Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
My point that went over your head is why would a fan of another team go on their site and criticize the team the others cheer for in the first place. Personally I have no idea of who owns the Attack or most other teams in the league. The owners sure as hell don't know most of the fans and could care less about a hockey forum. Most criticisms on forums are really just a jab at other fans, Who else is reading these post? Your comment about the Hunters is as far fetched as they come on these boards.
Here in O.S many fans know the owners well. 3 of the 4 remaining The MacDermid brothers and Dr Bob sit in the seats with fans and are very approachable to chat with. Fay Harshman who at one time owned every Timmies in the city like to be out of the limelight she got involved at the start just to help keep the team here. I don't know if there are very many CHL cities where fans can chat with the owners like here.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Here in O.S many fans know the owners well. 3 of the 4 remaining The MacDermid brothers and Dr Bob sit in the seats with fans and are very approachable to chat with. Fay Harshman who at one time owned every Timmies in the city like to be out of the limelight she got involved at the start just to help keep the team here. I don't know if there are very many CHL cities where fans can chat with the owners like here.
That's great! We always enjoyed the games we attended. Some were exhibition the Attack played other teams besides the Rangers. The Attack fans are lucky to have been able to watch some amazing hockey and see some future stars come out of the franchise. It's a privilege to be able to watch this level of junior hockey. Best in the world IMO.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hats off to George for that one. He was outstanding. I'm sure he didn't love the fourth goal against but he was the only reason the score was close with a number of highlight reel saves. The team had a tough first period but I thought they rebounded well with a solid second and third. Have to think Votary starts tomorrow to give George a much deserved breather.

Good to see Guindon pick up a couple goals as well. He's gone cold and hopefully that sparks him, Getting that second line humming consistently would be great to see.

Also, seems somebody put some vinegar in the Attack pregame coffees tonight. They were an ornery bunch out there. Three fights in a game, all instigated by the Attack. Hookey will sit for two games after picking up his fourth on the season. It was good to see them battling for each other out there.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Is it unbelievable Saginaw get 8 PP to the Attack's 1 .

Chapman and Faist , officiating .

Man if I'm the spirit, I'd be a little concerned. It took a gift pp in OT, and some charitable reffing to beat us .

Last edited:
Reactions: TLR and frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Man if I'm the spirit, I'd be a little concerned. It took a gift pp in OT, and some charitable reffing to beat us .
Same thing happened against Kingston. Memorial cup host getting favourable officiating- shocking. Was the worst reffed game of the year by far.

Miss Stewart on kingston holy crap he killed Hay that fight

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Same thing happened against Kingston. Memorial cup host getting favourable officiating- shocking. Was the worst reffed game of the year by far.

Miss Stewart on kingston holy crap he killed Hay that fight
A valuable point on the road.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

3 of those pps were from instagator penalties, 1 one an obvious rough from Smith, Smith also had a obvious 2 hander on Willis on the break away, and the trip in OT. Kinda hard to blame the refs when it’s self sabotage. Without a gem by George Saginaw puts up 8+ and it’s not even close

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
3 of those pps were from instagator penalties, 1 one an obvious rough from Smith, Smith also had a obvious 2 hander on Willis on the break away, and the trip in OT. Kinda hard to blame the refs when it’s self sabotage. Without a gem by George Saginaw puts up 8+ and it’s not even close
8 pp to 1.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
8 pp to 1.

What I’m saying is just because there was a disparity power plays doesn’t mean there’s a conspiracy. 3 of those pps were from instigating penalties. Obvious call. The roughing and slashing on Smith were obvious calls after he got beat wide with speed. Are you saying those obvious penalties shouldn’t have been called to make it fair? Should the refs have made up calls on Saginaw to make the number closer for the heck of it? Saginaw dominated possession in the game, historically you tend to take a lot less penalties controlling play in the offensive zone.

I’d even say as someone who was at the game last night, the refs called even LESS penalties on OS than they should have. There was one obvious one they missed where Parekh side stepped a OS defender, took a hook though the mid section from the defender who got beat, and carried so much speed he pulled the stick right out of the players hand. No call.

Owen Sound should be praising George for that point and even keeping it from a rout. Not minimizing his performance by blaming the refs

Reactions: OSattackfan

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
What I’m saying is just because there was a disparity power plays doesn’t mean there’s a conspiracy. 3 of those pps were from instigating penalties. Obvious call. The roughing and slashing on Smith were obvious calls after he got beat wide with speed. Are you saying those obvious penalties shouldn’t have been called to make it fair? Should the refs have made up calls on Saginaw to make the number closer for the heck of it? Saginaw dominated possession in the game, historically you tend to take a lot less penalties controlling play in the offensive zone.

I’d even say as someone who was at the game last night, the refs called even LESS penalties on OS than they should have. There was one obvious one they missed where Parekh side stepped a OS defender, took a hook though the mid section from the defender who got beat, and carried so much speed he pulled the stick right out of the players hand. No call.

Owen Sound should be praising George for that point and even keeping it from a rout. Not minimizing his performance by blaming the refs
Saginaw deserved just the one penalty????

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw doesn't even get an advantage in special teams opportunities if you look at the season as a whole. 210 times short handed. 200 power plays. Weird disparity for one night. It's not a grand conspiracy.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
A valuable point on the road.
It certainly was. Too bad to see Hookey miss 2 games for what was called a fight. More like a dance. Stewart sure won his, big uppercut from him, and Barlow? Again, takes an instigator and a 17 minute penalty. Sure miss him for that amount of time. Dionicio is a tough guy and just kind of pushed Barlow out and didn't throw any punches. Have to give him a llittle respect for that. George again was the diffenence for you guys. Can't keep giving up 40-50 shots every night if you are going to give hime 90% of the games. Smith took a couple penalties and seems to get burned and out of position alot. I didn't really notice his defensive liabilities when he was playing us here in the East. Good luck tonigh tin Windsor

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Saginaw deserved just the one penalty????

Saginaw had plenty of other penalties they just always took an OS player off with them. Someone pissed in the Attacks Cheerios pregame and Saginaw took advantage of their aggressive play last night. End of story. It literally almost worked out for OS to so I can’t blame them. The way to beat Saginaw is play them physically. Just can’t take the dumb instigating penalties and retaliation penalties when you get beat by thier speed

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
The way to beat Saginaw is play them physically.
This is correct and as you mentioned, it almost worked combined with GREAT goaltending. London and Soo have both shown that a physical team can stymie Saginaw but if you're not disciplined with it, the speed of Saginaw will hurt you.

Fun game to watch last night...really, really entertaining hockey...physical play, good goaltending, action at each end...just fun hockey.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well last night's game wasn't as bad as the score showed.

You take out the penalty shot and empty net goals and it's a 5-4 loss. We played right with the Spits for most of that game, we outshot them on the shotclock and won the majority of the faceoffs, sometimes these games are more about puck-luck then anything. Onward to Tuesday and the Generals.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well last night's game wasn't as bad as the score showed.

You take out the penalty shot and empty net goals and it's a 5-4 loss. We played right with the Spits for most of that game, we outshot them on the shotclock and won the majority of the faceoffs, sometimes these games are more about puck-luck then anything. Onward to Tuesday and the Generals.
There was only 1 empty net goal. Votary was in net for the last goal.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
It is still a loss to Windsor the 2nd last place team in the leaugue Can't be blamed on the goalie. THese losses to bad teams can be deadly as far as playoff positioning goes. That was your chance to take 4th from guelph and grab home ice.
The Fronts are doing the same thing and are in jeopardy of letting barrie take 7th from us

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It is still a loss to Windsor the 2nd last place team in the leaugue Can't be blamed on the goalie. THese losses to bad teams can be deadly as far as playoff positioning goes. That was your chance to take 4th from guelph and grab home ice.
The Fronts are doing the same thing and are in jeopardy of letting barrie take 7th from us
The Attack are now 5-2-2-1 in their last 10 games. The two teams in-front of them have a total of 4 wins combined over the same stretch. Who is having the bigger issues with teams catching up on them for a playoff spot?

Its unfortunate but Corbin has a .850 save percentage this year, yes, that can at times play a pretty significant factor in losses. He had flashes and at times was the best player in games against London in the playoffs last year, but he just has not found his game this year. The third string goalie against Barrie looked better. Ive been his biggest supporter, but at some point you are what your record is. Had Carter started, the Attack would have won (not that I think he should have started). Team just has no confidence in Corbin at this stage, they play differently in front of him.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
The Attack are now 5-2-2-1 in their last 10 games. The two teams in-front of them have a total of 4 wins combined over the same stretch. Who is having the bigger issues with teams catching up on them for a playoff spot?

Its unfortunate but Corbin has a .850 save percentage this year, yes, that can at times play a pretty significant factor in losses. He had flashes and at times was the best player in games against London in the playoffs last year, but he just has not found his game this year. The third string goalie against Barrie looked better. Ive been his biggest supporter, but at some point you are what your record is. Had Carter started, the Attack would have won (not that I think he should have started). Team just has no confidence in Corbin at this stage, they play differently in front of him.
Guelph certainly has faltered, that's what i mean. Saturday was a golden opportunity for you guys. I am quite surprised that Guelph has fallen. I watched a game or two of theirs this year in cludin gone they beat you and I thought they looked good. Once again, what do I know. As far as Votary, I feel bad for the kid, I've never trusted a right hand catching goalie. Goalie without confidence is a goalie in trouble

Reactions: OSattackfan

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Just my own personal theory but I feel like George's success this season has almost been a detriment to the defensive zone structure. The team is overly comfortable taking risks in the defensive end because George comes up with the saves to bail them out. You want your goalie to make the saves but at the same time the defensive systems should be suppressing chances against and this one seems to create them too frequently. When you swap out an elite goalie for an average one you don't get the saves to mask the defensive lapses. This team is overly loose in the D-zone for my liking.

Not trying to absolve anybody as Votary needs to be better but I also feel the team needs to do a better job in front of him as well. Come playoff time when you need 4 wins out of 7 against good opposition this loose D style will get exposed in my opinion. George is fully capable of stealing games but stealing 4 in a series is a huge ask. Helping him out by reducing the Grade A's against would go a long way to giving the Attack a legitimate chance to advance come playoff time.

Tough opponents over the next four games in Oshawa, Brantford, London and Mississauga will let Owen Sound know exactly where they stand. This is a really big test for them. They have been much better of late and this is a great chance to see how they measure up.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just curious if anyone has heard anything about Steen? It was an ugly looking injury and hopefully he's doing ok. It looked like it hit him flush.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Komoka's season ends March 2nd. Koprowski should join the team full time after that I would suspect. Theoretically the next time the team would need a back up to start is the three in three March 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Wouldn't at all be shocking to see Koprowski draw into a game or two before the end of the regular season.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Well we have now climbed up to 5th.. although Guelph has a game in hand and is only 1 point behind. Both Guelph and Kitch have hit a rough patch and Kitch is only 10 points up on us and we have a game in hand on them. I'm not entirely sure that we will make up the ground but it is technically possibly and would be pretty sweet if we could snag home ice in the first round... On to more important things I guess.. We are getting ever so close to that big 30 win mark yet again so start the party lol.. But in all seriousness.. We found a way to win that game last night largely in part to Carter and Colby.. Congrats to Seds for his impressive record, Id assume it will continue to grow for the next month or so. The team now has points in the last 8 of their 10 games I believe which is great and the home record is slowly starting to get better. Hopefully we can figure out the defenceive zone a bit more and start limiting teams shots atleast a little bit going forward because its our biggest issue Id think at the moment. Overall keep it up guys it feels much better then a month or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad