Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

peterbiz09

Jun 24, 2012
Miami, FL
I for one would be happy if he could contribute 25+ goals. 40 goals is an unrealistic expectation. Cup aspirations are nice but could we just focus on maybe making the playoffs consistently?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
So based upon 6 of 7 games played as pro in the NHL?

Because you certainly dont watch the kid in juniors.
its so nice of u to tell me what i do. dont u ever get embarrassed of being wrong? saw his training camp and nhl games, ive seen some full games of his ohl season this year, and all the highlights. if u think a normal person in miami should have seen more of tippett than this to be able to comment in this thread, it will be half of one person talking to the other half. sorry hes not my best friend and we didnt do 7 minutes in heaven and have slumber parties. ive seen of him the necessary amount to know hes not gonna be a 40 goal scorer and most likely not even 30 as i dont think he'll stick around in the top 6 of an nhl team and so he wont get the ice time to make that possible. i dont know why this threatens u so much. he was the wrong pick. dale tallon doesnt make good decisions. this should be elementary for u at this point. do i need to go become a psychotic hallifax fan to say i like zadina? no. theres plenty on him out there for me to like what i see. tippett has decreased his goal production despite being that all important year older. thats what we picked him for. he didnt make canadas junior team. thats a bummer for a top 10 pick who was almost 19. he looked like he had no idea what he was doing in the nhl. future 35ish goal scorers generally look like they know how to score even that early. he may end up being a 20 goal type of guy. yay. thats not what we need. i want the panthers to win with this core. tippett doesnt look like hes gonna be the guy to help that happen. its really not that complicated. hes not ur son. dont take it personal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
its so nice of u to tell me what i do. dont u ever get embarrassed of being wrong? saw his training camp and nhl games, ive seen some full games of his ohl season this year, and all the highlights. if u think a normal person in miami should have seen more of tippett than this to be able to comment in this thread, it will be half of one person talking to the other half. sorry hes not my best friend and we didnt do 7 minutes in heaven and have slumber parties. ive seen of him the necessary amount to know hes not gonna be a 40 goal scorer and most likely not even 30 as i dont think he'll stick around in the top 6 of an nhl team and so he wont get the ice time to make that possible. i dont know why this threatens u so much. he was the wrong pick. dale tallon doesnt make good decisions. this should be elementary for u at this point. do i need to go become a psychotic hallifax fan to say i like zadina? no. theres plenty on him out there for me to like what i see. tippett has decreased his goal production despite being that all important year older. thats what we picked him for. he didnt make canadas junior team. thats a bummer for a top 10 pick who was almost 19. he looked like he had no idea what he was doing in the nhl. future 35ish goal scorers generally look like they know how to score even that early. he may end up being a 20 goal type of guy. yay. thats not what we need. i want the panthers to win with this core. tippett doesnt look like hes gonna be the guy to help that happen. its really not that complicated. hes not ur son. dont take it personal.
Why do you act like you watch him. I’m willing to bet you haven’t seen one game including his 7 with the panthers.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
U S E P A R A G R A P H S

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Another goal and helper.
Currently on a 6 game goal streak, 7 game point streak.

Has 7 goals and 6 assists in those 7 games. 30 goals, 63 points in 43 games now.
should have had 40 goals by now if he was actually improving on last year. points are nice, but we passed up on better players cause "he can score goals".

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He is literally the WHOLE Steelheads offense.

Excited to see him in the AHL next season.

Wouldn't he have to wait till 2019 to be eligible for the AHL? He'll be 19 when the 18-19 season rolls around

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Wouldn't he have to wait till 2019 to be eligible for the AHL? He'll be 19 when the 18-19 season rolls around
Hmmm, yup you are correct. I also dont think he would stay with the Steelheads if he is back next season.

Would be nice to see him with some skilled teammates.

Or maybe Dale thinks he is a Huberdeau situation.

Anyone have an update on his current size?

Reactions: ShootIt

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Correct he is 19 for north american player count the rule they must be 21 to play in the AHL. So he must play NHl, one more junior year, or play 1 Season in europe.

elite prospect says 6"2 203 lbs

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Hmmm, yup you are correct. I also dont think he would stay with the Steelheads if he is back next season.

Would be nice to see him with some skilled teammates.

Or maybe Dale thinks he is a Huberdeau situation.

Anyone have an update on his current size?

He is a big boy, size is not the problem

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
His PPG is higher than last year and is GPG is closing in on where it was last year, I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with his season thus far. Is anyone seriously going to complain and argue that he should gave 5 more goals by now? Big deal.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
should have had 40 goals by now if he was actually improving on last year. points are nice, but we passed up on better players cause "he can score goals".

Him and Svechnikov have played a lot less games then the top goal scorers. Run the numbers based on a full year and I'm pretty sure he'd be up around his goal total from last year which is an improvement in the sense, his team this year is brutal.
Last year they were a top 5 team and this year they're likely the 7th/8th seed on their conference. Call it an excuse but anyone knows you will tend to have elevated totals on a better team.

He does float, not super strong defensively, he's not overly physical and does make some mistakes. We needed a pure shooter on the RW, someone who is selfish and I know he shot from everywhere in his NHL stint bit he will get smarter and learn the pro game. I think he will benefit from better linemates with Springfield who will provide Mascherin, Ang and possibly Hepo.

If you watch their breakouts or PP, he is heavily relied upon to get the puck out of their zone/neutral zone or he patrols the right point and then either takes a hard heavy slap shot or toe drags and drives to the net hard with his snap shot.

His patented move of toe dragging and sniping does remind me of Kessel and it's clear his wrist/slap shot is NHL level. In my view, he would need a year in the AHL which is fine since we can bump Bjugstad back down to 3rd line and when the ginger is ready in 2019-2020, Bjugstad will become expendable.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Points are pretty meaningless after draft year unless you're doing something exceptional like Hepo.

We won't know what we have in Tippett until he turns pro. If he's working on other parts of his game, which I hope does, I couldn't care less about how many goals he has. If there's one thing he can do it's shoot the puck. Whether he is just a one trick pony is the question.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
On which comparable players are you basing your assertion that he needs to be a (pretty much) a goal per game to show he on the right track?

Dude.

Everyone knows that a player should have at least 40 goals in 30 games in his draft+1 season after playing 7 NHL games that same season in order to become a top-6 NHL winger.

It's common knowledge.

:laugh:

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Dude.

Everyone knows that a player should have at least 40 goals in 30 games in his draft+1 season after playing 7 NHL games that same season in order to become a top-6 NHL winger.

It's common knowledge.

:laugh:
we werent going for a top 6 nhl winger. we were going for a 35ish goal scorer. thats a top 3 winger. thats why we drafted him before better players. goals are his purpose for existing. much like mascherins D+1, he has not increased his goal output. hes in fact decreased it. and no ones biting their nails in anticipation of mascherin. if u dont think regressing at the one thing u were picked for is not the best sign in the world, then u must not really care if we ever get a goal scorer. weve needed one forever. hes not it. ur nonsensical replies bore me.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
we werent going for a top 6 nhl winger. we were going for a 35ish goal scorer. thats a top 3 winger. thats why we drafted him before better players. goals are his purpose for existing. much like mascherins D+1, he has not increased his goal output. hes in fact decreased it. and no ones biting their nails in anticipation of mascherin. if u dont think regressing at the one thing u were picked for is not the best sign in the world, then u must not really care if we ever get a goal scorer. weve needed one forever. hes not it. ur nonsensical replies bore me.
They specifically told him to work on his overall 200 foot game, he has in every area improved without losing the goal scoring. If anything he is more likely to work out now.

Reactions: jrockett1096

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
They specifically told him to work on his overall 200 foot game, he has in every area improved without losing the goal scoring. If anything he is more likely to work out now.
I only watch highlights so I don’t claim to be an expert but IMO he still needs a lot of work on that. Looks very passive on he PK and defending. No denying he has offensive talent though. Also another great thing g is we have Barkov and everyone gets to play against him in practice which makes those players better defensively as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad