Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Barzal is miles ahead as a hockey player he was originally a top 5 prospect for his draft. Fell because of injury its no surprise he is scoring at the rate he is.
No surprise? He has more goals this year in the NHL than last year in the WHL in same amount of games while posting PPG. I don't think the Islanders were expecting that.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm 40/60 on Tippett earnng a top six spot on a consistent basis in the next 3 yrs. I think he will bounce back and forth between the AHL before he either makes it or fades away. :)

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
By the way Gabriel Vilardi was a top 5 pick too in the 2017 and he fell down in the draft but Dale was not going to react because he had got already obsessed with Tippett and had decided to pick him no matter what. The Los Angeles Kings, one of the three teams to win the Stanley Cup in the past 9 season were quick and lucky to get him at 11th, and it could prove out to be similar steal to Barzal in 2015.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm 40/60 on Tippett earnng a top six spot on a consistent basis in the next 3 yrs. I think he will bounce back and forth between the AHL before he either makes it or fades away. :)

I'd reckon that Tippett will share the same fate that of Kessel of being lazy bum but his business is to lurk in the background of the action and wait his moment to turn on the jets. Actually a guy like that is healthier for the playoffs when he's stayed away from the confrontational part of the game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
By the way Gabriel Vilardi was a top 5 pick too in the 2017 and he fell down in the draft but Dale was not going to react because he had got already obsessed with Tippett and had decided to pick him no matter what. The Los Angeles Kings, one of the three teams to win the Stanley Cup in the past 9 season were quick and lucky to get him at 11th, and it could prove out to be similar steal to Barzal in 2015.
Seems to have a problem with durability. I didn't follow Vilardi that much but I know Dale had input from Bobby Boo since he owns the Spitfires. He's been out most of this season with a strained back, only coming back in the last few weeks. He was traded to the Frontenacs this season and in only 8 games in January 2018, he has put up 14 pts.

He reminds me of a bigger version of John Tavares from what little I've seen. If he can be 3/4 that good, he will be a steal and have a much better career than Tippett. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'd reckon that Tippett will share the same fate that of Kessel of being lazy bum but his business is to lurk in the background of the action and wait his moment to turn on the jets. Actually a guy like that is healthier for the playoffs when he's stayed away from the confrontational part of the game.
Kind of reminds me of Dadanov without the hustle but with a superior shot. Both can handle the puck and create. Dads probably has a little higher hockey IQ. I just get the feeling his ego is fragile and when things are not going well and Mr. Boo is riding him, his confidence could go south. He will need to toughen up mentally to succeed. :)

ps: Kessel has a mean streak and is tough mentally (have to be in Toronto). For the Pillsbury doughboy, Kessel can skate but tires easily (although this year he seems to be in the best shape of his career).

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He will need to toughen up mentally to succeed. :)

I'm not receiving any crybaby image.

Even though some might argue that Vilardi is the better of those two but it really doesn't matter when you look at the depth chart of this team. And I'd reckon that the GMs are getting increasingly reluctant to make trades even though depth charts would indicate otherwise: you're trading a known commodity to an unknown one.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
No surprise? He has more goals this year in the NHL than last year in the WHL in same amount of games while posting PPG. I don't think the Islanders were expecting that.

Id say he is scoring higher than what he is capable of but not by much. He has immense talent

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm not receiving any crybaby image.

Even though some might argue that Vilardi is the better of those two but it really doesn't matter when you look at the depth chart of this team. And I'd reckon that the GMs are getting increasingly reluctant to make trades even though depth charts would indicate otherwise: you're trading a known commodity to an unknown one.
You could be right as I'm going by the fact his Mom pulled him from a midget hockey program cuz he was being bullied. I've seen him get knocked on his butt with hard checks and he doesn't seem like the type to get mad. This was also true of Barkov (until recently where he is being more aggressive) and I just think if he makes it in the NHL on a permanent basis it will take a few years. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You could be right as I'm going by the fact his Mom pulled him from a midget hockey program cuz he was being bullied. I've seen him get knocked on his butt with hard checks and he doesn't seem like the type to get mad. This was also true of Barkov (until recently where he is being more aggressive) and I just think if he makes it in the NHL on a permanent basis it will take a few years. :)

If this is the mean streak of Kessel which is the comparable then I'm not impressed :) Anyhoo, I think it's more dependent on how much this team needs firepower from the wingers and that could expedite his enrollment as a regular roster player. Ofc, that probably wouldn't necessarily be the best possible approach but Dalé doesn't possess common sense.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

Got to admit Im not sure what to think of Tippett he has a lot of NHL qualities his shot, speed and strength is top notch. Not sure if he can think the game or be more than a one dimensional player.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Too bad he can’t skate. Not even a close comparison to Barzal lmao.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

If this is the mean streak of Kessel which is the comparable then I'm not impressed :) Anyhoo, I think it's more dependent on how much this team needs firepower from the wingers and that could expedite his enrollment as a regular roster player. Ofc, that probably wouldn't necessarily be the best possible approach but Dalé doesn't possess common sense.
LOL. Kessel just got sick of listening to Malkin.

This is more of what I had in mind. I doubt you'll ever see Tippett come even close to losing it like that and looking to end someone's career. Kessel is not a very stable individual when he gets mad. Since that happened it sent a message to the rest of the cheap shot artists to stay away from him or you could find the blade of a stick parting your hair. :)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Got to admit Im not sure what to think of Tippett he has a lot of NHL qualities his shot, speed and strength is top notch. Not sure if he can think the game or be more than a one dimensional player.
Where we are it doesn’t matter we need his dimension.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
At 18 he did okay in the few games he played but I did notice his intensity and compete were not there when he didn't have the puck. Teaching him to pressure the puck carrier for turnovers and win the one on one battles in both ends will be his biggest challenge. Still having trouble seeing him with 1st line or Tro. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i mean look at sam bennett, he was a top-3 pick and i really liked him that year. he had the tools but just cant put it together. tippett's got a shot, so does mccann but hes not setting the world on fire. same with speed. you need more than that.

i mean i was a fan of tippett's and was happy with the pick, i also really liked necas, forgot which one i preferred at the time. looks like carolina is probably going to benefit more than us with necas.

mascherin i worry with his skating, hepo i worry with his size, tippett i worry with his compete and getting involved in the play. all great prosepcts but outside of borgstrom im not overly attached to any of them if theres a viable impact piece that can be added now.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
tippett's got a shot, so does mccann but hes not setting the world on fire. same with speed. you need more than that.

McCann's development got effed up Vancouver, he shouldn't have been put into their lineup only on year after drafting him. I think he can be a reliable 3rd line center, potting 20 goals per year. I don't think it's realistic to expect that each prospect will immediately turn into some superstar or else he's a bust. Drafting has to be based on future role on this team as well, can't draft too much of the same stuff. In my opinion there's too many playmakers (imo puck-mover/playmaker-role is more a way to dodge the fact a player doesn't produce neither offensively or defensively). Tippett is a the opposite of a playmaker: focused on scoring goals instead of fondling the puck. Cycle play and moving the puck is all nice 'n dandy but if you can't translate that activity to the score sheet, it really doesn't matter. At the moment, even if the Panthers get sustained pressure into the o-zone it serves no purpose when you have no skill to convert the possession into goals. Tippett will be a polarizing figure: is not involved in the puck fondling activity and doesn't defend in a Barkov-like fashion but he will or at least should score goals because that's the reason why he was drafted and everyone knows that.

I can already imagine the amount of complaining if and when he's a regular in the fold. "He's a nightmare, doesn't know the defensive fundamentals... " :D

Reactions: Chaos2k7

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
i mean look at sam bennett, he was a top-3 pick and i really liked him that year. he had the tools but just cant put it together. tippett's got a shot, so does mccann but hes not setting the world on fire. same with speed. you need more than that.

i mean i was a fan of tippett's and was happy with the pick, i also really liked necas, forgot which one i preferred at the time. looks like carolina is probably going to benefit more than us with necas.

mascherin i worry with his skating, hepo i worry with his size, tippett i worry with his compete and getting involved in the play. all great prosepcts but outside of borgstrom im not overly attached to any of them if theres a viable impact piece that can be added now.
So you can tell Carolina will benefit more from Necas when he has one game played in the NHL? Wow tell me more. Yeah let’s give all our best prospects away. This isn’t Scott Luce anymore. These kids have talent. I’ll roll the dice on them ESPECIALLY HEPO, TIPPETT AND BORG.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So you can tell Carolina will benefit more from Necas when he has one game played in the NHL? Wow tell me more. Yeah let’s give all our best prospects away. This isn’t Scott Luce anymore. These kids have talent. I’ll roll the dice on them ESPECIALLY HEPO, TIPPETT AND BORG.
Necas is a very nice prospect (he was outstanding at the WJC). I wouldn't give up our kids either, though - and if the internal cap is true, then we need them even more.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
just my opinion dude. peope can disagree and have a civil conversation without being condescending. 1.) yes, necas looked like more of an all-around package player when drafted and hes continuing to shine. if i had to pick between the two id pick him. just my opinion. doesnt matter if they havent played in the nhl, people compare prospects all the time. 2.) a trade is not giving anything away. actually its the opposite. marchessault was given away. a trade you receive something in return. the whole point of being open to trading them is to receive someone who IS in the nhl and IS developed.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
just my opinion dude. peope can disagree and have a civil conversation without being condescending. 1.) yes, necas looked like more of an all-around package player when drafted and hes continuing to shine. if i had to pick between the two id pick him. just my opinion. doesnt matter if they havent played in the nhl, people compare prospects all the time. 2.) a trade is not giving anything away. actually its the opposite. marchessault was given away. a trade you receive something in return. the whole point of being open to trading them is to receive someone who IS in the nhl and IS developed.
Of course Necas is more all around. Tippett is more of a gamebreaker. Albeit more risky. You’re acting like tippett has stalled his development.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
and vilardi has 31 points in 15 games this year on the frontenacs. but dale wanted tippett. didnt matter if hischier or patrick fell to 10, dale wanted tippett. and dale wanted crouse. and dale wanted gudbransen, bjugstad, howden. Oh Dale. How youve turned us into a dynasty.

P.S. id also include dale wanted ekblad, but most wouldve taken him #1. but hes a disaster partly just because dale took him. i truly believe that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
and vilardi has 31 points in 15 games this year on the frontenacs. but dale wanted tippett. didnt matter if hischier or patrick fell to 10, dale wanted tippett. and dale wanted crouse. and dale wanted gudbransen, bjugstad, howden. Oh Dale. How youve turned us into a dynasty.

P.S. id also include dale wanted ekblad, but most wouldve taken him #1. but hes a disaster partly just because dale took him. i truly believe that.
For ages this fanbase complained about not drafting a flashy goal scorer and when we do, the narrative is that we shouldn't have.

:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad