Post-Game Talk: Out Goalied Oilers lose to the Wild again

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Been saying it all year, this is a poorly constructed team and in its current state won’t win anything. Absolutely need a new goalie, top 4 D and a scoring winger. Zero chance we get that this year and it will be another pissed away season.
It just completely baffles me how we have a GM, who played the position professionally, put such little to no effort in insulating this team with solid goaltending. Instead, he’s chosen: a guy who was still decent but over the hill, a guy with known mental lapses in his game, a rookie (now sophomore) and his backup is a guy who is over 30 and has had very limited nhl action in several seasons. Pickard has performed admirably in his games (minus last night) but this duo isn’t taking them to where they want to go.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Outshot them 24-6 in the 3rd and get out scored 2-1

both absolutely stinkers too

How many games has this team lost this year because of terrible goaltending?

And we're 2 weeks out until the trade deadline and its still unaddressed..

That's a very good question. We have 19 regulation losses and 2 OT losses and I'm betting at least half of those were due to bad goaltending.

Reactions: sepHF

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve watched this play several times in slow-mo just to see if I can see what you’re seeing and I don’t. The pass winds up in Boldy’s feet because Nurse tipped it and slowed it down. Pickard is still on his feet then and as Boldy chips it by Nurse, he’s in the butterfly.

I still put that one on Pickard (and the D, especially Ceci trying to bat it out if the air right before). Would Pickard have stopped him anyways? Who knows, but he’s definitely not going to stop anything playing that like a video game goalie.

I noticed one other thing with that goal, Draisaitl & Perry didn’t take one stride down the ice to get back and help defensively. Draisaitl takes a stride just inside Minnesota’s blue line and he glided the entire way back, Perry the same, the other forward went for a line change as Minny was going up ice. Tons of blame from everyone in blue on the ice to share for that one going in.

Anyways, new game today and need to beat the heathen Flames. Yesterday was yesterday :nod:.
Sorry to belabor the point. The quick pass goes from left to right which could be a one timer. The way Boldy takes puck even looks as if it could be one timer. But then Boldy moves back across (this represents two quick directions Pickard has to track in a split second. It was a bang bang play) To his credit Pickard did move across properly for the slot chance, but then with boldy moving back across the grain its too much, and he slots it by Pickard who is helpless. I don't think you're seeing all the lateral motion involved in the play, and at speed.

As well watching in slo mo gives distortion that the play was manageable. That play was extremely difficult for a goalie, and the read on what Boldy was going to do harder, and unexpected.

cheers

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I cleared $700 for mine so the person would have paid about $900 via TM. I’m thinking it had to be a Wild fan.
Thats just crazy to me. I paid 99bucks to see Pink Floyd. Paid 99bucks for tickets to SC winning game in 85 but that included pre game drinks and lunch buffet. Would never pay todays prices to see events. Didn't the Superbowl cost like 9K for a ticket. Its to the point where top rung entertainment can get lost.

This veers off topic but we renounced religion just so that Taylor Swift and Patrick Mahomes can be lord and saviour. I really think humans are hard wired to worship something and will find anything to worship.

When Taylor Swift is the most powerful influential person on the planet we have a problem that looks worse than the Barbie movie.. lord help us, sarcasm intended.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the team is in big trouble if Ceci is in the way out and nobody better is coming to the blueline. Broberg has been trusted to play all of 10 games this year, if he’s counted on to be a number 4 or to carry Desharnais I think it’s an issue.
It's going to be difficult for Broberg to carry himself, let alone anyone else, if he's in the infirmary most of the time. The guy is a walking bandaid and made of glass.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Funny how some look at Pickards games logically, but then are blinded by their Skinner hate to see every goal as 100% his fault.
Its fair comment in someway that it could be confusing.

Heres the thing. I don't suffer fools gladly. Skinner was blessed to get the keys to be #1 to this org. He hardly had to do anything to do it. Just be an AHL goalie. Its like he was anointed. The other thing is I detest laziness. Skinner on his own account until recently didn't train, didn't work on conditioning, he couldn't lift shit, he couldn't do pushups, couldn't go up a flight of stairs. Its evident in every aspect of his game how unathletic he is. It drives me.

I'm just a punter and I take physical exercise and healthy seriously. Have all my life. Then you see a pro athlete that most of his life was just a sloth, again by his own admission. He wanted to be a pro athlete, and lazy at the same time. I can't reconcile that.

In contrast Pickard is athletic, moves quick to pucks, moves quick up and down and has done decent work on flexibility. he's almost had the opposite career path of Skinner, nothing handed to him, buried in AHL, had to work hard for every crumb etc.

It isn't hate but I dislike Skinner. Skinner is basically Dustin Penner in goal. Worse because Skinner can't even skate well. If you saw him at a rink some youth would be passing him.

Last edited:
Reactions: elmeroil and Kinibo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually four on 19 shots, Pickards good games that every one seams to judge him on were against the Ducks and Hawks. Out side of that he’s mostly been a sub .900 goalie this season.
Couldn't one say Skinners good games only occur in relatively meaningless regular season games, and then only at certain times, and that when games are integral he shits the bed?

Wheres the comments on run support? Skinner just finished losing a game in which his team got 5 goals and several EV goals.

Pickard just played a game where his team scored 1 goal for the duration of it, NEVER scored EV all game, and got the late 2nd goal luckily also on PP due to a puck going off a Wild player skate. Basically an own goal.

Pickard got no run support last night, Oilers had nothing going offensively outside of Drai, and Oilers got zero goals EV. How does any team expect wins that way?

If your going that route count the shot that came back too
I pretty much lol at that. The poster just started talking about my bias and then starts counting goals that were called back to pile up on Pickard. In the same minutes the poster is doing that. There was also several Wild shots that were taken back for some reason in the shot count. The shot keeping was wierd. For instance Wild had 14 shots after 2nd period. half an hour later they determine it with slide rules and yard sticks to be 13 shots lol.

Actually four on 19 shots, Pickards good games that every one seams to judge him on were against the Ducks and Hawks. Out side of that he’s mostly been a sub .900 goalie this season.
lol at counting goals that were called back. Do you hate Pickard?

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thats just crazy to me. I paid 99bucks to see Pink Floyd. Paid 99bucks for tickets to SC winning game in 85 but that included pre game drinks and lunch buffet. Would never pay todays prices to see events. Didn't the Superbowl cost like 9K for a ticket. Its to the point where top rung entertainment can get lost.

This veers off topic but we renounced religion just so that Taylor Swift and Patrick Mahomes can be lord and saviour. I really think humans are hard wired to worship something and will find anything to worship.

When Taylor Swift is the most powerful influential person on the planet we have a problem that looks worse than the Barbie movie.. lord help us, sarcasm intended.

You do not wanna know what I paid for Super Bowl XLIX tickets….Pats vs Seahawks. (But goddam were they ever great seats and Mrs5 got to see Katy Perry!)

Yup sadly gone are the days where concerts and games are affordable. I was looking at some old WHA ticket stubs I saved from 1977, lower bowl Northlands end zone Zamboni entrance side were $6 each. $6!!!!

That doesn’t even buy you a medium iced chai latte extra ice extra dark with foam double shot side of caramel with vegan style goats milk whipped cream in a recyclable cup, disintegrating paper straw, plastic spoon with bag tax these days.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
One HELL of a game!!!

f***in rights! I was in a suite with a couple dozen die hard Pats fans. It went from somber to pure pandemonium in seconds at the end. I recorded it for posterity thinking it’s a Seattle win and the reaction videos of the Pats fans are absolutely priceless!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You do not wanna know what I paid for Super Bowl XLIX tickets….Pats vs Seahawks. (But goddam were they ever great seats and Mrs5 got to see Katy Perry!)

Yup sadly gone are the days where concerts and games are affordable. I was looking at some old WHA ticket stubs I saved from 1977, lower bowl Northlands end zone Zamboni entrance side were $6 each. $6!!!!

That doesn’t even buy you a medium iced chai latte extra ice extra dark with foam double shot side of caramel with vegan style goats milk whipped cream in a recyclable cup, disintegrating paper straw, plastic spoon with bag tax these days.
I have tons of old ticket stubs put in a binder organized by category. All the concerts, sporting events, Grey Cups etc in there. Lots in there. I'll never forget that when my dad started taking me to games when I was 8 and sports was a working class entertainment. If the Oil Kings didn't play well Bill Hunter would promise fans a free ticket to a next game of their choosing. At that time the orgs appreciated its fans and only sought to give fans something, to put a smile on their face, to give them something to cheer for. Now its take, take, take.

I know my dad, and he never would have even started going to games if it was always like this. I would be sports agnostic too probably, or just watching on TV. (heh, which is where I landed anyway)

ps the Hudsons Bay club had the tickets for 3bucks. Would save the difference and eat pizza at Coliseum Pizza and Steakhouse after the game. Me and my friends were living large. ;)

One HELL of a game!!!
At least it was the Pats and Tom Brady. i could at least see being a fan of that. ;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Something feels off with this team…inconsistent efforts, big drop-off in production from McD/Drai, the PP has been brutal at times, Leon looks pissed off all the time, Connor has had more ‘meh’ games this season than in any since his rookie year. This doesn’t pertain to last night specifically, they scored a beautiful PP goal and look great at times but overall it’s been hard to feel confident in the Oilers this season. Even during the win streak they had some really dodgy efforts, they don’t feel like a cohesive team right now, like the well-oiled machine they were down the stretch and into the 1st round the last couple seasons.
Drai was sure incensed after the PP goal he scored. I echo thoughts that something is wrong but I think they have been since last spring and team not getting further. Drai considered that season a failure and said so.

Drais no show against Boston also makes me wonder if Pacman and the Bruins spent all ASG filling his head about being a Bruin. My worst fear in regards to team is that Drais does not resign here and goes elsewhere. I think thats already in his head. This could be disconnected swan song we are seeing here.

The only other answer is that McDrai are holding all their light under a bushel in wait for the playoffs. But I don't think so. Dissatisfaction seems to be around.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
f***in rights! I was in a suite with a couple dozen die hard Pats fans. It went from somber to pure pandemonium in seconds at the end. I recorded it for posterity thinking it’s a Seattle win and the reaction videos of the Pats fans are absolutely priceless!!!
Well, Pete Carroll did promise Robert Kraft he would win a Superbowl for him!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Drai was sure incensed after the PP goal he scored. I echo thoughts that something is wrong but I think they have been since last spring and team not getting further. Drai considered that season a failure and said so.

Drais no show against Boston also makes me wonder if Pacman and the Bruins spent all ASG filling his head about being a Bruin. My worst fear in regards to team is that Drais does not resign here and goes elsewhere. I think thats already in his head. This could be disconnected swan song we are seeing here.

The only other answer is that McDrai are holding all their light under a bushel in wait for the playoffs. But I don't think so. Dissatisfaction seems to be around.
I'm not sure how any of the players can be satisfied and happy with the way things have gone this February. Trouble is, Drai has the type of persona to wear his feelings on his sleeve, and I'm sure he probably thought, "Okay, we got a PP goal and tied it, but we've been playing like shit so far and are probably lucky it's not 4-1 for the Wild." Messier wore his emotions on his sleeve, but mostly covered up the negative ones, where Drai tends to let those show far too often, and other lesser players take their cue from that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not sure how any of the players can be satisfied and happy with the way things have gone this February. Trouble is, Drai has the type of persona to wear his feelings on his sleeve, and I'm sure he probably thought, "Okay, we got a PP goal and tied it, but we've been playing like shit so far and are probably lucky it's not 4-1 for the Wild." Messier wore his emotions on his sleeve, but mostly covered up the negative ones, where Drai tends to let those show far too often, and other lesser players take their cue from that.
Pretty sure when McDavid is smashing his stick into bits after the Bruins game (and has done this before this season) he's wearing it on sleeve as well. Both of them seem very frustrated with their lot and I kind of thought they would be. They see all their cohorts like Eichel, Mackinnon etc with SC rings and they got none. After years of pounding hard carrying the team and org I wonder if some work to rule is finally settling in this season. Neither seems all in or completely happy about the state of affairs.

Myself I can understand it. The main thing seperating this team from a Cup is how badly this org is run. Last night they get Boldy, who should have been an Oiler expertly pumping two goals by them. Night before they get Pacman, Drais friend from Boston unwrapping the Oilers starting goalie.

I dunno, some envy might come into things.

i get your point with Drai but this season McD is equally off with displays of anger and rage on ice again.

Reactions: Stoneman89

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

Superbowl was very expensive. My buddy has gone to every one now for almost 8 years. He paid 15K each for this one in Vegas. Him, his wife, and he took a couple employees

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Superbowl was very expensive. My buddy has gone to every one now for almost 8 years. He paid 15K each for this one in Vegas. Him, his wife, and he took a couple employees
One could tour several countries in Europe with family for months with that kind of money. I just don't get it.

We're talking these events up like they're the resurrection of Christ coming on tour near you.

What I'm getting at is this uber fascination with celebrity and biggest pro sporting events, its another signpost of lost society. Kind of like things were in the 50's when Elvis was "King" In retrospect the 50's were pretty backwards and lost and I think the present time could be seen that way too.

For sure people can do whatever they want with money but I think the worship of random things is potentially harmful. It smells like addiction.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
One could tour several countries in Europe with family for months with that kind of money. I just don't get it.

We're talking these events up like they're the resurrection of Christ coming on tour near you.

What I'm getting at is this uber fascination with celebrity and biggest pro sporting events, its another signpost of lost society. Kind of like things were in the 50's when Elvis was "King" In retrospect the 50's were pretty backwards and lost and I think the present time could be seen that way too.

For sure people can do whatever they want with money but I think the worship of random things is potentially harmful. It smells like addiction.
He is very good with $$ (doesn't waste it) lol. He just splurges on stuff he is passionate about. Makes a lot of it. You can expense a lot of that. Taking your employees on a business trip, etc. Done well and makes multiple 7 figures a year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He is very good with $$ (doesn't waste it) lol. He just splurges on stuff he is passionate about. Makes a lot of it. You can expense a lot of that. Taking your employees on a business trip, etc. Done well and makes multiple 7 figures a year.
Given that he spent 60K on superbowl tickets I kind of sense he makes a lot. heh

To put in perspective though I spent 81K on our first house.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

You sound like a frugal practical German to me. :sarcasm: In fact you sound like my old Grandfather!

I don’t know if I’d call it worship. People have different priorities and will do what they can afford. If you go to the Super Bowl but can’t house feed or clothe your family then you’ve got a priority problem.

I don’t know why people would spend tens of thousands of dollars on designer clothes when a $20 tshirt and $39 track pants does the trick or spending a dime on a tattoo lol. But those same people would look at me sideways for spending $6000 on a T Rex tooth. (Yes I have one lol)!

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Given that he spent 60K on superbowl tickets I kind of sense he makes a lot. heh

To put in perspective though I spent 81K on our first house.
Lets just say his house he built a few years ago here costs 6M+ and he already paid it off lol

Wow 81K. I remember that is what my parents sold their first condo for. My first house cost just over 400 here 12 years ago. Got another house in the 600s recently. It's already valued at over 720. Lots of people keep moving to Alberta and Edmonton. Even Calgarians are getting priced out. Tough times.

Lets hope Edmonton has the reverse of this game against Calgary!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You sound like a frugal practical German to me. :sarcasm: In fact you sound like my old Grandfather!

I don’t know if I’d call it worship. People have different priorities and will do what they can afford. If you go to the Super Bowl but can’t house feed or clothe your family then you’ve got a priority problem.

I don’t know why people would spend tens of thousands of dollars on designer clothes when a $20 tshirt and $39 track pants does the trick or spending a dime on a tattoo lol. But those same people would look at me sideways for spending $6000 on a T Rex tooth. (Yes I have one lol)!
You should have been able to buy a full set of Marc Bolans teeth for that kinda cash.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad