Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So much for Trotz in New York with the Islanders

Could be where he lands(NYI).....he stepped down because he only would make 1.8 million for next 2 yr in Wash....he's worth 5 -6 million a year now..if he lands in NYI John T will have a good coach

Point of clarification on the Trotz contract: as per the clause in his contract, winning the Stanley Cup automatically triggered the two-year extension with the modest raise so really, he had no choice but to step down unless he was happy with that extension and terms.
— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) June 18, 2018
Point of clarification on the Trotz contract: as per the clause in his contract, winning the Stanley Cup automatically triggered the two-year extension with the modest raise so really, he had no choice but to step down unless he was happy with that extension and terms.
— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) June 18, 2018

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm kind of shocked about Trotz to be honest. Apparently Trotz wanted 5 x 5 which is what Julien got but Caps weren't willing to go that long on term. His current contract stipulated a 2 year extension with a $300k pay raise if he won a stanley cup. Still think it was more than just about money since Caps wanted to move on with Reardon but imagine the Habs that are paying Julien 5M and Therrien 2M to finish bottom of the league. Ouch!

Barry Trotz is a HOF coach and deserves to be paid as such...

Currently 5th all-time in career wins with 762. Will pass Al Arbour for 4th if he returns next year
56.4% career points%, tied with Al Arbour.
19 seasons with only two franchises. 11 trips to the playoffs.
Grew the hockey culture in Nashville as their first ever head coach of an expansion franchise. Helped them become legitimate.
Took a Washington team to a destination they had failed to reach for the entire generation of that team, and decades before that as well.
Won the Calder Cup with the 1994 Portland Pirates
Three division titles.
Two President's Trophies
One Jack Adams Award
One Stanley Cup

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm kind of shocked about Trotz to be honest. Apparently Trotz wanted 5 x 5 which is what Julien got but Caps weren't willing to go that long on term. His current contract stipulated a 2 year extension with a $300k pay raise if he won a stanley cup. Still think it was more than just about money since Caps wanted to move on with Reardon but imagine the Habs that are paying Julien 5M and Therrien 2M to finish bottom of the league. Ouch!

Currently 5th all-time in career wins with 762. Will pass Al Arbour for 4th if he returns next year
Grew the hockey culture in Nashville as their first ever head coach of an expansion franchise. Helped them become legitimate.
Took a Washington team to a destination they had failed to reach for the entire generation of that team, and decades before that as well.
Three division titles.
Two President's Trophies
One Jack Adams Award
One Stanley Cup

some are speculating Trotz might end up in Minny and Bruce Boudreau fired...

..Trotz and GM Paul Fenton of Wild was together in Nashville

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
At least the Caps accepted Trotz' resignation and parted amicably. They could have easily held him hostage under the terms of their current contract.

Not sure if this is shade but I'm a big believer of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I find the following statement by MacLellan extremely groundbreaking... we lived for years under Therrien the Tyrant favoring his washed up veterans instead of giving the kids a chance because apparently the NHL is not a development league... ooops

Same reason I disagree with not playing Galchenyuk at center. You don't just wake up one day all of a sudden you're an amazing center. It's an ongoing process and you learn on the fly. It took Kuznetsov four years to get to where he is.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Three division titles.
Two President's Trophies
One Jack Adams Award
One Stanley Cup

I just lost a lot of respect for Trotz. He might deserve 5m a year, but he signed a contract knowing full well the terms. To walk away just because he wants more money is as bad as guys like Yashin holding out for raises back when they were allowed to renegotiate player contracts.

Reactions: LaP

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I just lost a lot of respect for Trotz. He might deserve 5m a year, but he signed a contract knowing full well the terms. To walk away just because he wants more money is as bad as guys like Yashin holding out for raises back when they were allowed to renegotiate player contracts.

Agreed. He only had two more years to go. He could have cashed in on his next contract. On the other hand his value is highest now. Still they had something special in Washington. It's a real shame not to have attempted to win the Cup again. Assuming he doesn't get hired this year he could be sitting at home for a year at which point was it worth it?

Devils advocate is do you really care what some random people think of you if it brings you few extra million per year? Tough dilemma.. it would be like players wanting to break out of their contract because they feel they are underpaid compared to their peers.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

There was an out clause, because this was an extension of his expired contract should he win a Cup. It was perfectly legal and proper.

Personally, I can't believe the Caps wouldn't at least try to renegotiate.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
There was an out clause, because this was an extension of his expired contract should he win a Cup. It was perfectly legal and proper.

I am sure that Caps could have offered example 3yrs x 5M but Trotz wanted 5 years.. add that to the four years he's already been with the team, that's a long time for a coach to be with the same team. Trotz was close to getting fired several times this year so to go from almost being fired to committing 5 years is a huge commitment.

If the Caps feel like Reirden is able to take over then good for them. We will see. It's kind of like the Habs committing 8 x 10.5M to Price knowing that Lindgren is ready to step up. They are going to risk end up losing him for nothing.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

What was the out clause because from the reporting it sounded like the extension was automatic.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I am sure that Caps could have offered example 3yrs x 5M but Trotz wanted 5 years.. add that to the four years he's already been with the team, that's a long time for a coach to be with the same team.

If the Caps feel like Reirden is able to take over then good for them. We will see. It's kind of like the Habs committing 8 x 10.5M to Price knowing that Lindgren is ready to step up. They are going to risk end up losing him for nothing.

I believe there was going to be a mutual parting before the Cup run. With an out clause and a Cup, don't really blame Trotz for trying to get a better deal.

He'll only be unemployed as long as he wants to be.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

no..the Caps got tight fisted..lol..after Barry winning them the CUP...they wouldn't even pay him ..they want to give him a 300,000 raise to $1.8 million...lmao....dumb dumb dumb...

Caps repeat chances gone down huge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad