like that but not give up 3 goals they will win.

Sigh

I don't believe any of the goals were lucky, but the results of working puck. Burns' goal was from likely seeing a weakness of Murray before the game, and as a result, they worked to exploit that weakness.

I'm wondering if by lucky, you mean the post ringers.

Both Karlsson and Pavs goals were misdirection executed extremely well. Couture and Thornton sold the fake of driving the puck further, but execute a pass for the score. Couture's, in particular, was a thing of beauty.

Pens have been biting and over-committing throughout most of this series, and it's nice to see the Sharks waking up and take advantage of that. They need to keep doing that, avoid losing momentum on the PK, and get their PP back.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I sort of see where they're coming from on the first and third goals on Murray. The Burns goal unfolded a lot like the Donskoi goal but Burns' goal didn't go over his shoulder. It didn't ramp up like Donskoi's did and go bar down. It was a pretty clean shot that beat him short side because he wasn't on the post. He was on the post for Donskoi's goal but either Schultz or Malkin's stick ramped it up and right over his shoulder.

The third one was a little tougher because that was a changeup shot due to it being on edge. They're going to look at it as soft because it wasn't a hard shot but a goalie is expecting a hard shot there and a changeup can screw things up from that close. So I can see both arguments on that one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't believe any of the goals were lucky, but the results of working puck. Burns' goal was from likely seeing a weakness of Murray before the game, and as a result, they worked to exploit that weakness.

Both Karlsson and Pavs goals were misdirection executed extremely well. Couture and Thornton sold the fake of driving the puck further, but execute a pass for the score. Couture's, in particular, was a thing of beauty.

Pens have been biting and over-committing throughout most of this series, and it's nice to see the Sharks waking up and take advantage of that. They need to keep doing that, avoid losing momentum on the PK, and get their PP back.

I think any goal that involves Brenden Dillon getting an assist constitutes lucky.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Karlsson's goal wasn't luck. Murray has been beaten above the left pad and under the glove 3 games in a row (Ward game 3, Karlsson game 4, Karlsson game 5). It's a weak spot the Sharks need to keep aiming for. If he adjusts, the top part of the net will be open.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson's goal wasn't luck. Murray has been beaten above the left pad and under the glove 3 games in a row (Ward game 3, Karlsson game 4, Karlsson game 5). It's a weak spot the Sharks need to keep aiming for. If he adjusts, the top part of the net will be open.

Dillon making a competent play with the puck is certainly lucky. Come on now. :P

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Its not just low glove where Murray has holes. He has holes everywhere and doesn't track the puck well. The Sharks just need to do a better job of getting the puck on him and take advantage of Jonesy in a groove. The Penguins could've been blanked last night.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They certainly tried to keep Pittsburgh to the outside while not taking many risks offensively in the final 40.

They constantly sent 3 forecheckers in and pinched the dmen. Thats why the Pens get the breakouts they do. Its not like the Sharks tried to sit on a lead for 40 minutes.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I know Pitt is dominating the shot clock, and a lot of that credit should be going to their shot blocking ability. However, most of SJ's goals were legit deflections or snipes. Pitt keeps scoring off weird bounces. Despite that, the entire media narrative is that SJ is getting all the lucky breaks. I guess it's easier to just watch the shot clock and stick with that narrative though.

Yes, Murray should better have that angle on Burns's goal, but Burns' shot (just like Donskoi's) was indeed a perfect snipe.

Haha, Braun just "sent the puck towards the goal". I'm fine with that in isolation, but wait until you see the next goal description:

What. The. ****.

Bouncing off Hagelin's body is pure skill.

Wait, what? An unguarded wrister from the slot is a bad goal now? W.T.F. Murray hasn't been great, but the Sharks scoring chances, while few, have been dynamite.

Well, okay, maybe the coverage of officiating will be a bit unbiased.

I'm ok with this, although I'd say the hooking on Pittsburgh was let go most of the game as well, and it took several scoring chances negated by too many men before the refs finally called it. I'm not sure why only the Sharks are called out here.

In conclusion, I'm not saying the Sharks are dominating. I'm not saying Murray hasn't let in a couple stinkers (Ward's slapper comes to mind). But man, the Sharks are ****ing burying their opportunities and Jones is stonewalling Pitt's. I agree Pitt is carrying the play and the difference has been Jones. But, if we're talking just about bounce goals, it's Pitt who's been lucky.

P.S. And no, when you hit the post with your shot that wasn't unlucky, that was you lacking the skill to find space between the goalie and the post---if it even existed. There's a reason that's not even considered a shot on goal.

Puck Daddy should play in traffic. Dude is a straight up butt chugger.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I sort of see where they're coming from on the first and third goals on Murray. The Burns goal unfolded a lot like the Donskoi goal but Burns' goal didn't go over his shoulder. It didn't ramp up like Donskoi's did and go bar down. It was a pretty clean shot that beat him short side because he wasn't on the post. He was on the post for Donskoi's goal but either Schultz or Malkin's stick ramped it up and right over his shoulder.

The third one was a little tougher because that was a changeup shot due to it being on edge. They're going to look at it as soft because it wasn't a hard shot but a goalie is expecting a hard shot there and a changeup can screw things up from that close. So I can see both arguments on that one.

I disagree about the Burns goal. That's a type of goal that we saw victimize Jones so many times during the early season and that's a result of poor post work by the goalie. Have the player swing a little wide and there are just a ton of holes that a shooter can get through.

Here's an article about it:
http://ingoalmag.com/technique/reverse-vh-common-issues-proper-execution/

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I guess, because the scores were close, but they outshot us by a lot. Even more so if you believe shot blocking is a skill. Again, don't care if we're lucky if we win.

I'm just saying that a couple of bounces for the Sharks andd who knows what happens. Maybe two of the 6 posts they hit in game two go the other way. I don't care how they win either. I don't care about moral victories or "outplaying" them. End result is what matters.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I disagree about the Burns goal. That's a type of goal that we saw victimize Jones so many times during the early season and that's a result of poor post work by the goalie. Have the player swing a little wide and there are just a ton of holes that a shooter can get through.

Here's an article about it:
http://ingoalmag.com/technique/reverse-vh-common-issues-proper-execution/

I think pointing to that article is a good argument on the Donskoi goal but the Burns goal, it didn't even look like Murray got from one side to the other in time because he never even established position whether reverse-VH or just getting off the post because he was coming out to the dot. He just looked slow getting over entirely. It's a bad goal just because he didn't establish any sort of positioning to try and make the save and it's on the American league side which is never good. lol

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Murray leaves holes everywhere. Why I'm frustrated with the Sharks shooters.

Agreed, every one was talking about Murray being weak high glove and the Sharks were aiming there earlier in the series but man he leaves a bunch of openings to put the puck past him if only the Sharks would put more shots on the nets.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
This is certainly hyperbole. Patty is right on Pavs' heels as a producer on the power play and is miles better as an option in that situation defensively if you're going to go that route but I would've sat Couture in that spot and gone Marleau-Thornton-Pavs with Vlasic-Burns on the point.

That's what I was getting at. Marleau is #5 on that unit so he was first off for Vlasic to protect against the SH but still have an offensive threat on the PP.

Defensively, Patty > Pavs but Couture and Patty are a wash defensively but offensively, Couture >> Marleau - at least that's what I infer from Deboer's move.

Anyhow, not trying to stir up the Patty hater crowd. I just, for once, would love to see him absolutely take out the body or block an absolutely ridiculous shot like Vlasic, Pavs and Couture have. The kind of "holy **** this dude is really giving it" type. Is that too much to ask?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think pointing to that article is a good argument on the Donskoi goal but the Burns goal, it didn't even look like Murray got from one side to the other in time because he never even established position whether reverse-VH or just getting off the post because he was coming out to the dot. He just looked slow getting over entirely. It's a bad goal just because he didn't establish any sort of positioning to try and make the save and it's on the American league side which is never good. lol

https://streamable.com/uul7

The clip of the goal does show Murray dropping into the reverse-VH and recognizing too late that he needs to transition out of it.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Agreed, every one was talking about Murray being weak high glove and the Sharks were aiming there earlier in the series but man he leaves a bunch of openings to put the puck past him if only the Sharks would put more shots on the nets.

I can see why the Pens are hellbent on blocking shots. The Sharks just need to shoot quicker. Don't dust it off, just shoot before they get in position. Save the puckholding and patience for when they get down low.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's what I was getting at. Marleau is #5 on that unit so he was first off for Vlasic to protect against the SH but still have an offensive threat on the PP.

Defensively, Patty > Pavs but Couture and Patty are a wash defensively but offensively, Couture >> Marleau - at least that's what I infer from Deboer's move.

Anyhow, not trying to stir up the Patty hater crowd. I just, for once, would love to see him absolutely take out the body or block an absolutely ridiculous shot like Vlasic, Pavs and Couture have. The kind of "holy **** this dude is really giving it" type. Is that too much to ask?

I wouldn't say that Patty is any better defensively than either Couture or Pavelski. I would only have him in there in that situation for his speed. Short-handed chances aren't going to happen except on a turnover for the most part and neither of Pavs or Cooch have the speed to get back into a play and break it up. Marleau does and he's done well on the back-check the whole playoffs including this series.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
https://streamable.com/uul7

The clip of the goal does show Murray dropping into the reverse-VH and recognizing too late that he needs to transition out of it.

I agree with that. I believe this was a soft goal on Murray's part. While this is partly the weakness of the technique, getting beat blocker side like that even with the poor recognition is a bad goal to give up. At least on Donskoi's goal, the shot was ramped up off his own team's stick and over his shoulder. There isn't much he can do about that one but certainly the Burns one he should've had.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

I was being facetious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad