Post-Game Talk: Out Goalied Oilers lose to the Wild again

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I get what you’re saying but he’s not paid to stop pucks. Pickard let in three garbage goals, Gustavson made some nice stops and that was the difference. Skinner has been a colander again too over his last 6 starts, so goaltending is going to sink them either down the stretch or in the playoffs. They’re nowhere near being a lock for a playoff spot yet with Nashville just 6 points behind.

He’s in a brutal scoring slump no question but other guys are chipping in. It’s kind of nice not having to rely on him to score a highlight reel goal every night. It would have been nice tonight but there’s other guys that had chances too.

It also shouldn't be ignored that even while in the worst goal scoring slump of his career McDavid still has 17 points in the 8 games he hasn't scored a goal. The dude is currently on pace to be only the 4th player to record 100 assists in a season.

Boldy fakes one timing that. Everybody on ice expected Boldy to one time it including Nurse, Pickard. Was a brilliant decision for Boldy to instead walk puck forward with pace and then drill it home. Boldy on that play created a different shooting angle that left the goalie helpless because it was coming across bang bang play at speed.

Sorry but theres no way I blame Pickard on a goal like that moving right across the slot with speed. This was also a puck turnover and a brilliantly executed play by the Wild. They do these plays and score a lot on them.

Wild don't generate tons of Ozone time but when they are there they are dangerous. Especially on turnovers which this was.

It was in incredibly play by Boldy.

Honestly though who cares?

Two garbage goals against two too many. And thats what Minnesota's other two goals were.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Having a couple shooters would make the offense so much more difficult to contain. It changes so much ensuring the goalie cant cheat

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Looks like I picked a great game to sell my tickets and stay home to play D&D!

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It also shouldn't be ignored that even while in the worst goal scoring slump of his career McDavid still has 17 points in the 8 games he hasn't scored a goal. The dude is currently on pace to be only the 4th player to record 100 assists in a season.

Honestly though who cares?

Two garbage goals against two too many. And thats what Minnesota's other two goals were.
People are being a bit hard on Pickard who, it should be said doesn't even see enough action to be as sharp, and he's generally been a help to us this season and wasn't even supposed to be in the NHL.

Neither Boldy goal was Garbage. The first Boldy goal is scored from the slot as he's changing angle and shooting through a screen while picking a spot. Try stopping that. The 2nd Boldy goal was unstoppable because of how Boldy executed that play. Brilliant goal scorer.

The other goal was bad. Pickard could or should have seen that one from Brodin and was just beaten. But the Boldy goals were solid. People don't recognize how dangerous those slot spots, and moving across while shooting is for a goalie because we don't have slot scorers. These are HDSC and then some. Even stationary these are dangerous but when the goal scorer is moving across in shooting the goalie doesn't have much chance if its screened, and if its labeled.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
People are being a bit hard on Pickard who, it should be said doesn't even see enough action to be as sharp, and he's generally been a help to us this season and wasn't even supposed to be in the NHL.

Neither Boldy goal was Garbage. The first Boldy goal is scored from the slot as he's changing angle and shooting through a screen while picking a spot. Try stopping that. The 2nd Boldy goal was unstoppable because of how Boldy executed that play. Brilliant goal scorer.

The other goal was bad. Pickard could or should have seen that one from Brodin and was just beaten. But the Boldy goals were solid. People don't recognize how dangerous those slot spots, and moving across while shooting is for a goalie because we don't have slot scorers. These are HDSC and then some. Even stationary these are dangerous but when the goal scorer is moving across in shooting the goalie doesn't have much chance if its screened, and if its labeled.
Stop focusing on the micro and focus on the macro.

If the Edmonton Oilers had team depth they could start playing as a team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
3 garbage goals? Nobody stops the 2nd Boldy goal for sure. Take a look at it again. That was a fantastic play. Boldy scores there because he faked he was going to one time and then changed shooting angle, then scored. Cerebral play. Brilliantly taken goal.

Pickard is also an after thought pickup being paid league minimum. Wasn't even supposed to be getting NHL games. McD is making 12.5M a year and scoring 21 goals.. He needs to finish.
Perry could've. But he was coasting back. Controller disconnected. He comes into frame right after the puck crosses the line.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I swear whenever drai and McDavid are done here, I think I am going to enjoy games more because I will care less lol

The only time I pretty much shut the team out was when we got the dman who broke Connors collarbone. Was starting a new business and was working almost 12 hours a day six days a week. I didn't watch a game for months

Half of the time now the expectations are for mcdsvid to at least win a cup and it's more frustrating every year that it's not being built properly to win it

Then the other voice tells me to shut up and these are first world problems and it's just a damn sport lol. I've been watching closely since 1990. I thought I'd start caring less as I age, but it seems to be going the opposite way lmao

As for the wild, I have only gone to one game and it was boring AF. Then again, I barely go to games. Always sell them or give them to employees.

Having two young kids, I find it hard to just say I'm leaving the house at 5sh and I'll tell the wifey I'll be back by 11sh and I don't even drink

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The 2nd Boldy goal was unstoppable because of how Boldy executed that play. Brilliant goal scorer.
Good lord why don’t you make another post crediting Boldy’s ‘brilliance’. What a joke. That’s a goal because all the bounces go against the Oilers on that sequence. Ceci hits the puck two or three times in the air and it still falls right to the Wild. Then Nurse, with all his momentum going to his own left, tips the puck but doesn’t get enough of it and it falls right on Boldy’s stick. You credit him for not taking a slap shot there? Lmao. A peewee player would have seen how out of position Nurse and Pickard were with all their momentum taking them out of the play. Brilliant? Please, that’s the easiest goal Boldy is going to score this month. And lucky too. About the only thing you got right was no chance for Pickard.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Be interesting to see what Kenny gets done by deadline day. Depending on the week, we either need a top6 winger, a top 4 Dman or a 1B goalie. At best will likely only get one of those. I have no idea any more what my top priority is, each of the above takes centerstage at some point as problem #1 when we aren't playing well.

Reactions: CROTT

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton

Funny how some look at Pickards games logically, but then are blinded by their Skinner hate to see every goal as 100% his fault.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
it is when those 3 goals are allowed on 19 shots. It’s not a sub .900 sv% league.
Actually four on 19 shots, Pickards good games that every one seams to judge him on were against the Ducks and Hawks. Out side of that he’s mostly been a sub .900 goalie this season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Be interesting to see what Kenny gets done by deadline day. Depending on the week, we either need a top6 winger, a top 4 Dman or a 1B goalie. At best will likely only get one of those. I have no idea any more what my top priority is, each of the above takes centerstage at some point as problem #1 when we aren't playing well.

One silver lining of them hitting a rough patch before the TDL is it highlights where the flaws are.

For my money, the first upgrade should be on the defence. A better blueline impacts everything, including the other other 2.

The one argument I'd hear is if you think Broberg is ready for an NHL role, with him and Kulak taking on Ceci's #4 role (i.e. more Kulak to start, and you see if Broberg can be weaned into the role), and that cap space going towards a forward and a trustworth option for the #7.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak/Broberg-Nurse
Broberg/Kulak-Desharnais

I admit, I don't hate that as it would fix the lack of speed. Plus it does seem like the better rentals are forwards with slim picking on defence (outside of the Flames).

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Actually four on 19 shots, Pickards good games that every one seams to judge him on were against the Ducks and Hawks. Out side of that he’s mostly been a sub .900 goalie this season.
The 4th goal was an empty netter

Reactions: elmeroil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad