Series Talk: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (M2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Congrats to Phil Kessel. Nice to see him win a Cup and possible CS as a middle finger to all the idiots who doubt him (looking at you USA Hockey).

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
It ain't over just yet. Grim as the outlook may be I can't disrespect the boys by anointing the Pens champs until it happens.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Congrats to Phil Kessel. Nice to see him win a Cup and possible CS as a middle finger to all the idiots who doubt him (looking at you USA Hockey).

I have no strong feelings about kessel either way, but needing to be on a 3rd line of a stacked team to have success isn't all that great of a resume builder.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Abdelkader is better tho bruh, brings dat grit!

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
I have no strong feelings about kessel either way, but needing to be on a 3rd line of a stacked team to have success isn't all that great of a resume builder.

He doesn't need to be on the third line. You could even argue that his line is the defacto top line or second line for the Pens this year (or at least in the playoffs). He's had plenty of success even on terribly assembled and heinously coached Leafs teams.

The media unfairly scrutinizes his weight, characterizes his demeanor as being a sign he doesn't care, and opines that he's lazy just because the game comes so naturally to him that he doesn't need to look like he's trying to move a mountain in order to play elite hockey.

We of all people should know that a Cup doesn't define the greatness of a player, I just think it's nice to see that a long time punching bag of the hockey community is going to get his name on the Cup. Of course I would MUCH rather that person be Jumbo, but I can still be a little happy for Kessel.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He doesn't need to be on the third line. You could even argue that his line is the defacto top line or second line for the Pens this year (or at least in the playoffs). He's had plenty of success even on terribly assembled and heinously coached Leafs teams.

The media unfairly scrutinizes his weight, characterizes his demeanor as being a sign he doesn't care, and opines that he's lazy just because the game comes so naturally to him that he doesn't need to look like he's trying to move a mountain in order to play elite hockey.

We of all people should know that a Cup doesn't define the greatness of a player, I just think it's nice to see that a long time punching bag of the hockey community is going to get his name on the Cup. Of course I would MUCH rather that person be Jumbo, but I can still be a little happy for Kessel.

So what you are saying is Kessel is a less attractive, less in shape, American Marleau?

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
So what you are saying is Kessel is a less attractive, less in shape, American Marleau?

Ha! That's pretty good comparison. I'd say it was a little tougher for Kessel being in TO, and having the weight of Seguin/Hamilton on him as well.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

i dunno about all that, was never invested in hisa story, and i agree he should be on team usa but cup results are team results and his success is because he cant get consistent defensive pressure with the team as it is.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

and oh yes i am sure kessel is getting the tough assignments from the other teams top defensive pairings with nobody's like crosby and malkin in front of him lol.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
and oh yes i am sure kessel is getting the tough assignments from the other teams top defensive pairings with nobody's like crosby and malkin in front of him lol.

He was just as successful (playoff accomplishments aside) in Toronto as the team's #1 offensive threat with a trainwreck of a team, a terrible center, and terrible coaches.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He was just as successful (playoff accomplishments aside) in Toronto as the team's #1 offensive threat with a trainwreck of a team, a terrible center, and terrible coaches.

No, he wasn't successful at all (by the standard of winning a cup, which is what you cited)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Kessel has shown that he his a great complementary player. Not a superstar, not someone you can build around, but a great 1B piece...like Patrick Marleau. Toronto was foolhardy trying to build their forwards around him.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
No, he wasn't successful at all (by the standard of winning a cup, which is what you cited)

Uh, no. I didn't cite winning a Cup as a standard of success. In fact I said the opposite. I said it's nice to see him win hockey's ultimate prize (and quite possibly Conn Smythe) after years of being unfairly criticized. Did he need to be on a stacked team to win the Cup? Sure. So do Crosby and Malkin. So do Toews and Kane.

You said he needed to be on a third line to be successful, and I pointed to his time as a Leaf as proof that he doesn't.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Uh, no. I didn't cite winning a Cup as a standard of success. In fact I said the opposite. I said it's nice to see him win hockey's ultimate prize (and quite possibly Conn Smythe) after years of being unfairly criticized. Did he need to be on a stacked team to win the Cup? Sure. So do Crosby and Malkin. So do Toews and Kane.

You said he needed to be on a third line to be successful, and I pointed to his time as a Leaf as proof that he doesn't.

to win the Cup. i mean basically him winning the Cup does not prove he should have been on team USA. It's no middle finger to them. It proves that Pittsburgh was a good team this year.

And again he should have been on team USA, just using a Cup as a metric for anything sucks.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Kessel has shown that he his a great complementary player. Not a superstar, not someone you can build around, but a great 1B piece...like Patrick Marleau. Toronto was foolhardy trying to build their forwards around him.

Possibly wins CS... = Complementary piece ???

He's a stud. Always been a stud, and only idiots like Boston, USA Hockey and the media keep him from getting the respect he's always deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad