Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
None of them really excel in their own end, we all saw how much they struggled to contain the Jets forwards. I think I would rank Ekholm the best defensively on that team. He seems to be the best at containing forwards 1 on 1 because of his size and reach.

Agreed. Would also rank Ellis as the worst there.

I mean once upon a time he did spinoramas so he must suck in his zone :sarcasm:

Josi and Ellis were awful in the 2018 playoffs. They were bad defensively in 2017 too. Its hard To understand why but it is what it is.

They were definitely bad this year. That D vastly under performed. Rinne made them look worse with the lack of saves at times.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
None of them really excel in their own end, we all saw how much they struggled to contain the Jets forwards. I think I would rank Ekholm the best defensively on that team. He seems to be the best at containing forwards 1 on 1 because of his size and reach.

Ekholm is out of position a lot. Having said that I like him in his own zone. As a defender he's much better than Josi and Ellis but is not in Subban's class at this point of his career.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I mean once upon a time he did spinoramas so he must suck in his zone :sarcasm:

Josi and Ellis were awful in the 2018 playoffs. They were bad defensively in 2017 too. Its hard To understand why but it is what it is.

You know who else not only did spinoramas but was master of them? Serge Savard, another ex-Habs bum.

Josi and Ellis were definitely sub-par defensively in the last 2 playoffs. The lack of respect PK gets knows no bounds. They're not great positionally, not physical and read defenses better than they read offenses. They're scoring machines but hardly anywhere near the top defensively.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I bet that Nashville would give us Subban and a pick just to get Weber back.:laugh:

giphy.gif

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I've seen a lot of games that Subban has played.

Either people are misreading what I'm saying. I'm not saying Subban is terrible in his own zone, like Mike Green, he's just not as good as people think.

We got what you said and you're still wrong. Subban is extremely effective defensively, there aren't many out there that is better than him.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I'm assuming/hoping most people here know the Subban rumors make no sense, but for what it's worth, this morning on a Nashville radio show (on 102.5), both Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun said they have no reasons to believe Subban was or is on the trading block. They'd be all over that if the rumors were true, so for them to say he's not on the trading block, it means a lot more than random rumors started by people who are just speculating.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Ya Subban is overrated defensively if you ignore the eye test, advanced stats all other hockey related stuff.

Add to that hes a great role model for children Montreal sure lost a gem.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ya Subban is overrated defensively if you ignore the eye test, advanced stats all other hockey related stuff.

Add to that hes a great role model for children Montreal sure lost a gem.
While were at it, lets reverse the part where we lost Subban, Radulov, Sergachev, Markov and Eller, If we could only erase the crap of the last 6 years.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
True but since unification only a couple of the players have been born in the former East Germany. In this WC team I believe only Toni Kroos is from the former East Germany.

Btw, sportsnet yesterday was an orgy of Leafs fans posting about the Marlies. How many games do you think if any, would the Marlies win if they played in the NHL?

Not many probably. A lot are still young kids developing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Their goalie might win the Vezina too. That plus a dollar will buy you a cheap cup of coffee. Clearly the Preds have figured out that having one of the best goalies and one of the best defensemen in the league didn't get them where they wanted to go this season. So rather than keep doing the same thing over while expecting a different result, they're exploring the possibility of making changes.
Euh..didnt they finish atop the conference? Pretty sure they were very happy with that.
Rinne however, did not play like a vezina candidate during the POs.

Also, making such a bold move when you're already a contender is just pointless. Panicking because you didn't go back to the finals is pretty stupid.
Preds should play to their strength, see if they can improve the speed and puck movement from their back end even further. Their 3rd pair was pretty bad.
Of course, if they can add a big player up front it would be great but not at the cost of their best dman. That would just be stupid.

member 300185

LOL ... but one never knows, anything can happen in a World Cup game. They are all good teams just to get there. :)

Oh ... wait ... in 1958, it was only West Germany, half of Germany playing then. In 1974 East Germany even played against West Germany. Now it's the full reunited country and better together. :D
I went to the world cup in 1990 in Milan Italy. I saw Germany beat the Czechs 1-0 on a penalty by Lothar Matthias. It was nuts. I still have the ticket stubs. I wonder if they are worth anything now?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I went to the world cup in 1990 in Milan Italy. I saw Germany beat the Czechs 1-0 on a penalty by Lothar Matthias. It was nuts. I still have the ticket stubs. I wonder if they are worth anything now?

Unfortunately, probably just the good memories.

member 300185

True but since unification only a couple of the players have been born in the former East Germany. In this WC team I believe only Toni Kroos is from the former East Germany.

Btw, sportsnet yesterday was an orgy of Leafs fans posting about the Marlies. How many games do you think if any, would the Marlies win if they played in the NHL?

They'd beat Buffalo I think

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad