Post-Game Talk: Out Goalied Oilers lose to the Wild again

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You sound like a frugal practical German to me. :sarcasm: In fact you sound like my old Grandfather!

I don’t know if I’d call it worship. People have different priorities and will do what they can afford. If you go to the Super Bowl but can’t house feed or clothe your family then you’ve got a priority problem.

I don’t know why people would spend tens of thousands of dollars on designer clothes when a $20 tshirt and $39 track pants does the trick or spending a dime on a tattoo lol. But those same people would look at me sideways for spending $6000 on a T Rex tooth. (Yes I have one lol)!
My dad came from death camps and my dad and mom from post WW starvation. Its not atypical to be like this being the child of such generational conditions. it impacts on a lot of levels. Its hard for me to think of things in the same way that others not so exposed could think of them.

The way I view society is that the world goes from one collective lurch to another and hopefully not headed again to the really bad ones. Suffice to say when you are German you know fully well what atrocity is at the hands of man.

Going full circle Taylor Swift consumption is the priority of the populace. The new religion and opiate of the masses. To stop them from thinking about whats happening. Thats the harm.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets just say his house he built a few years ago here costs 6M+ and he already paid it off lol

Wow 81K. I remember that is what my parents sold their first condo for. My first house cost just over 400 here 12 years ago. Got another house in the 600s recently. It's already valued at over 720. Lots of people keep moving to Alberta and Edmonton. Even Calgarians are getting priced out. Tough times.

Lets hope Edmonton has the reverse of this game against Calgary!
81.5K if I'm being exact. hehe.

I'm the type of frugal person that drives vehicles for 15yrs if they still go..

I'm pounding this out on a computer that is 13yrs old. heh

Frugal, and then some. Wise? Probably not.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
81.5K if I'm being exact. hehe.

I'm the type of frugal person that drives vehicles for 15yrs if they still go..

I'm pounding this out on a computer that is 13yrs old. heh

Frugal, and then some.
I live a pretty simple life. I am trying to make and build what we can for my kids to pass it all down to. Besides golfing, I don't really spend much $$ at all lol. Love my Costco old man clothes. Had my SUV for almost 10 years now (but bought an EV mainly for the wife). Eat out maybe once a month.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I live a pretty simple life. I am trying to make and build what we can for my kids to pass it all down to. Besides golfing, I don't really spend much $$ at all lol. Love my Costco old man clothes. Had my SUV for almost 10 years now (but bought an EV mainly for the wife). Eat out maybe once a month.
Thanks for the exchange. You sound frugal and with level priorities. Wasn't trying to judge at all. Sorry if it ever seems that way.

its sad that your kids and everybodies kids will need so much help in the future that some world leaders want to envision. Enough of that though. cheers.

Me: In retirement I'm embracing the sweat pants sweat shirt life I always wanted in a career where I had to dress up at times. haha. I love it. I'd be fired for the dress code I've adopted.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The tepid starts where we don't shoot, are the second hardest working team, and pretty much refuse to play simple hockey have to f***ing end.

Why do we seemingly get "goalied" so much by shitty to average at best net minders? It really shouldn't be a mystery. When you don't shoot other than the occasional muffin it gives the other goalie a chance to ease in to the game and get comfortable.

Every game follows this exact same stupid cadence:

First 10 mins of 1st - uneventful, but we could make something out of it if we simply wanted to. Often are the better team, but won't shoot under any circumstance. Usually piss a power play into the wind at some point here too.

Last 10 mins of first - we do something dumb to let the other team into the game even if they don't score (bad PP, PK, etc). Game starts going the wrong direction before we are a mess to end the period.

Second Period - no show from every perspective until down by at least two goals, then at that point we usually decide to start actually skating and doing things conducive to winning (sometimes).

Third Period - own the other team, but just hope that the hole we dug ourselves isn't too deep. Often get "goalied."

Other teams don't do this for massive stretches like we do. Other teams recognize "shit we really don't ever shoot the puck early" and make it a focus of change. Not here. We let it drag, and drag, and get worse before anyone will even acknowledge it. Then even when they do acknowledge it it takes another week to actually see any sort of change in approach.

This has to be one of the most frustrating sports franchises to watch. They are dynasty level champions of beating themselves.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Thanks for the exchange. You sound frugal and with level priorities. Wasn't trying to judge at all. Sorry if it ever seems that way.

its sad that your kids and everybodies kids will need so much help in the future that some world leaders want to envision. Enough of that though. cheers.

Me: In retirement I'm embracing the sweat pants sweat shirt life I always wanted in a career where I had to dress up at times. haha. I love it. I'd be fired for the dress code I've adopted.
Yes it is harder now a days. Edmonton is still ok, but I feel for people in their early 20's elsewhere. No hope in buying a house. I feel secure knowing that my kids will start off with a big leg up (giving them a home each and whatever else we make). I just turned 40, so I have a lot of time to grind. Good OT exchange.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The tepid starts where we don't shoot, are the second hardest working team, and pretty much refuse to play simple hockey have to f***ing end.

Why do we seemingly get "goalied" so much by shitty to average at best net minders? It really shouldn't be a mystery. When you don't shoot other than the occasional muffin it gives the other goalie a chance to ease in to the game and get comfortable.

First 10 mins of 1st - uneventful, but we could make something out of it if we simply wanted to. Often are the better team, but won't shoot under any circumstance. Usually piss a power play into the wind at some point here too.

Last 10 mins of first - we do something dumb to let the other team into the game even if they don't score (bad PP, PK, etc). Game starts going the wrong direction before we are a mess to end the period.

Second Period - no show from every perspective until down by at least two goals, then at that point we usually decide to start actually skating and doing things conducive to winning (sometimes).

Third Period - own the other team, but just hope that the hole we dug ourselves isn't too deep. Often get "goalied."

Other teams don't do this for massive stretches like we do. Other teams recognize "shit we really don't ever shoot the puck early" and make it a focus of change. Not here. We let it drag, and drag, and get worse before anyone will even acknowledge it. Then even when they do acknowledge it it takes another week to actually see any sort of change in approach.

This has to be one of the most frustrating sports franchises to watch. They are dynasty level champions of beating themselves.
Difference was goaltending once again. Minny in contrast were awful on the PP. Absolutely inept. Nor were they particularly good in pk or in EV play. Minny spent most of the game surviving our attack while only spoling to get the odd counter breaks to inflict damage. It was the most cynical game played by the Wild, who spent almost a period trying to "protect" a one goal lead.

It was like watching Japan beat Germany in the WC. It works, but its the death of play. Minny were just playing to make the game stop. I'll still prefer a team taking the initiative and the Oilers did plenty storming the net and got a lot of chances and shots. The Wild were crap mostly, The goalie earned his star.

The Wild stole this win and somehow the Oilers through lack of bearing down on finish allowed that result. Zero EV goals on a night you got 45 sog is kind of surreal, but its something the Oilers unpack not irregularly.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Sorry to belabor the point. The quick pass goes from left to right which could be a one timer. The way Boldy takes puck even looks as if it could be one timer. But then Boldy moves back across (this represents two quick directions Pickard has to track in a split second. It was a bang bang play) To his credit Pickard did move across properly for the slot chance, but then with boldy moving back across the grain its too much, and he slots it by Pickard who is helpless. I don't think you're seeing all the lateral motion involved in the play, and at speed.

As well watching in slo mo gives distortion that the play was manageable. That play was extremely difficult for a goalie, and the read on what Boldy was going to do harder, and unexpected.

cheers
No need to apologize for anything…in the grand scheme it was a totally preventable goal in the first place because of Ceci trying to stick juggle it in the air and the Wild player easily taking it away from him. He would have been better off punching it away than trying to be fancy.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You sound like a frugal practical German to me. :sarcasm: In fact you sound like my old Grandfather!

I don’t know if I’d call it worship. People have different priorities and will do what they can afford. If you go to the Super Bowl but can’t house feed or clothe your family then you’ve got a priority problem.

I don’t know why people would spend tens of thousands of dollars on designer clothes when a $20 tshirt and $39 track pants does the trick or spending a dime on a tattoo lol. But those same people would look at me sideways for spending $6000 on a T Rex tooth. (Yes I have one lol)!
My parents are both German descent, and my old man would have rather pulled out all his fingernails than carry debt. He couldn't wait to pay down his mortgage and clear off any other debt. I get a lot of that from him, for good or bad I guess. I don't handle debt very well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Good summary. The passive starts are highly frustrating. Think their bottom six needs an energy guy (or two) who consistently engages physically and greasy play in hard areas across the ice. Optimally that's a 3C that helps bring this tempo early. I see this role as kind of an informal 'captain'/leader of the bottom six that sets the tone for high energy and work rate for the support level of this roster. Attention to detail has also slipped back into this team's game.

Playing a forty minute game with their top skill guys able to pull out inconsistent effort can work in the regular season. However it won't the deeper one wants and expects to go during the winning season. Complacency gets beat in the playoffs.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Couldn't one say Skinners good games only occur in relatively meaningless regular season games, and then only at certain times, and that when games are integral he shits the bed?

Wheres the comments on run support? Skinner just finished losing a game in which his team got 5 goals and several EV goals.

Pickard just played a game where his team scored 1 goal for the duration of it, NEVER scored EV all game, and got the late 2nd goal luckily also on PP due to a puck going off a Wild player skate. Basically an own goal.

Pickard got no run support last night, Oilers had nothing going offensively outside of Drai, and Oilers got zero goals EV. How does any team expect wins that way?

I pretty much lol at that. The poster just started talking about my bias and then starts counting goals that were called back to pile up on Pickard. In the same minutes the poster is doing that. There was also several Wild shots that were taken back for some reason in the shot count. The shot keeping was wierd. For instance Wild had 14 shots after 2nd period. half an hour later they determine it with slide rules and yard sticks to be 13 shots lol.

lol at counting goals that were called back. Do you hate Pickard?
You actually did exactly that with Koskinen in a game they won & I called you out for it.
Glad to see you now realize how ridiculous that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad