Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
For ages this fanbase complained about not drafting a flashy goal scorer and when we do, the narrative is that we shouldn't have.

:rolleyes:

Has been the #1 issue on this team for 22 out of 26 years.

We have always been blessed with good goaltending. Defense is debateable but is pointing up for us now as well, alot of that credit belongs to BB and Cap.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
For ages this fanbase complained about not drafting a flashy goal scorer and when we do, the narrative is that we shouldn't have.

:rolleyes:
hes not a flashy goal scorer. go look at his highlights. theyre not all that flashy. and his goal pace is actually down from last year. hes not gonna be what u think he is. he and mascherin should be traded for a real scorer with some term left.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
hes not a flashy goal scorer. go look at his highlights. theyre not all that flashy. and his goal pace is actually down from last year. hes not gonna be what u think he is. he and mascherin should be traded for a real scorer with some term left.
If it got us a guy who scored 25+ and is signed, I'd move him in a second. Too much reliance on prospects, not enough on proven talent. Need to find that balance. Plus we'd still have Borg and Hepo who I think will both be better than Tippet.

I do think Tippet could be good but how long will it take? And how good could he be. r

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Number 1 ranked goal scorer of his draft class, even during the limited minutes on the 4th line as a Panther he had moments where you'd go "man can this guy shoot the puck". Your standards must be pretty high if that's not flashy.

His goal pace was expected to go down, since he's focusing on improving his all-around game this year. That's the very reason why he wasn't sent back to juniors on day 1 and what he needs to improve to become an NHLer.

My prediction for next season is that you'll call Heponiemi a bust too, after he puts nowhere near the numbers in Europe (if he does go to Europe) that he did in juniors. You use the term so loosely that it has lost its meaning and just because you personally don't like the prospect, it doesn't make that prospect a bust.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Or we're just fans of a team that cannot draft impact players or develop potential impact players properly.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Tippet and Mascherin are different types of players than Heponiemi and Borgstrom.

Borgstrom and Heponiemi likely wind up as Top 9 play makers. I envision Borgstrom as a 2nd liner and Hepo as a 3rd liner. The are players you play against worse competition where they can drive play.

To play with those guys you need players that find open spots and score. Those are guys are Tippet and Mascherin. Not saying they are the same, but they have the ability to finish plays.

Building a team means putting a lines together where the players complement each other. I don't view any of these guys as "tradeable" because the likeliehood that you get player that will be better than they will be is low.

Trading Mascherin is not worth 1-2 years of having Rick Nash.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Tippet and Mascherin are different types of players than Heponiemi and Borgstrom.

Borgstrom and Heponiemi likely wind up as Top 9 play makers. I envision Borgstrom as a 2nd liner and Hepo as a 3rd liner. The are players you play against worse competition where they can drive play.

To play with those guys you need players that find open spots and score. Those are guys are Tippet and Mascherin. Not saying they are the same, but they have the ability to finish plays.

Building a team means putting a lines together where the players complement each other. I don't view any of these guys as "tradeable" because the likeliehood that you get player that will be better than they will be is low.

Trading Mascherin is not worth 1-2 years of having Rick Nash.
Borg is the real deal. I think he's got legit first line potential and will score a lot of goals. He will be able to make plays and finish on chances. Really don't see him as a top 9 playmaker.

Hepo will definitely be more of a playmaker but top 9 sells him short.

I agree re: complimenting but disagree we can't get someone better.

If Ottawa traded Hoffman for Tippet, the odds of Tippet outproducing him is simply less likely and Hoffman would immediately produce with our core. Whereas Tippet may need a year or two or three to get up to his potential or match Hoffman.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Re: Mascherin

The skill is there, but the skating (foot speed, explosiveness) is really concerning to me. Wouldn’t be opposed as him as chip to get a player.

Borg is a special talent, there is that extra gear and skill that takes him to another level. Even just the quality of his goals and creativity bodes well. Hepo is closer to Borg but I’m still not sure just how high his ceiling is. He needs better comp but I have high hopes for him.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Number 1 ranked goal scorer of his draft class, even during the limited minutes on the 4th line as a Panther he had moments where you'd go "man can this guy shoot the puck". Your standards must be pretty high if that's not flashy.

His goal pace was expected to go down, since he's focusing on improving his all-around game this year. That's the very reason why he wasn't sent back to juniors on day 1 and what he needs to improve to become an NHLer.

My prediction for next season is that you'll call Heponiemi a bust too, after he puts nowhere near the numbers in Europe (if he does go to Europe) that he did in juniors. You use the term so loosely that it has lost its meaning and just because you personally don't like the prospect, it doesn't make that prospect a bust.
what an astonishingly ridiculous response. im higher on heponiemi than anyone on this board or seemingly in the hockey world. i post updates on him constantly and have been having fun watching him destroy the whl all year. he will obviously not rip europe apart in the same way and you dont have to pretend im a hockey noob to make ur bizarre point.

next up on your barf-erific post we have tippett who is absolutely underwhelming at this point. i never had one of those "oh man this guy can shoot the puck" moments when he played those 7 terrible games because he just shot from anywhere the second he got a hold of it no matter how bad the angle. he showed zero hockey IQ and just sort of whatever speed with whatever moves. i hoped hed take major steps fwd in juniors but hes regressed goal scoring-wise which is all we drafted him for. but no its his defense thats getting honed now is it? i guess that explains the drop from +24 to zero. yea seems like a real datsyuk being formed before our eyes in mississauga. "oh but jake, the steelheads are so much worse this year and +/- is a flawed stat" blah freakin blah. hes not good. he wasnt good. and he doesnt seem like hes gonna be good. he reminds me more of jimmy hayes than phil kessel. sorry ur wrong about tippett, but dont take it out on me by straw manning me about hepo. hes a legit talent. tippett isnt and was a ridiculous pick over valardi/suzuki. dales not.....a smart man. keep better company when arguing me. or better yet, dont argue me if being right matters at all to u.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
what an astonishingly ridiculous response. im higher on heponiemi than anyone on this board or seemingly in the hockey world. i post updates on him constantly and have been having fun watching him destroy the whl all year. he will obviously not rip europe apart in the same way and you dont have to pretend im a hockey noob to make ur bizarre point.

next up on your barf-erific post we have tippett who is absolutely underwhelming at this point. i never had one of those "oh man this guy can shoot the puck" moments when he played those 7 terrible games because he just shot from anywhere the second he got a hold of it no matter how bad the angle. he showed zero hockey IQ and just sort of whatever speed with whatever moves. i hoped hed take major steps fwd in juniors but hes regressed goal scoring-wise which is all we drafted him for. but no its his defense thats getting honed now is it? i guess that explains the drop from +24 to zero. yea seems like a real datsyuk being formed before our eyes in mississauga. "oh but jake, the steelheads are so much worse this year and +/- is a flawed stat" blah freakin blah. hes not good. he wasnt good. and he doesnt seem like hes gonna be good. he reminds me more of jimmy hayes than phil kessel. sorry ur wrong about tippett, but dont take it out on me by straw manning me about hepo. hes a legit talent. tippett isnt and was a ridiculous pick over valardi/suzuki. dales not.....a smart man. keep better company when arguing me. or better yet, dont argue me if being right matters at all to u.
Awful post.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Tracking prospects by stat watching and basing their NHL potential on that, isn't all that impressive. Anyone can do that (especially now that all the highlights and .gifs are available online), but I think most people realise that it's not contributing to discussion around here much.

Like I said, you're putting too much stock into emotion. Shouting about and personally liking prospect A over prospect B, doesn't make prospect A a sure thing and turn prospect B into a bust. You do know that you can dislike a player/prospect on a personal level, but still acknowledge the skills/potential that player has?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Tracking prospects by stat watching and basing their NHL potential on that, isn't all that impressive. Anyone can do that (especially now that all the highlights and .gifs are available online), but I think most people realise that it's not contributing to discussion around here much.

Like I said, you're putting too much stock into emotion. Shouting about and personally liking prospect A over prospect B, doesn't make prospect A a sure thing and turn prospect B into a bust. You do know that you can dislike a player/prospect on a personal level, but still acknowledge the skills/potential that player has?
But he didn’t see any Tippett skills. He must’ve watched all the games more closely than us because I thought I saw skill but everyone else is clueless.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Imagine watching an 18 year old play in his first 7 NHL games, stat-watching him in his d+1 season, and proceeding to form an opinion on how the rest of his career will go.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018

why would I dislike owen tippett on a personal level? he didn't run over my dog and I don't have him over for bbq's. I don't like his skill/potential obviously. not sure if u were serious there but I answered it anyway :) and stats are extremely important. they tell a story in numbers for those with lives who can't watch every single nhl + whl + ohl game. but regardless of them, I've seen a lot of tippett and I'm not impressed. sorry.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
why would I dislike owen tippett on a personal level? he didn't run over my dog and I don't have him over for bbq's. I don't like his skill/potential obviously. not sure if u were serious there but I answered it anyway :) and stats are extremely important. they tell a story in numbers for those with lives who can't watch every single nhl + whl + ohl game. but regardless of them, I've seen a lot of tippett and I'm not impressed. sorry.
I don't know, you tell me? Because that's what it looks like anyway, your reasoning based on hockey for Tippett being a bust is vague and mostly done by looking at stats & the small NHL teaser he got (which you managed to blow out of proportion too).

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that you've watched "a lot" of his games.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know, you tell me? Because that's what it looks like anyway, your reasoning based on hockey for Tippett being a bust is vague and mostly done by looking at stats & the small NHL teaser he got (which you managed to blow out of proportion too).

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that you've watched "a lot" of his games.
u can believe whatever u want. how bout this? u like him based on just as little sample size as I dislike him. but no uve seen the entire steelhead season. what am I saying. ur a mississauga fanatic and owen tippett super fan #1.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I don't know Soup. I'd take Tallons successors' opinion with high praise. He can clearly see things us mere mortals cannot. :cool:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Imagine watching an 18 year old play in his first 7 NHL games, stat-watching him in his d+1 season, and proceeding to form an opinion on how the rest of his career will go.
imagine that's what u and everyone else does every day to every other prospect. next prospect update of urs I expect no stats, just a grit report. numbers? eww. a visual indication of how players are doing for those who can't watch every single nhl + chl game? who needs that besides everyone? and I'd also like a disclaimer that ur in no way insinuating that any of those players u stat watch will have great careers.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
imagine that's what u and everyone else does every day to every other prospect. next prospect update of urs I expect no stats, just a grit report. numbers? eww. a visual indication of how players are doing for those who can't watch every single nhl + chl game? who needs that besides everyone? and I'd also like a disclaimer that ur in no way insinuating that any of those players u stat watch will have great careers.

Not gonna waste my time giving a full reply to this lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad