Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Legendary thread. Just the thought that this game, which people bought for $40 USD, keeps pumping out seasonal content (lets be honest, almost something every month or two), now a server browser, constant updates to hero meta and most importantly steady addition of heroes and maps - hats off to Jeff Kaplan and the entire Overwatch team. Those guys are proving that game developers who listen to their player base and provide a fair business model will succeed.

I've thus far bought maybe $ 100 worth of lootbox, on top of the $ 60 deluxe game. And I wouldn't hesitate to keep pumping money if they keep showing that this game will have quite a longevity.

Now, if only I could get better at the game (lol, silver/gold 4 life). I bought a new computer and a new 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor and a razer deathadder. I have no more excuse to suck. I've been playing a lot of McCree these days. My twitch aiming is very good, if anyone has any tips on how to best play McCree, I'm listening.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It is definitely amazing how devoted Blizzard and their OW dev crew are to updating the game with new content and balancing changes.

As a console gamer for my whole life I've never had this sort of experience for an FPS, it's really something.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is it confirmed consoles are getting the server browser as well?

That has serious potential to take this game to the next level. Halo, 3 in particular grew a huge casual following because of all the crazy custom game modes (Fat Kid in particuar i recall) people came up with this. OW getting that will be even bigger for a game that has had surprisingly had little drop off.

I thought this would become a niche game on conosle once the yearly COD/BF dogfight started, but if anything it's picked up more players. I've had probably the most fun i've ever had with a game to the point i met a good bunch of people (actually flew up to NYC to have a meet up) i now call friends.

To think i almost didn't buy this because i thought it was corny. Glad i gave the beta a second go :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Bastion 2.0 (A.K.A. PTR Bastion) looks like it might be pretty viable, even on attack.

Non-stop fire from long distance:

Burst fire from long distance:

(turret doesn't matter since it's now always firing with max spread)

If they don't load refresh until they do, gfycat is weird on this site

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
they accomplished what they intended to do with Bastion. Recon mode is now much more useful againt small heroes, where Sentry mode is better against tanks and waves

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I've had this game for months but haven't had time to play it much until last night.

I'd put in a grand total of 3 hours prior to last night, mostly as Reinhardt which is fun and feels very useful, but last night I played 3 hours as Pharah and holy ****...as a huge Tribes fan back in the day she gave me very good nostalgia, she's basically a Tribes character optimized for modern gaming. Once I figured out how to maintain flight for extended periods I had a lot of success (even got play of the game on Ilios with an ult that took out 4). The concussive blast is such a perfect ability to add to a character like hers.

Not the most unique or earth shattering contribution to this thread, but I see myself playing this game a lot for quite a while now...I'm hooked.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Pharah is kind of a robot, no?

It seems almost unfair to be able to fly to such heights and shoot a never ending supply of rockets, not to mention her ult is so lethal

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
McCree has a robotic arm. (mod)

Also McCree's ult is the worst in the game. Like seriously, every single time I try to pull it off, there's a new level of ******** I discover in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I still haven't quite got the hang of ideal placement with DVa explosions.
Managed to land a triple kill today, but generally I only get like one person... At least it still temporarily clears the objective.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Such a good casual game, Overwatch will stay in my rotation for awhile if they keep updating it like they are. My only complaint is I would like to see more PvE game modes. Junkenstein was excellent for honing my McCree aiming, haven't played him much and am now junk in Mystery Heroes.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
McCree has a robotic arm. (mod)

Also McCree's ult is the worst in the game. Like seriously, every single time I try to pull it off, there's a new level of ******** I discover in this game.

I've had success with it when I ult behind the enemy lines (in attack). They usually can't react fast enough.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I still haven't quite got the hang of ideal placement with DVa explosions.
Managed to land a triple kill today, but generally I only get like one person... At least it still temporarily clears the objective.

How do you usually throw them? I play a ton of D.Va and I am still fairly inconsistent with them.

Obvouslu getting the timing down on getting the bomb to explode mid-air to get maximize damage and general map knowledge is going to help and that just comes with experience.

From my experience there are 3 ways to really use a D.Va ult.

First is just to get your mech back during a fight which you won't get kills off of.
Second is to use as an engage tool for a fight, to send the enemy scrambling. In that case I find it best to use as a setup for other ultimates (like tact visor for instance)
Lastly to actually get as many eliminations as possible. From my experience, the best times to use them are mid fight while the enemy is distracted or to coordinate with your teammates. Getting your Rein to charge the enemy one is a great tool to open things up, or to get your hog to ult the shield.

There are a lot of great videos on YouTube of sneaky spots that can trick enemies and I use a bunch of them regularly.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
More PTR changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753097493
We have a new build coming soon that has some Roadhog and Winston changes to test out.

Roadhog
Scrap Gun
Spread decreased by 20%

Chain Hook
Targets are now pulled to a location 3.5 meters away, up from 2 meters.
Cooldown increased from 6 to 8

Winston
Critical hit volume reduced by 15%

The Roadhog changes overall reduce the power of his hook a bit, but his gun is now more effective when not using the hook.

Winston's head hit volume was just abnormally big, making him take more damage than he otherwise should. This change brings it more in line with other heroes.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Apparently the custom game additions in PTR are creating a whole new realm for the game.

Depending on the direction and the degree to which they take it, it could cement the games longevity for many people.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After being rated gold and then dropping to silver (really only about a 100 point drop, andI blame bad teammates for the most part) because they rank you where close to where you have been in the past, I did the placement matches on an alt to see where I'm really at. Got around 2700 which is even better than I expected. Happy about that.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I was at ~1480 rating a month ago.. Now, I'm at 2250. Pretty happy about that. This tank meta frustrates me though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I was at ~1480 rating a month ago.. Now, I'm at 2250. Pretty happy about that. This tank meta frustrates me though.

I like it, I've played D.va for quite a while so I guess I'm part of it. Though it is quite frustrating to retake points even as a tank when you have a Roadhog, Reinhardt and D.va all guarding it.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I like it, I've played D.va for quite a while so I guess I'm part of it. Though it is quite frustrating to retake points even as a tank when you have a Roadhog, Reinhardt and D.va all guarding it.

I play tanks and supports kind of alot, but yeah, it's really frustrating to fight a team with 3 tanks. Especially when pretty often my team picks 4 assassins, a support and then I'll be tanking alone.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think my Winston changes are better, but I'll take a headshot reduction lol

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Started this season around 2500, went all the way down to 1900, and am back up to 2450 after finally getting the right combo of friends to play with.

It's been a roller coaster to say the least :laugh:

Ilios continues to be my least favorite map, especially that ruins level. Seriously, **** that map hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->