OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I completely agree on Wes Anderson. I literally didn't like any of his films to the point where I thought they were unwatchable. I thought people liked the Royal Tannenbaums because it was cool to like it the way people fawned over Being John Malkovich.

However The Grand Budapest Hotel was just movie magic to me. It all came together in such a Haley's Comet type of way that I'm also quite confident I'll never like another Wes Anderson film.

Also you can add Paul Thomas Anderson and Michael Bay to directors I cannot stand. PTA has this amazing "talent" of however long his film is...It feels doubly as long.

Basically as long as you have a story to tell, try to tell it, but not put your ego above the film, I'll at least respect it.

I feel like I'm missing so many from my list, but cannot think right now.

Also just watched Arrival with Amy Adams and thought it was great. I don't like M. Night Shyamalan, but if you liked Signs then Arrival is definitely in the same genre (just much better). I think Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) should be on everyone's radar now.

The Coens are like that for me... love Fargo and A Serious Man and then it is a lot of misses for me.... Wes Anderson, just too much to take in some times..

PT Anderson.. wow, he looked very promising with Hard Eight, Magnolia and Boogie Nights.. but you are so right that ego got in the way... The Master, Punch Drunk Love, Inherent Vice, ... wow just bad stuff

I also agree about telling a story and putting the ego away, I can watch a movie that tells a simple story even if it is not good or original more than some mosaic wannabe mindfarts...

Arrival missed for me... wanted to like it, but it didn't say too much in the end... Sicario has a sequel coming out, decent movie.

Being John Malkovich... overrated and I am a huge John Cusack fan.

Some directors rarely fail for me...

No matter how dumb the movie, Farrelly Brothers always entertain
Woody Allen (despite his horrible human character) rarely failed until recently
Richard Linklater is awesome (Boyhood, Slackers, Suburbia, Dazed and Confused and last night's movie for me Last Flag Standing
Clint Eastwood .... storytelling 101 but effective
Director of Sideways, About Frazier etc... great director although I heard Downsizing was awful

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
You were in direct marketing in the 90's and at Ground Round during the Easter Eve marathon.... my first business (still have it) which I started at 25 makes my last name notorious in that industry, did you work for a catalog company or list broker. we still have that business but it peaked in the 2000's and then I pivoted around 2012 to a bigger business.

Glengarry Gary Ross... one of the best screenplays of all time... Jack Lemmon last' hurrah, Pacino in a different kind of role, and Kevin spacey's breakout role...... 2nd place ... steak knives... 3rd place.. you're fired... Alec Baldwin at his finest.

Timesharing is brutal...

Royal Prestige

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Pretty cool list, not a Star Wars fan here. Risky Business was the movie of high school,
I was beginning to dislike the Star Wars franchise and what Lucas was doing, but now that Disney runs things, the difference is like night and day. Love what they've done.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Top shows from the past 15 years:
1. Battlestar Galactica (SyFy, not ABC series from the 70's)
2. Homeland
3. Sons of Anarchy
4. Burn Notice
5. The Americans
6. 24
7. Game of Thrones
8. The Sopranos
9. House of Cards
10. Deadwood
11. Orange is the New Black
12. The Path
13. Shuteye (Sadly just canceled by Hulu after only 2 seasons :( )

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
If we're throwing favorites out there my TV would be:

1. The Wire
2. Game of Thrones
3. Justified
4. Futurama
5. Lost
6. The Shield
7. 3rd Rock from the Sun
8. Bob's Burgers
9. True Detective (S1)
10. Bosch
11. Breaking Bad

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Bizarre top 10 movie list you've got. How does High Fidelity and Tootsie get on there? If I had a top list it would be something like...

1. Shawshank
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Trainspotting
  4. Annie Hall
  5. Braveheart
  6. Aliens
  7. Snatch
  8. (500) Days of Summer
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  10. Sideways
  11. Igby Goes Down
  12. Silence of the Lambs
  13. Goodfellas
  14. Finding Nemo
  15. The Big Lebowski
  16. No Country for Old Men

I just saw The Big Lebowski for the first time a few months ago. That is as bizarre of a movie as I've ever seen. John Goodman is NOT John Goodman in that. And as a huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, seeing Flea in it was a real treat.

Nothing makes me laugh more than "That rug really tied the room together!"

Reactions: Strummergas

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Goodfellas is the best movie ever, it has so many quotes, and captures the feel of Long Island in the wood paneling era... Ray Liotta should have had a better career

1. Goodfellas
2. Annie Hall
3. Boyhood
4. Swingers
5. High Fidelity
6. Almost Famous
7. Godfather
8. There's Something About Mary
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Tootsie

TV shows current - How to get Away with Murder, Crashing, Suits, The Affair, Billions, Sneaky Pete, Better Call Saul

Super bowl - going to work out at the gym... no Giants, no interest

What? No Road House?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The Coens are like that for me... love Fargo and A Serious Man and then it is a lot of misses for me.... Wes Anderson, just too much to take in some times..

PT Anderson.. wow, he looked very promising with Hard Eight, Magnolia and Boogie Nights.. but you are so right that ego got in the way... The Master, Punch Drunk Love, Inherent Vice, ... wow just bad stuff

I also agree about telling a story and putting the ego away, I can watch a movie that tells a simple story even if it is not good or original more than some mosaic wannabe mindfarts...

Arrival missed for me... wanted to like it, but it didn't say too much in the end... Sicario has a sequel coming out, decent movie.

Being John Malkovich... overrated and I am a huge John Cusack fan.

Some directors rarely fail for me...

No matter how dumb the movie, Farrelly Brothers always entertain
Woody Allen (despite his horrible human character) rarely failed until recently
Richard Linklater is awesome (Boyhood, Slackers, Suburbia, Dazed and Confused and last night's movie for me Last Flag Standing
Clint Eastwood .... storytelling 101 but effective
Director of Sideways, About Frazier etc... great director although I heard Downsizing was awful

Whit Stillman's trilogy was terrific to me:

Metropolitan
Barcelona
Last Days of Disco

Barcelona's dialogue is a masterpiece

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If we're throwing favorites out there my TV would be:

1. The Wire
2. Game of Thrones
3. Justified
4. Futurama
5. Lost
6. The Shield
7. 3rd Rock from the Sun
8. Bob's Burgers
9. True Detective (S1)
10. Bosch
11. Breaking Bad
I need to check out The Wire - I've heard many good things...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Also just watched Arrival with Amy Adams and thought it was great. I don't like M. Night Shyamalan, but if you liked Signs then Arrival is definitely in the same genre (just much better). I think Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) should be on everyone's radar now.

I recently watched Arrival as well, couldn't get past the Terminator-like plot holes...probably because it didn't have explosions like Terminator. Thought the acting and the cinematography were solid, just the damn plot holes knocked it down a few pegs for me.

Reactions: majormet

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Anyone doing the Polar Bear Plunge in LB on Sunday?

Hopefully me! All depends on if my car gets fixed though. Recently got struck with the "Jeep Death Wobble" in my Wrangler on my way home from Vermont last week, dang potholes....

I'll play along and not best, but favorites (no particular order)
1. Jaws
2. Home Alone
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Usual Suspects
5. The Dark Knight
6. Catch Me If You Can
7. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
8. Forrest Gump
9. Inglorious Basterds
10. Saving Private Ryan
11. Friday Night Lights

1. Breaking Bad
2. Band of Brothers
3. True Detective (S1)
4. Sopranos
5. Narcos
6. House of Cards
7. Boardwalk Empire
8. Stranger Things
9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
10. Game of Thrones
11. Peaky Blinders

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hopefully me! All depends on if my car gets fixed though. Recently got struck with the "Jeep Death Wobble" in my Wrangler on my way home from Vermont last week, dang potholes....

1. Jaws
2. Home Alone
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Usual Suspects
5. The Dark Knight
6. Catch Me If You Can
8. Forrest Gump
9. Inglorious Basterds
10. Saving Private Ryan
11. Friday Night Lights

1. Breaking Bad
2. Band of Brothers
3. True Detective (S1)
4. Sopranos
5. Narcos
6. House of Cards
7. Boardwalk Empire
8. Stranger Things
9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
10. Game of Thrones
11. Peaky Blinders

Poor Gus.

Reactions: majormet

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010

1. Jaws
2. Home Alone
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Usual Suspects
5. The Dark Knight
6. Catch Me If You Can
8. Forrest Gump
9. Inglorious Basterds
10. Saving Private Ryan
11. Friday Night Lights

1. Breaking Bad
2. Band of Brothers
3. True Detective (S1)
4. Sopranos
5. Narcos
6. House of Cards
7. Boardwalk Empire
8. Stranger Things
9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
10. Game of Thrones
11. Peaky Blinders

Yikes, I hope that repair goes well. I had to get my tire patched 2 weeks ago. The LI roads are in usual winter shape.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Poor Gus.

One of the most amazing scenes ever. Gilligan prefaced it so well with Hector and Walt in the same room so you knew something was up.

He then gave you a WHAT?! moment followed by another when you thought Gus was going to walk out fine. The tie straightening is so dam good.

Along with Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk, Gus was such a good villain because of how unassuming and calculated he was. Understated bada$$es

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
One of the most amazing scenes ever. Gilligan prefaced it so well with Hector and Walt in the same room so you knew something was up.

He then gave you a WHAT?! moment followed by another when you thought Gus was going to walk out fine. The tie straightening is so dam good.

Along with Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk, Gus was such a good villain because of how unassuming and calculated he was. Understated bada$$es

The scene where Gus is dressed in a suit, doesn't say a darn work dresses into surgical equipment and slashes his employee's neck in front of Jesse and Walter was insane... such a polarizing character from the mild mannered chicken fast food manager doing customer service.

Peter Quinn in Homeland had that way about him, duality of office guy/hitman

Reactions: beach

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The scene where Gus is dressed in a suit, doesn't say a darn work dresses into surgical equipment and slashes his employee's neck in front of Jesse and Walter was insane... such a polarizing character from the mild mannered chicken fast food manager doing customer service.

Peter Quinn in Homeland had that way about him, duality of office guy/hitman
Quinn was a great character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad