Post-Game Talk: Out Goalied Oilers lose to the Wild again

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
One silver lining of them hitting a rough patch before the TDL is it highlights where the flaws are.

For my money, the first upgrade should be on the defence. A better blueline impacts everything, including the other other 2.

The one argument I'd hear is if you think Broberg is ready for an NHL role, with him and Kulak taking on Ceci's #4 role (i.e. more Kulak to start, and you see if Broberg can be weaned into the role), and that cap space going towards a forward and a trustworth option for the #7.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak/Broberg-Nurse
Broberg/Kulak-Desharnais

I admit, I don't hate that as it would fix the lack of speed. Plus it does seem like the better rentals are forwards with slim picking on defence (outside of the Flames).
I think the team is in big trouble if Ceci is in the way out and nobody better is coming to the blueline. Broberg has been trusted to play all of 10 games this year, if he’s counted on to be a number 4 or to carry Desharnais I think it’s an issue.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I said it already back in November and I still think it's the case that something is still bothering McDavid.

It's the only explanation I can find not just for his goal production being cut in half, but him consistently passing up shots while the shots he does take are of a markedly decreased quality than normal.

Not sure if it's the oblique thing or a wrist or what it is but I strongly doubt he's 100%.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Minimum ticket price for this game at one point today was 120bucks. lolol. who would pay that?

Somebody with no familiarity with how games against the Wild always go I guess.

This can't be a happy crowd going home from this one. But imagine spending your week paycheck on two tickets, booze, concessions, parking, and its like 400bucks hole in your pocket. I'd be more pissed about that and therefore never go at todays prices.

This game reminds me of this:

Once went to a WHA Oilers game and against the Minnesota Fighting Saints and the shot clock read Oilers 51 Minny 19, and the scoreboard read Minnesota 5-1 Win. You want frustration, that was some frustration. lol but the ticket prices were only 7bucks premium seats.

I cleared $700 for mine so the person would have paid about $900 via TM. I’m thinking it had to be a Wild fan.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Minimum ticket price for this game at one point today was 120bucks. lolol. who would pay that?

Somebody with no familiarity with how games against the Wild always go I guess.

This can't be a happy crowd going home from this one. But imagine spending your week paycheck on two tickets, booze, concessions, parking, and its like 400bucks hole in your pocket. I'd be more pissed about that and therefore never go at todays prices.

This game reminds me of this:

Once went to a WHA Oilers game and against the Minnesota Fighting Saints and the shot clock read Oilers 51 Minny 19, and the scoreboard read Minnesota 5-1 Win. You want frustration, that was some frustration. lol but the ticket prices were only 7bucks premium seats.
Yup like I said before the game, who would actually pay to go see this game. Team only plays one period a game and to see the Wild stifle them.

Don't have a good feeling about tonight's either.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Something feels off with this team…inconsistent efforts, big drop-off in production from McD/Drai, the PP has been brutal at times, Leon looks pissed off all the time, Connor has had more ‘meh’ games this season than in any since his rookie year. This doesn’t pertain to last night specifically, they scored a beautiful PP goal and look great at times but overall it’s been hard to feel confident in the Oilers this season. Even during the win streak they had some really dodgy efforts, they don’t feel like a cohesive team right now, like the well-oiled machine they were down the stretch and into the 1st round the last couple seasons.

Reactions: Duke74 and Trow

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
AS much as we want to put all the blame on Pickard, the forwards are just as responsible.

Too much emphasis put on the save and not enough credit given to the forward making the shot.

Minnespota got a really.. really fortunate bounce.
Pickard was not great by any means.

Our forwards ability to control the puck, play, and generate was good.
Our forwards ability to finish these plays... BEYOND horrible. bottom team in the league at finishing chances.

What I find interesting as I'm watching McDavid and he's working his ass off and generating shots. But I'm not getting excited when he attacks the net.. He whifffs sooooooo much lately it's rediculous. To the point I really don't get excited when he makes such nice plays because he's butchering the finish. I feel this sums up the team. Great job at generating and controlling the play a lot. Piss poor.. and I mean PISS POOR finishing. Every goalie is an all star against this team.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
11135555-6FFF-4BB7-8073-D940F6205137.gif

Not our best effort all around and still took a big time goalie effort to get by us.

Top 6 has been slipping back into some of their bad defensive habits. Minnesota took advantage of it last night.

Big one against Calgary tonight, let’s put another nail in their season.

Reactions: TB12 and capazzo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One silver lining of them hitting a rough patch before the TDL is it highlights where the flaws are.

For my money, the first upgrade should be on the defence. A better blueline impacts everything, including the other other 2.

The one argument I'd hear is if you think Broberg is ready for an NHL role, with him and Kulak taking on Ceci's #4 role (i.e. more Kulak to start, and you see if Broberg can be weaned into the role), and that cap space going towards a forward and a trustworth option for the #7.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak/Broberg-Nurse
Broberg/Kulak-Desharnais

I admit, I don't hate that as it would fix the lack of speed. Plus it does seem like the better rentals are forwards with slim picking on defence (outside of the Flames).
So your idea to fix the defence is to make it worse?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Amazingly the turnaround was all about great coaching but when we lose a few, our goaltending just sucks.

Maybe we should change coaches again & maybe the goalies will decide to play better?

Just a thought.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Been saying it all year, this is a poorly constructed team and in its current state won’t win anything. Absolutely need a new goalie, top 4 D and a scoring winger. Zero chance we get that this year and it will be another pissed away season.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Boldy fakes one timing that. Everybody on ice expected Boldy to one time it including Nurse, Pickard. Was a brilliant decision for Boldy to instead walk puck forward with pace and then drill it home. Boldy on that play created a different shooting angle that left the goalie helpless because it was coming across bang bang play at speed.

Sorry but theres no way I blame Pickard on a goal like that moving right across the slot with speed. This was also a puck turnover and a brilliantly executed play by the Wild. They do these plays and score a lot on them.

Wild don't generate tons of Ozone time but when they are there they are dangerous. Especially on turnovers which this was.

It was in incredibly play by Boldy.

I’ve watched this play several times in slow-mo just to see if I can see what you’re seeing and I don’t. The pass winds up in Boldy’s feet because Nurse tipped it and slowed it down. Pickard is still on his feet then and as Boldy chips it by Nurse, he’s in the butterfly.

I still put that one on Pickard (and the D, especially Ceci trying to bat it out if the air right before). Would Pickard have stopped him anyways? Who knows, but he’s definitely not going to stop anything playing that like a video game goalie.

I noticed one other thing with that goal, Draisaitl & Perry didn’t take one stride down the ice to get back and help defensively. Draisaitl takes a stride just inside Minnesota’s blue line and he glided the entire way back, Perry the same, the other forward went for a line change as Minny was going up ice. Tons of blame from everyone in blue on the ice to share for that one going in.

Anyways, new game today and need to beat the heathen Flames. Yesterday was yesterday :nod:.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Welp, on to the Battle of Alberta to hopefully provide the salve to this wound.
This team has been junk at 5x5 since the AllStar break.
If they continue to play the same poor quality team defence at 5x5 then they will lose tonight as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad