Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Jake has similar positions on players drafted by Tallon that I do. The only difference is he completely writes their future off. I will at least give them the benefit of the doubt to prove themselves over the next 3 or 4 years.

That still doesn't excuse Tallon's penchant to go with his gut on players drafted #10 or later right thru to the early 2nd round. IMO, there were much better choices than Tippett but I'm willing to see if he can progress to the NHL level in the next 3 or 4 years. Crouse is just laughable and it looks like Hawryluk may have again been set back with a recent upper body head shot. Mascherin has all the tools but his skating. As I and a few others have noted Tallon's selections inside the top 3 were mostly consensus and he has done fairly well on those in lieu of the fact that Guds never measured up. A chimp throwing darts could have done better than Luce and his scouts for 95% of the remaining players.

I still say he should be shown the door but that will depend on Viola. So far Viola hasn't been close on any major decisions that affect the future of the team, so I'm not holding my breath. :)

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tippett had a chance to extend the shootout but was denied. Steelheads are basically Hague (D), Tippett (RW) and both Mike (C) and Ryan (C) McLeod. They don't have the depth or talent they did last year.
A goal and an assist with 10 shots tonight for the ginger.

One thing I've noticed about Tippett is he's very aware of being on the ice too long and does line change when needed. He's not greedy with his ice time, sometimes he doesn't look like he's putting in 100% but he plays half the game every game. His coach is overpaying him since they're trying to secure the 8th seed.

When he gets chances or breakaways, he ramps it up and his speed is on display.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I've always respected Craig Button on ranking prospects. He's not perfect, but he did agree with me on Boeser as he had him ranked 8th just ahead of Lawson Crouse (who I thought was a terrible prospect) in his final 2015 rankings. He is not an Owen Tippett fan as he had him ranked #23 and I agree with that assessment. He now has Tippett ranked #43 on NHL affiliated overall prospect rankings and far behind Borgstrom #16 and Heponiemi #17. I also agree with that ranking. Tippett has a long way to go IMO and is as soft as butter. Not saying he won't do it but he will have his work cut out for him. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I've always respected Craig Button on ranking prospects. He's not perfect, but he did agree with me on Boeser as he had him ranked 8th just ahead of Lawson Crouse (who I thought was a terrible prospect) in his final 2015 rankings. He is not an Owen Tippett fan as he had him ranked #23 and I agree with that assessment. He now has Tippett ranked #43 on NHL affiliated overall prospect rankings and far behind Borgstrom #16 and Heponiemi #17. I also agree with that ranking. Tippett has a long way to go IMO and is as soft as butter. Not saying he won't do it but he will have his work cut out for him. :)
The Craig Button, that's basically NHL media's version of Stephen A. Smith?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I do like Tippett, but I do think there's always a sizeable risk in drafting for need over BPA. We def took tippett to adress a need.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Who was realistically better at the point? Valiardi looks great but he’s had injury concerns.
there were plentyof guys evenly ranked around there. vilardi, Suzuki, necas were all ranked around there, not surprising they were the next 3 to go. valimaki, brannstrom, liljegren on d. tolvanen dropped way too far. there were options. but I admit for myself at least tippet was one of my favorites in that spot. but I have worries about him right now.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I do like Tippett, but I do think there's always a sizeable risk in drafting for need over BPA. We def took tippett to adress a need.
The pick has Tallon's finger prints all over it. No not because he has NHL size or great character but because he is a "roll the dice" from Dale's gut. Dale is all about the latest NHL paradigm of speed, shot and skill set but Tippett will need to improve the rest of his game to be an NHL top 6 player. If he hasn't shown graduated improvement in each of the next four seasons, it will be another wasted pick by our GM guru. :)

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
@Jakeybonz better watch out
there's nothing to watch out for. his goal scoring rate is down from last year. his points are up, but nothing crazy and we drafted him to score goals or else why'd we take him over vilardi, necas, suzuki, all of whom were better overall picks and all of whom I preferred. tippett should be scoring at near a goal per game pace right now and he isn't. his defensive game doesn't seem to have improved much either. does this mean he's a bust? no. do I think he is? again technically no, because u have to have been worth the #10 spot to be a bust and he never was. if we drafted vilardi and he followed up with a non improvement of this sort I'd call that a bust. tippett is just kind of a never was and probably wont be.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
there were plentyof guys evenly ranked around there. vilardi, Suzuki, necas were all ranked around there, not surprising they were the next 3 to go. valimaki, brannstrom, liljegren on d. tolvanen dropped way too far. there were options. but I admit for myself at least tippet was one of my favorites in that spot. but I have worries about him right now.
Nečas and Tolvanen especially look good - Tolvanen with the potential of a fantastic goalscorer, Nečas of a 1C; both have recently been ranked as the top5 NHL-affiliated prospects by Pronman and Button. Lots of great prospects in the 2017 draft - not sure why some labeled it as weak.

Anyway I don't doubt that Tippett will be an NHL player; the question is just how good he will be. Fingers crossed.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I also totally agree with this ranking. the dude from the athletic had borg as #5. I like borg but he's shown he's around 15th which is really just more bad news for us. we badly need top 10 talent comin in. we suck and there's no help coming. and we'll also pick low this draft and be stuck in the middle of the road in 8th seed to non playoff/no draft pick purgatory. dude there's just such....nothingness. and u know the owners wont spend this offseason or they wouldve done it this last one. so when does our day come?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i mean as long as he produces then its all good. i just wanna see more drive in his game. maybe im spoiled with trocheck's compete level but when ive seen him (which granted, it hasnt been much) he seems like he could turn it on if he wanted to.

still, having said that his production has actually been solid, so thats good:

goals per game: 0.666
points per game: 1.38 (you can check my math if its wrong)

most of the top players have played a max of 57 games at this point in the season.

his goals per game average is almost identical to all the top guys like sokolov, robertson, frost, kyrou. with svechnikov leading by far and luchuk and katchouk being the next two best. at this pace he'd have about 38 goals. which would be tied for 5th, maybe 4th and thats including the other guys like svechnikov factoring in the same amount of games. he also got his shooting % back to over 11%.

on pace for about 79pt in 57 games. which would put him in the top-10 for points.

so top-5 in goals, top-10 in points is pretty solid.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I also totally agree with this ranking. the dude from the athletic had borg as #5. I like borg but he's shown he's around 15th which is really just more bad news for us. we badly need top 10 talent comin in. we suck and there's no help coming. and we'll also pick low this draft and be stuck in the middle of the road in 8th seed to non playoff/no draft pick purgatory. dude there's just such....nothingness. and u know the owners wont spend this offseason or they wouldve done it this last one. so when does our day come?

Their must be a large difference between top 10 talent and 15 especially at the prospect level. Right ? The number 8,9 and 10 guy must really have something special that number 15 does not.

Reactions: Pragmatic Panther

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Their must be a large difference between top 10 talent and 15 especially at the prospect level. Right ? The number 8,9 and 10 guy must really have something special that number 15 does not.
look, he didn't impress in the playoffs last yr. he didn't impress at the wjc-18. he didn't impress in dev. camp or on the panthers, he didn't even make the wjc-20 and and with 44 goals in 60 games as a 17 yr old in the ohl reg. season, ud expect around a goal per game if he was developing well as "the best goal scorer" of the draft. he isn't. and even if he was, qe need goals now. not in 3 yrs. he was a bad pick. dale tallon made a bad move. I think its his first.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What is your “worry” and how did that change from the draft.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
look, he didn't impress in the playoffs last yr. he didn't impress at the wjc-18. he didn't impress in dev. camp or on the panthers, he didn't even make the wjc-20 and and with 44 goals in 60 games as a 17 yr old in the ohl reg. season, ud expect around a goal per game if he was developing well as "the best goal scorer" of the draft. he isn't. and even if he was, qe need goals now. not in 3 yrs. he was a bad pick. dale tallon made a bad move. I think its his first.

What?

In the post I quoted you said

"I also totally agree with this ranking. the dude from the athletic had borg as #5. I like borg but he's shown he's around 15th which is really just more bad news for us. we badly need top 10 talent comin in"

You were speaking about Borgstrom and his ranking not sure why all of a sudden you are mentioning Tippett again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad