Series Talk: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (M2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Any good luck/bad luck last game kinda evened out. It was really bad luck that the Malkin goal bounced in off of Braun, and the Hagelin gial just randomly bounced off his shoulder, but that bad luck was evened out by the good luck of getting three posts on that one Penguins' PP.

I honestly wouldn't call any of the Sharks' goals lucky. The Couture goal was just a great tip. The other two, Murray definitely could have played better, but last time I checked the goaltender was still part of the team, and his bad performance combined with Jones' God-mode (best performance in Sharks' playoff goaltender history?) ruined a great performance by the Penguins' skaters.

The two games in SJ have been really even so I feel pretty okay about game 6 (I'd say 50-50 odds) and I'm not even going to think about a potential game 7 until it happens.

I'm pretty happy.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Great post Sleepy. The particular narrative that Jones playing out of his mind and Murray playing relatively poorly is somehow luck on the Sharks part cracks me up the most out of everything. Goalies are a part of the team. Their play should not be isolated from the rest of the team.

I also take particular offense to the complaints over the lack of an interference call on Pavelski when Fehr was attempting to break out all alone. I rewound and watched that play several times - Pavs had an angle on Fehr while the puck was there and went to make contact. Fehr dropped like a sack of potatoes the moment he was breathed on in hopes of drawing a call. It was the second time Fehr dressed up a takedown like that (interference against Karlsson off a faceoff in game 4).

Flididdle

Sep 24, 2015
Any good luck/bad luck last game kinda evened out. It was really bad luck that the Malkin goal bounced in off of Braun, and the Hagelin gial just randomly bounced off his shoulder, but that bad luck was evened out by the good luck of getting three posts on that one Penguins' PP.

I honestly wouldn't call any of the Sharks' goals lucky. The Couture goal was just a great tip. The other two, Murray definitely could have played better, but last time I checked the goaltender was still part of the team, and his bad performance combined with Jones' God-mode (best performance in Sharks' playoff goaltender history?) ruined a great performance by the Penguins' skaters.

The two games in SJ have been really even so I feel pretty okay about game 6 (I'd say 50-50 odds) and I'm not even going to think about a potential game 7 until it happens.

I'm pretty happy.

Duly noted

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Seems like a lot of the goals against have been due to deflections, random bounces, and tips. I also do think that Malkin purposefully banked the shot in off of Braun...it looked like a very deliberate play.

Great post Sleepy. The particular narrative that Jones playing out of his mind and Murray playing relatively poorly is somehow luck on the Sharks part cracks me up the most out of everything. Goalies are a part of the team. Their play should not be isolated from the rest of the team.

Keep in mind that Sharks fans would use that same narrative over and over again during a scoring slump or goalie slump.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seems like a lot of the goals against have been due to deflections, random bounces, and tips. I also do think that Malkin purposefully banked the shot in off of Braun...it looked like a very deliberate play.

Whether or not it was deliberate, it was still very fortunate it worked.

Keep in mind that Sharks fans would use that same narrative over and over again during a scoring slump or goalie slump.

It's funny how being on the right side of it for one single time was all it took to convince us... When you're on the wrong side time after time after time again it's hard to see it logically.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
We've had a lot of them this year, but, This is the biggest game in franchise history coming up.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The sharks still have another gear we haven't seen in the finals, I just hope we see it.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The sharks still have another gear we haven't seen in the finals, I just hope we see it.

Hopefully Couture and Pavelski gained a ton of confidence last game. Thinking that's why Thornton gave it to Pavelski. Sometimes that first goal is so hard.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I just love the uncharted waters as being a fan of the nhl for as long as i can remember. I know according to my parents i was a bruins fan from the day i was born, but i definately could not have cared 1 bit one way or another back in 89 when the bruins made the cup finals for the 1st time in my bruins fan life time.

For the 1st time i actually get to cheer on my team in the cup finals. I am just enjoying it for what it is and that is just an amazing ride.

Watching the hockey in the playoffs as a neutral fan is the best thing to enjoy hockey. But nothing will ever beat following your own team go from round 1 through to the conference finals and playing that 1st stanley cup game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hopefully Couture and Pavelski gained a ton of confidence last game. Thinking that's why Thornton gave it to Pavelski. Sometimes that first goal is so hard.

Thornton gave it to pavelski just because he is thornton and shooting is bad. But mostly because he was back to the net and 2 guys on him.

The funny thing is, the sharks don't even need both couture and pavs to heat up. Just 1 will do, getting both firing on all cylinders just means this series is going 7.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Agreed on that front. All these years watching other teams in the final has had us patiently waiting for our chance. I wasn't anywhere close to in existence in '67 when the Leafs won. So this is the first time I've seen a team I cheer for in the final.

Enjoying the ride so far. No way it ends Sunday :D

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Pavelski's best games have been 4 and 5. Just needs to push through whatever is hurting (which he will) and keep fighting.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Thornton gave it to pavelski just because he is thornton and shooting is bad. But mostly because he was back to the net and 2 guys on him.

The funny thing is, the sharks don't even need both couture and pavs to heat up. Just 1 will do, getting both firing on all cylinders just means this series is going 7.

Maybe, but I honestly think a lot of guys would have just backhanded it on net. I thought he was going to do that as well.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Maybe, but I honestly think a lot of guys would have just backhanded it on net. I thought he was going to do that as well.

99% of the time that would result in a turnover with 2 players stuck in a bad spot in the offensive zone with the puck going towards the defensive zone.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
99% of the time that would result in a turnover with 2 players stuck in a bad spot in the offensive zone with the puck going towards the defensive zone.

I mean, he made the right play. There's no doubt about that. But I just think if it were anyone else he would have done that. Most players lose their poise with an empty net and try to go for it.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Seems like a lot of the goals against have been due to deflections, random bounces, and tips.

That's the story of Joner's life as a Shark. As I've said in the past, his numbers would be amazing without all of the fluky crap that gets in while he's between the pipes.

This playoff season has just about worn me out. I can't even think about the next one in between games any more, it's too distracting. Don't even ask what happens to my blood pressure during these games!

Two more wins!!

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Two days rest. Max two games left.

Not sure I'd ice Dillon or polak anymore than 10 min lol. And I know it's crazy but I'd probably sit someone for demelo.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's the story of Joner's life as a Shark. As I've said in the past, his numbers would be amazing without all of the fluky crap that gets in while he's between the pipes.

This playoff season has just about worn me out. I can't even think about the next one in between games any more, it's too distracting. Don't even ask what happens to my blood pressure during these games!

Two more wins!!

Next week, I'm gonna go through all his goals against and count out the number of goals that I consider "****ing ********" cuz it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad