Post-Game Talk: Out Goalied Oilers lose to the Wild again

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai missed the net by two feet numerous times on the far side again.
Not gonna critique him today. he was the only guy to score till late in game and he got the assist on the other goal. EVERYBODY else on the team didn't cash anything. The 2nd goal we got was closer to an own goal going off a Wild skate right to goal line where Hyman stuffed it home. We don't even get that one without a lucky bounce. Where the rest of the Oilers offense tonight? MIA?

Perry, Kane etc were awful in this game.

Reactions: BlackDogg

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
How is it that Minnesota has been the same B.S. team for like 20 years now!!! Never good enough to win anything but always good enough to be a pain in the butt.

Erickson Ek stood out to me as the embodiment of Wild hockey tonight - skilled but not that skilled, clutch and grab up all day long.

Yuck ! Please beat the Flames and Kings

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It is crazy how few snipers we have on this roster. Why has players who can snipe never been a priority for this organization?
Wanted Toffoli or Hoffman for years. Boldy would be good. Sigh.

Kane is the closest we have to a medium range sniper when he's feeling it. People think its odd when I say Drai isn't one. Drai is a set piece goal scorer, rarely a between the dots slot sniper. We don't have anybody that scores off rush wing either like Kempe.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They aren't upgrading the goaltending, highly unlikely we see a Ceci upgrade either. It's more than likely to be a depth Dman and a depth forward or two. I think it's going to be a relatively quiet deadline for most buyers (outside of Vegas of course) because there's just too many teams in the playoff race so it's a shrunk sellers market. Stauffer even alluded to this at intermission. Keep expectations low.
Wont be hard to keep expectations low when Draisaitl and McDavid walk in 1.5 and 2.5 years respectively because Ken Holland has wasted yet another season with goaltending that was never good enough to win a cup.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
At the same time, there's not a single team in the league that wouldn't have a reasonable expectation of winning a game in which they score 2 goals and allow only 18 shots and no pp goals.
Sure, I get it. I’m not absolving the goaltending. All 3 goals were bad. Once again though this team was chasing the game all night. They had 1 goal late in the game tonight. Lots of players aren’t playing well and they haven’t for a while. There were a lot of mirages in that win streak. We talked a lot during the back half of that how it didn’t look like they were playing well. It was easy to ignore while we were winning but now that we’ve lost a bunch there’s no point in not acknowledging it anymore.

Reactions: soothsayer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How is it that Minnesota has been the same B.S. team for like 20 years now!!! Never good enough to win anything but always good enough to be a pain in the butt.

Erickson Ek stood out to me as the embodiment of Wild hockey tonight - skilled but not that skilled, clutch and grab up all day long.

Yuck ! Please beat the Flames and Kings
Ek has a great shot which he showed again on the goal called back. Minny actually have snipers like Ek and Boldy. You don't notice them until goal light is flashing. Thats how it is with one shot scorers that quickly cloak into premium scoring spots. We don't really have those guys strange as it is to say.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I think it's time I stop checking in on the score in the middle of work

It was tied when I took a peak at the game and put the radio stream on. Then the wild scores twice........

Reactions: McTonyBrar

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It is crazy how few snipers we have on this roster. Why has players who can snipe never been a priority for this organization?
Yeah ideally you’d like to have a guy who can score 60 alongside a guy who makes a habit of putting up 50 a year and then a couple of guys who can score 30 a year and then maybe amother guy who’s good for 20.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sure, I get it. I’m not absolving the goaltending. All 3 goals were bad. Once again though this team was chasing the game all night. They had 1 goal late in the game tonight. Lots of players aren’t playing well and they haven’t for a while. There were a lot of mirages in that win streak. We talked a lot during the back half of that how it didn’t look like they were playing well. It was easy to ignore while we were winning but now that we’ve lost a bunch there’s no point in not acknowledging it anymore.
Gonna say it again. This was not a bad goal, it was a brilliantly taken goal by boldy. Instead of the one timer he plays puck forward, then snipes. Perfectly taken goal. With him going cross ice and Pickard having to respect the one timer possibility this was near impossible to stop.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
3 garbage goals? Nobody stops the 2nd Boldy goal for sure. Take a look at it again. That was a fantastic play. Boldy scores there because he faked he was going to one time and then changed shooting angle, then scored. Cerebral play. Brilliantly taken goal.

Pickard is also an after thought pickup being paid league minimum. Wasn't even supposed to be getting NHL games. McD is making 12.5M a year and scoring 21 goals.. He needs to finish.
Yep all three. Way too far over to his left on the 2-1 goal. On #3, for some reason he dropped into his butterfly without even a shot coming then took himself out of the play by coming forward when Boldy was going left instead of tracking and staying with him. I wondered how the hell he wound up 2 feet in front of the blue paint. Horrendous read and gave Boldy an empty net to shoot at.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
It’s his rediculous paddle I swear. Good for one timers on the PP and backhand sauce. Absolutely horrible for actually picking a corner or a finesse shot.
He scored 50-plus with it in the last 3 years. Don’t know what’s up with him this year. Unless it’s that pp one-timer, he can’t hit the broad side of a barn door this year.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Wanted Toffoli or Hoffman for years. Boldy would be good. Sigh.

Kane is the closest we have to a medium range sniper when he's feeling it. People think its odd when I say Drai isn't one. Drai is a set piece goal scorer, rarely a between the dots slot sniper. We don't have anybody that scores off rush wing either like Kempe.

Yup, they have never targeted players who can beat the goalie independently. Always relying on beating the tendy with a one timer or passing the puck into the net. These last two games have really highlighted that missing aspect of this team

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah ideally you’d like to have a guy who can score 60 alongside a guy who makes a habit of putting up 50 a year and then a couple of guys who can score 30 a year and then maybe amother guy who’s good for 20.
Not sure if you're being flippant. Its a valid concern. Oilers don't have between the dots slot or high slot scorers. Closest thing we have is when Nuge or Booch step up and shoot. We lack traditional range snipers on this team. we have a lot of guys that score on set pieces or around net. What this means is teams can cheat coverage in ways and collapse or be a box, they don't have to worry about the slot areas between dots that a lot of teams can score from. A Boldy or an Ek would give us that added weapon in a spot we don't have it.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He's incredible and the best player by far. But even he would probably tell you he hasn't been able to score nearly as much as he should and has left plenty of great chances on the table. He'll get over it. I honestly think he needs a goal for his confidence more than Brown. Brown is a lost cause.
Bigger issue was line 1 losing the EV battle. Very rare for that to happen this year. First goal against all 3 forwards get caught up ice notable for Foegele missing high coverage support on a McDavid rush. Late first goal they go to break trailing. Reality is McDavid's line has been heavily tilting the ice and outscoring opposition. He's 17 points ahead of the next Oiler. Definitely want to see McDavid be more selfish but tonight he led the team in shots. Was the other end of the ice that was problematic.

Draisaitl a decent game. But 2 shots is not enough for this team's second best player. Nugent Hopkins moved to that line with one shot. Not much happened throughout the line-up.

This team has to find other finishers when the game's best player isn't on his best game.

Reactions: Duke74

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
who on this roster beats goalies independently? Joke all you want but it isnt a skill we have
It's because the Oilers don't have a killing mentality. You can count the number of times a game when they pass off a shot in the slot and the puck will inevitably be out of the zone soon after.

Then they switch to "Just fire from anywhere and hope luck is on our side."

Every time McDavid passes it when he's in the slot I die a little inside. You scored 60 goals last year buddy and you might not hit 30 this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep all three. Way too far over to his left on the 2-1 goal. On #3, for some reason he dropped into his butterfly without even a shot coming then took himself out of the play by coming forward when Boldy was going left instead of tracking and staying with him. I wondered how the hell he wound up 2 feet in front of the blue paint. Horrendous read and gave Boldy an empty net to shoot at.
Boldy fakes one timing that. Everybody on ice expected Boldy to one time it including Nurse, Pickard. Was a brilliant decision for Boldy to instead walk puck forward with pace and then drill it home. Boldy on that play created a different shooting angle that left the goalie helpless because it was coming across bang bang play at speed.

Sorry but theres no way I blame Pickard on a goal like that moving right across the slot with speed. This was also a puck turnover and a brilliantly executed play by the Wild. They do these plays and score a lot on them.

Wild don't generate tons of Ozone time but when they are there they are dangerous. Especially on turnovers which this was.

It was in incredibly play by Boldy.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Gonna say it again. This was not a bad goal, it was a brilliantly taken goal by boldy. Instead of the one timer he plays puck forward, then snipes. Perfectly taken goal. With him going cross ice and Pickard having to respect the one timer possibility this was near impossible to stop.
Fine. I was too angry at Ceci and then the 3 forwards who once again weren’t ready to react to a bad play in their own end to notice exactly how the puck went in on that one.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Could have got Zary, Guhle, Mercer, Neighbours. Instead we got Holloway.
We wouldn't have prioritized their development and we'd be in the same boat with any of the alternatives. Unfortunately, our scouting, front office, and coaching staff have all cucked our ability to draft and develop any depth talent and it will likely ruin the mcdrai era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad