OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The Defiant Ones was very good. HBO has done a pretty good job with their short run series. Just finished watching Mosaic which was well done.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm trying to find a new show to watch because I've watched every episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia about 5+ times in the past year and have done a similar thing for Rick and Morty. Need a 30 minute comedy that is actually funny.

Crashing is pretty good on HBO, Bill Burr was on the last episode

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Goodfellas is the best movie ever, it has so many quotes, and captures the feel of Long Island in the wood paneling era... Ray Liotta should have had a better career

1. Goodfellas
2. Annie Hall
3. Boyhood
4. Swingers
5. High Fidelity
6. Almost Famous
7. Godfather
8. There's Something About Mary
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Tootsie

TV shows current - How to get Away with Murder, Crashing, Suits, The Affair, Billions, Sneaky Pete, Better Call Saul

Super bowl - going to work out at the gym... no Giants, no interest

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Glengarry Glen Ross was indeed a great movie Major. It's exactly the way sales was. I was in direct marketing back in early 90's. The biggest high in the world was closing a deal. Then you come in the next day and you hope they don't cancel. There was money in pots pans and dishes. I used to drink it all away back then.

A couple weeks ago I streamed The Hitmans Bodyguard . Now that was a funny movie. I recommend to all.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I loved that show The Black Donnelly’s. First time I saw olivia Wilde in anything. Cancelled after one season unfortunately.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Goodfellas is the best movie ever, it has so many quotes, and captures the feel of Long Island in the wood paneling era... Ray Liotta should have had a better career

1. Goodfellas
2. Annie Hall
3. Boyhood
4. Swingers
5. High Fidelity
6. Almost Famous
7. Godfather
8. There's Something About Mary
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Tootsie

TV shows current - How to get Away with Murder, Crashing, Suits, The Affair, Billions, Sneaky Pete, Better Call Saul

Super bowl - going to work out at the gym... no Giants, no interest

Bizarre top 10 movie list you've got. How does High Fidelity and Tootsie get on there? If I had a top list it would be something like...

1. Shawshank
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Trainspotting
  4. Annie Hall
  5. Braveheart
  6. Aliens
  7. Snatch
  8. (500) Days of Summer
  9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  10. Sideways
  11. Igby Goes Down
  12. Silence of the Lambs
  13. Goodfellas
  14. Finding Nemo
  15. The Big Lebowski
  16. No Country for Old Men

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bizarre top 10 movie list you've got. How does High Fidelity and Tootsie get on there? If I had a top list it would be something like...

1. Shawshank
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Trainspotting
  4. Annie Hall
  5. Braveheart
  6. Aliens
  7. Snatch
  8. (500) Days of Summer
  10. Sideways
  11. Igby Goes Down
  12. Silence of the Lambs
  13. Goodfellas
  14. Finding Nemo
  15. The Big Lebowski

We do agree on some things!

Reactions: periferal and C24

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm probably the only person here that likes him, but Norm Macdonald's special on Netflix is pretty good.

Seen Norm's standup three times over the years. My pal 'n' I met him in 2009 after he'd done a pair of hour-long sets - a good two-thirds of the second set was fresh (and extra-raunchy) content. I often wonder how much of his classic club routines would be impossible to deliver nowadays, but that later set remains the funniest 60 minutes of LOL-til-you-hurt in my entire life.

Reactions: PK Cronin

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I couldn't stop at 10 (in no particular order):

1.Risky Business
2.Star Wars - A New Hope
3.Vegas Vacation
4.Pan's Labyrinth
5.Goodfellas
6.Elf
7.Mulholland Drive
8.Rocky (I)
9.Animal House
10.Midnight Express
11.Titanic
12.Sound of Music
13.V is for Vendetta
14.The Hangover (I)
15.The Breakfast Club

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's been a really bad few weeks for our team. Let's talk about something we can all enjoy.

What's your favorite movie? Mine's Wayne's World. You can judge me all you want, it's the greatest movie of all

What's everyone doing for the Super Bowl?

Just be nice to each other in here!

Matt Damon in the Martian.

And not an Eagles fan,but hoping they can knock off the Patriots.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

1. Shawshank
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Trainspotting
  4. Annie Hall
  5. Braveheart
  6. Aliens
  7. Snatch
  8. (500) Days of Summer
  10. Sideways
  11. Igby Goes Down
  12. Silence of the Lambs
  13. Goodfellas
  14. Finding Nemo
  15. The Big Lebowski

Darn you like some damn good movies 500 Days of Summer and Sideways are both brilliant files, you have great respect for Annie Hall

Tootsie was Dustin Hoffman at his best, just a well acted, comedy of errors, great setup in that movie... High Fidelity captured so much that I relate to, past relationships, music taste snobbery and in a way that you can watch it a million times.

I don't like Wes Anderson movies at all, I don't get them.... Shawshank is always near people's #1, I have it down around 50.... I know you love Trainspotting, any movie that has Temptation by Heaven 17 has got to be good, it was a solid movie. I hate true action movies, super hero movies, animated movies and sci-fi so that is why some are missing for me.

Igby... just saw that again with Kieran Culkin, underrated movie for sure

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I couldn't stop at 10 (in no particular order):

1.Risky Business
2.Star Wars - A New Hope
3.Vegas Vacation
4.Pan's Labyrinth
5.Goodfellas
6.Elf
7.Mulholland Drive
8.Rocky (I)
9.Animal House
10.Midnight Express
11.Titanic
12.Sound of Music
13.V is for Vendetta
14.The Hangover (I)
15.The Breakfast Club

Pretty cool list, not a Star Wars fan here. Risky Business was the movie of high school,

Reactions: beach

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Glengarry Glen Ross was indeed a great movie Major. It's exactly the way sales was. I was in direct marketing back in early 90's. The biggest high in the world was closing a deal. Then you come in the next day and you hope they don't cancel. There was money in pots pans and dishes. I used to drink it all away back then.

A couple weeks ago I streamed The Hitmans Bodyguard . Now that was a funny movie. I recommend to all.

You were in direct marketing in the 90's and at Ground Round during the Easter Eve marathon.... my first business (still have it) which I started at 25 makes my last name notorious in that industry, did you work for a catalog company or list broker. we still have that business but it peaked in the 2000's and then I pivoted around 2012 to a bigger business.

Glengarry Gary Ross... one of the best screenplays of all time... Jack Lemmon last' hurrah, Pacino in a different kind of role, and Kevin spacey's breakout role...... 2nd place ... steak knives... 3rd place.. you're fired... Alec Baldwin at his finest.

Timesharing is brutal...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This thread was long overdue, and I like the TV show tips... also saw a great movie when I turned off the Isles/Panthers game the other night... Last Flag Flying... great post war buddy film with Bryan Cranston and Steve Carell

Reactions: Joyce Harmon

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Darn you like some damn good movies 500 Days of Summer and Sideways are both brilliant files, you have great respect for Annie Hall

Tootsie was Dustin Hoffman at his best, just a well acted, comedy of errors, great setup in that movie... High Fidelity captured so much that I relate to, past relationships, music taste snobbery and in a way that you can watch it a million times.

I don't like Wes Anderson movies at all, I don't get them.... Shawshank is always near people's #1, I have it down around 50.... I know you love Trainspotting, any movie that has Temptation by Heaven 17 has got to be good, it was a solid movie. I hate true action movies, super hero movies, animated movies and sci-fi so that is why some are missing for me.

Igby... just saw that again with Kieran Culkin, underrated movie for sure

I completely agree on Wes Anderson. I literally didn't like any of his films to the point where I thought they were unwatchable. I thought people liked the Royal Tannenbaums because it was cool to like it the way people fawned over Being John Malkovich.

However The Grand Budapest Hotel was just movie magic to me. It all came together in such a Haley's Comet type of way that I'm also quite confident I'll never like another Wes Anderson film.

Also you can add Paul Thomas Anderson and Michael Bay to directors I cannot stand. PTA has this amazing "talent" of however long his film is...It feels doubly as long.

Basically as long as you have a story to tell, try to tell it, but not put your ego above the film, I'll at least respect it.

I feel like I'm missing so many from my list, but cannot think right now.

Also just watched Arrival with Amy Adams and thought it was great. I don't like M. Night Shyamalan, but if you liked Signs then Arrival is definitely in the same genre (just much better). I think Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) should be on everyone's radar now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad