Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I know you’re not necessarily an Attack fan and new to the organization, but they’ve operated this way for 20 years, when have they struggled to attract talent? Them and London seem to be the o key teams that constantly are competitive.

You can argue the vision from ownership, that’s your prerogative, but they’ve never struggled to attract prospects in that time line, so why would that now change?
By competitive you mean mid pack as far as OS goes? Yes you usually "compete" but haven't been a threat to win a division in a number of years, or go a few rounds. I don't think I would put very many teams, let alone OS in Londons' category. The previous poster commented on Letourneau and Prudhomme not reporting and Addy wanted out? As long as the fan base is happy with the resultsw, that will certainly satisfy the people paying the bills

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Rumour had it Addy may of come here knowing hed be dealt at the deadline so did he ask to be traded or was it potentially all part of the greater plan.. I feel like it was worked up well before the deadline that he may be dealt but that was also in hopes the team would of been in a higher spot only needing tinker instead of being near the bottom half of the conference.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Rumour had it Addy may of come here knowing hed be dealt at the deadline so did he ask to be traded or was it potentially all part of the greater plan.. I feel like it was worked up well before the deadline that he may be dealt but that was also in hopes the team would of been in a higher spot only needing tinker instead of being near the bottom half of the conference.
I would say that was definitely not the case. No agent would let their 1st rounder go somewhere as part of the plan.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
By competitive you mean mid pack as far as OS goes? Yes you usually "compete" but haven't been a threat to win a division in a number of years, or go a few rounds. I don't think I would put very many teams, let alone OS in Londons' category. The previous poster commented on Letourneau and Prudhomme not reporting and Addy wanted out? As long as the fan base is happy with the resultsw, that will certainly satisfy the people paying the bills
But you’re missing the point. You’re suggesting that they will have a hard time recruiting. They’ve done this for 17 years and never really struggle with signing players or recruiting. Why would that change all of a sudden in year 18? They’ve had the same business model for all that time, they get higher end NHL players generally most years in the draft. Why all of a sudden does this now change? If you followed the Attack 5 years ago, people not that familiar with the organization were saying the same thing. But here we are.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
The way ownership runs THEIR team, our "small" ugly barn, small market....on and on...always baffles me why fans of other teams let it get to them so much that they need to come on here and voice their opinions about things they don't get and never will....time to block some people I guess.....rant over

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
The way ownership runs THEIR team, our "small" ugly barn, small market....on and on...always baffles me why fans of other teams let it get to them so much that they need to come on here and voice their opinions about things they don't get and never will....time to block some people I guess.....rant over
That's unfortunate when that happens-- as it did on another thread recently. But if you read past the ignorant comment, you'll see that most posters ended up praising OS, saying they had good experiences at the Bayshore, especially after Millpond cleared the air. I even looked up real estate in the OS area! lol! You got more love than hate from London fans!

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I don't really understand the flack the Bayshore gets. It's not some rundown relic lol. The rink keeps getting investments made to modernize or improve certain aspects, some of which are certainly far from cheap. The recent upgrades have made a noticeable difference in the ice quality. The scoreboard is pretty new. The concessions all have debit/credit. I think the boards etc are due for replacement as well as other refrigeration/ice equipment. If I'm not mistaken, the north parking lot is going to be paved. The zamboni is new. That's a whole lot of money going into the facility.

I've only been in the Soo and Kitchener barns outside of the Bayshore so maybe not the best judge of things but I think the Bayshore is a great barn to watch high level OHL hockey in. It's a massive step up from Fort Williams Gardens in Thunder Bay that I used to play in lol.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If there does happen to be talk about a new rink in Owen Sound it will have to do with population growth rather than age of the facility in my opinion. There's over 3,000 living units worth of housing projects approved for construction through city hall. Depending on how quickly those projects move forward our 22,000 population could jump fairly quickly. With that growth may come increased demand for recreation such as OHL hockey games. I don't suspect there was building expansion factored into the design of the Bayshore when it was built but if they can't increase capacity in the existing structure then I could see a scenario where they explore a new facility. I would think anything of that nature would be ten years down the road at least anyways.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
FWIW a lot of what is mentioned here is why I really want to take in a game at the Bayshore. I think ( from only TV) it offers a unique experience that should be celebrated. I love to spend time on the Bruce Peninsula in the summer the area is lovely. The only thing that has stopped me really is the unpredictable winter travel. Turns out last weekend would have been a great opportunity. I hope to get up for an October game sometime and take down two things at once bid summer one last farewell on the Bruce and experience a game at the Bayshore

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
People keep saying Attack are never a threat. I beg to differ in 17/18 when the Habs totally screwed up McNivens career by not sending him back as an O/A we were a McNiven away from a conf final berth. We took the Soo to the limit with a 16 yr old Guzda who got thrown into the fire. FFW to 20/21 and look at the potenial roster the Attack would have iced I will argue with anyone that team would have been a threat had the season been played. Now here we are in 23/24 and teams are not really wanting to meet Attack in 1st rd because if they face the team we've seen of late it could mean trouble. Someone explain how that cycle is different from the standard Jr Hockey cycle and it's been done with NO real down years. Would I love to see us bank a bunch of picks and go all in 1 yr and build a super team HELL YEAH. I realize thats not the way we operate and am ok with that we still witness lots of amazing entertaining hockey.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not sure why people are so concerned about the Owen Sound rink to begin with. Fans pay the freight of the franchise by filling the seats in the rink. They get what they pay for which is to watch great OHL hockey. No one person owns any part of any arena even though some think they do. . Not many small markets can support a team as well as they do in Owen Sound. Good on them for supporting the team like they do. Some franchises are in established bigger venues that attract not only hockey but also concerts and other attractions because they have the capacity. Because we are in the area most of the of the summer and fall we dropped into a couple of exhibition games. We watched the Rangers play in winter a couple of times also. Always a great experience. Owen Sound is fine.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I've been to Owen Sound a number of times for games. Met lots of great people there. Love that you can stagger across the street to your hotel room after the game.
I prefer going there over Kitchener or London's arenas. Much better atmosphere and really a much better fanbase. Didn't work this year but I'll be heading up for more games in the future.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
People keep saying Attack are never a threat. I beg to differ in 17/18 when the Habs totally screwed up McNivens career by not sending him back as an O/A we were a McNiven away from a conf final berth. We took the Soo to the limit with a 16 yr old Guzda who got thrown into the fire. FFW to 20/21 and look at the potenial roster the Attack would have iced I will argue with anyone that team would have been a threat had the season been played. Now here we are in 23/24 and teams are not really wanting to meet Attack in 1st rd because if they face the team we've seen of late it could mean trouble. Someone explain how that cycle is different from the standard Jr Hockey cycle and it's been done with NO real down years. Would I love to see us bank a bunch of picks and go all in 1 yr and build a super team HELL YEAH. I realize thats not the way we operate and am ok with that we still witness lots of amazing entertaining hockey.
That 17/18 team had all the makings of a serious contender. McNiven not coming back was a huge blow. Bowman was probably an adequate replacement but quit early and left them high and dry, forcing Guzda into the starters job that he wasn't ready for. They just couldn't get the goaltending figured out that season. I also don't think Todd Gill was the right fit as coach. That team was really solid though and would have had a serious shot with a decent goalie. The 16/17 team was really close as well, bowing out to Erie in 6 games in the conference final.

The organization has had success being a draft and develop team rather than swinging for the fences on trades type team. Their best players are usually home grown and supplemented with trade. The organization has won the big dance showing that in the right scenario it can be successful following that strategy. It's hard to really gripe too much with a championship banner hanging in the rafters.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I guess to me it is like running a business and being happy with 75%. I'm glad that the owners have a customer base that accepts that

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Ok, another big win last night. Our owner is loaded so this is his little toy. Another way to run a team that I don't agree with. Although I do feel that if our GM comes to him with a plan he is usually on board with a push to go in to the racew. Unlike yours i guess. One minor trade to trade away a future player in ADdy and get a Dman who has been not great for you and Mccue who has done pretty well so far. But you have to admit you guys neither sold nor bought to help the future

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I guess to me it is like running a business and being happy with 75%. I'm glad that the owners have a customer base that accepts that
ktown, we have been to games in Kingston in the past and all we heard there was bitching about the owner and the team from Kingston fans during the game. You know what they say about people in glass houses?

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
ktown, we have been to games in Kingston in the past and all we heard there was bitching about the owner and the team from Kingston fans during the game. You know what they say about people in glass houses?
No, what do they say? I think successful people, whether it is in business or life generally are targets for criticism. If we never want to get critiqued, let's make sure we don't own a sports team I guess. And like in life, business owners have the choice to do what they want to do, and what they feel works for them. Heck, I think I even hear the Hunters' get flack for their business model

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The motivation is less about the Attack and more that a player that he has an emotional attachment too is not getting the ice time that known feels ge deserves. He was not taking shots when that player was higher in the lineup. The player also had struggles in Kingston with ice time and he also took shots at them as well. The player is incredibly good at what he does, but otherwise has limitations. By all accounts great kid who probably would be embarrassed by the attention brought on here.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
No, what do they say? I think successful people, whether it is in business or life generally are targets for criticism. If we never want to get critiqued, let's make sure we don't own a sports team I guess. And like in life, business owners have the choice to do what they want to do, and what they feel works for them. Heck, I think I even hear the Hunters' get flack for their business model
And they've been doing it for this long and remain successful financially. And you are right, people have choices, to this point over 17 years of the current era, the fans seem to come to the rink more then not, so that in itself is a comment.

You have every right to disagree and criticize, as do others who can call you out to lunch. You don’t like it, but it seems that most long time actual paying fans do, otherwise the team wouldn’t be here anymore.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I would love to see ownership take bigger swings at the buy years and the sell years but I love the OS area and the Bayshore. Great place to watch OHL hockey.

Reactions: OSattackfan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
My point that went over your head is why would a fan of another team go on their site and criticize the team the others cheer for in the first place. Personally I have no idea of who owns the Attack or most other teams in the league. The owners sure as hell don't know most of the fans and could care less about a hockey forum. Most criticisms on forums are really just a jab at other fans, Who else is reading these post? Your comment about the Hunters is as far fetched as they come on these boards.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
My point that went over your head is why would a fan of another team go on their site and criticize the team the others cheer for in the first place. Personally I have no idea of who owns the Attack or most other teams in the league. The owners sure as hell don't know most of the fans and could care less about a hockey forum. Most criticisms on forums are really just a jab at other fans, Who else is reading these post? Your comment about the Hunters is as far fetched as they come on these boards.
It's somewhat of an open secret on the OS board and the Kingston board that he's less a fan of either team rather than a fan of one specific player that was on Kingston, but was then traded to OS.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Hope the Sarnia kid is going to be ok. Camera didn't catch it and they didn't replay it. Maybe caught an edge and knee possibly. Never like to see that. Good luck to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad