Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I hate random Zen headshots. Console aim assist helps him so much.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I had been gold for the first three seasons although I came very close every time to leveling up to plat...

Got placed at like 2050 for season 4, and went on a FIFTEEN GAME win streak, now in diamond

Just for further info...
Went 6-4 in placements
Highest rank last season was around ~2400
I play on Xbox One
Usually use, Dva, Lucio, Mercy, and occasionally Roadhog depending on situation
Almost all 15 games were solo queue! Only game I played with someone I knew was my brother who is very new, only like level 35 or something and not very good
I'm at 3015 now

If anyone on Xbox One wants to play some games ever shoot me a pm... I usually play after work at around midnight EST

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Ana will still be fine on PC... Just not a mandatory pick.

Her healing is still the best of any support, and biotic grenade/sleep dart are two of the best abilities in the game. Even if her grenade did no damage and no healing, the debuff alone is op. Her self-sustain is just a LOT lower now. She's one of my two mains in comp, all you had to do was throw a grenade at the ground, hit one shot, and punch... Win 1v1s against 75% of the cast. As fun as that is, it's not fair that the best healer also does the most damage, has the longest range, has the best self-sustain... and so on. I've never played on console so I can't tell how it'll change there, but I'll take all of your words that she's done. I just hate that Mercy is probably going to be more common. Games revolving around resurrections drive me insane.

This is what, round 7 of Sombra's cooldowns being reduced? In a month or two she'll have no cooldowns at all. :laugh: That's a good change for her, but until they make her gun spread a little less, she's still niche, if not useless. They also like to alternate between Zenyatta being trash and god-tier.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
At least the more enticing they make Sombra, the more likely you get a slightly less useless Sombra rather than a bad Widowmaker.

Nothing I hate more on PS4 than seeing someone pick Widowmaker in comp. Unless you're using a XIM4, there's always going to be a better pick (go Ana if you want to be a sniper, use Soldier if you want an automatic weapon, Sombra if you want to be 'stealthy')... and even if you are, there still probably is (see prior list).

At least Sombra can pop Bastion out of turret mode, and keep Reinhardt's shield down. And if your aim is decent, you can normally stealth in and kill their healer as a sacrificial pawn.

I'm like 2-2 since going 8-1-1 in my placements. Haven't felt much urge to really play comp this season too much. Using Zen as my secondary right now (Symmetra main) in order to offset Bastion.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I hit level 38, have been doing really well in quickplay, so I thought I was ready for competitive...boy was I wrong. Nowhere near my usual k/d, and I've gone 1-3-1 (w-l-d) so far.

I tried capture the flag last night and that was a ton of fun, reminded me even more of Tribes. Bastions abound in CTF, and predictably just camp by their own flag...surprisingly I was the only one playing Sombra and simply going in and popping them out of sentry mode and killing them.

Game still has me hooked.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I hit level 38, have been doing really well in quickplay, so I thought I was ready for competitive...boy was I wrong. Nowhere near my usual k/d, and I've gone 1-3-1 (w-l-d) so far.

I tried capture the flag last night and that was a ton of fun, reminded me even more of Tribes. Bastions abound in CTF, and predictably just camp by their own flag...surprisingly I was the only one playing Sombra and simply going in and popping them out of sentry mode and killing them.

Game still has me hooked.

Comp is tough, especially if you're new to the game... You'll learn as you go. Dealing with the toxicity is the worst part. People will scream at you if you don't fill, or pick 100% according to the meta, people will play Genji against Symmetra/Winstron/Mei and whine that no one is doing anything... It can be annoying and it usually gets worse the further you go. Just do your best and don't let people get to you. I've found that the easiest way to rank up is to just play for fun. The more mad and frustrated you get, the worse you're gonna play. Just today I played a game with a bunch of meme-loving degenerates... It was a blast, and we won 3-0. It's been 9 months, I think, and I'm still addicted. Pretty much the only game I play.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I hate random Zen headshots. Console aim assist helps him so much.

As someone who plays Zen a lot, the most ******** move he can pull is when you hold down the left trigger (alternate fire) and spam doorways. You land headshots you instant kill a squishy. I got a cross map one on Oasis last night :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So, saw an excerpt from the Reddit AMA about Lucio being on the dev hit list...
Something along the lines of trying to change the view of him being a 'must pick', while making him more engaging to play and feel more effective when played.

Seriously hope that they don't do any major alterations. Probably to me one of the more balanced heroes.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So, saw an excerpt from the Reddit AMA about Lucio being on the dev hit list...
Something along the lines of trying to change the view of him being a 'must pick', while making him more engaging to play and feel more effective when played.

Seriously hope that they don't do any major alterations. Probably to me one of the more balanced heroes.
Is it really balanced if he's a "must pick?"

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

some hero design is just near-impossible to make bad enough to not be must-pick. to make Lucio not must-pick they would have to change his core design tbh. its not his balancing thats an issue, just that his kit is so good

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
some hero design is just near-impossible to make bad enough to not be must-pick. to make Lucio not must-pick they would have to change his core design tbh. its not his balancing thats an issue, just that his kit is so good
Could they not nerf his healing and up his damage output slightly, so that good Lucio players can still make use of him but he's not as much of a "must pick" depending on comps?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Well assuming you have 2 healers in a team, he's the only one that provides area heal support really. Especially after they destroy Ana.

I was thinking for Ana, what they really should do is take away the grenade, but give her an area effect on hit. Also reduce the values accordingly to keep her hps roughly around Lucio. Then give her some form of self heal/boost (stim pack?) as a grenade replacement.

So then the choice would be Mercy or Zen, and Lucio or Ana.
Lucio and Zen with more dps and slightly less hps than their counterparts who have more hps and support abilities.

Also, he was actually saying that while the perception was there... The stats didn't bear it out.

So basically everyone says he's a must pick, but no one wants to play him. Hence trying to find a way to make him a more engaging character.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think Ana and Zen as your healers is viable on many maps, depending on your comp. I don't have any issues with Lucio.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Well assuming you have 2 healers in a team, he's the only one that provides area heal support really. Especially after they destroy Ana.

I was thinking for Ana, what they really should do is take away the grenade, but give her an area effect on hit. Also reduce the values accordingly to keep her hps roughly around Lucio. Then give her some form of self heal/boost (stim pack?) as a grenade replacement.

So then the choice would be Mercy or Zen, and Lucio or Ana.
Lucio and Zen with more dps and slightly less hps than their counterparts who have more hps and support abilities.

Also, he was actually saying that while the perception was there... The stats didn't bear it out.

So basically everyone says he's a must pick, but no one wants to play him. Hence trying to find a way to make him a more engaging character.

I like the way they were talking about that. As a Lucio player I put a lot of effort into making Lucio an engaging and fun hero to use. Hours and hours of practicing wall riding and studying footage; learning routes on maps and tactics.

I think they will focus more on his speed boost and the damage he can do. That is what Lucio is all about, his healing is minuscule and more about spot heals and topping everyone up between fights. As of right now guys like DSPStanky can use him as basically a more useful Genji. Can flank/distract (draws huge attention as a support and primary target for other team) while also being able to get key picks and then drop back and focus on shot-calling and support from the back lines. More emphasis on being the conductor of your team's flow would be great in the way of speed boosting your teams pushes in and evacs. I don't know what the changes would be though.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think Ana and Zen as your healers is viable on many maps, depending on your comp. I don't have any issues with Lucio.

If the other team is running PharMercy, I find Zen pretty much a must-pick. Otherwise, Lucio's speed boost is just necessary. His healing is nice but the speed boost, as long as it's in the game, will make him more or less a mandatory pick.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Lucio has been nerfed enough. :(

I've had a bit of an unexpected start to the season so far. Went 5-4-1 in placements and was given a new career high in 2677. Currently at 2788. Most of the teams I've been on have had only 1 person wanting to play tank and most wanting DPS, something I haven't seen in plat (or high gold) before. o_O

I have definitely noticed a lot more people willing to communicate and use their mics.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lucio's healing isn't the issue, and hasn't been for a long time. It's his speed boost that makes him a must pick, and to change that would change the core of the character.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Lucio's healing isn't the issue, and hasn't been for a long time. It's his speed boost that makes him a must pick, and to change that would change the core of the character.

At higher tiers where there's more coordination, sure.
At lower tiers, where everyone's running around like a chicken with their heads cut off - the healing is more beneficial. Also KOTH maps.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
yoooooo Im gonna hit GM because of these changes

my jukes will be unstoppable and even more healing? **** yes Im so stoked. I can literally just play like a DPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad