Prospect Info: Otto Stenberg, 25th, 2023

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We are going to be vastly different in two/three years. Outside of Thomas, Parayko, and Kyrou and maybe Neighbours. I can definitely see the rest of the lineup being completely different.
Other than goalies, those are only relevant guys on roster as we imagine next core. Everyone else is too old, too short of term, or not good enough to be relevant (Buchy would be if signed).

Dvo and the other kids are likely AT LEAST 2-3 years from being looked at as impact players. So as we look forward, we have intermediate term needs and longer term needs. In short to Intermefiste term our 2nd line is I think biggest need. Longer out it is 2 top 4 d bc we have exciting prospects who project as top 6 forwards.

And since we don’t want to be wings or sabres and suck for a decade, we should assume that army would like to bring these futures into alignment rather than bottoming out until kids are ready to really help. But next year looks like it is gonna be rough too unless army can work some magic. Because as you say, 2/3 or so of our roster is just keeping seats warm.

Reactions: Mike Liut

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
We've gotten the opportunity to see Dvorsky in a men's league and he failed. The NHL is much faster and more physical than the SHL, and him dominating kids that he's bigger and better than doesn't make him ready for the NHL. He needs to improve his skating and develop patterns that will work in faster leagues with players as big as he is before he'll be an effective NHLer.
He was on the worst team in the league, barely getting ice time, and playing with scrubs

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He was on the worst team in the league, barely getting ice time, and playing with scrubs
He was also the worst of those scrubs and played himself out of the lineup. I watched almost every game he played in Sweden and his struggles were on him. It's not the end of the world, but he's going to need to adjust to men's leagues before being an effective NHL player, especially since his defensive game wasn't very good in the SHL either. He needs time to develop before we pencil him in as our 2C. It's not coming in the next 2 years

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We've gotten the opportunity to see Dvorsky in a men's league and he failed. The NHL is much faster and more physical than the SHL, and him dominating kids that he's bigger and better than doesn't make him ready for the NHL. He needs to improve his skating and develop patterns that will work in faster leagues with players as big as he is before he'll be an effective NHLer.
I won't be surprised if Dvo isn't ready to crack an NHL lineup next year and the fact that we can send him to the AHL instead of back to junior if he is on the fringe will make it harder for him to crack the NHL roster. But he wouldn't exactly be the first guy to take several large development steps from the start of his D+1 season to the start of his D+2 season.

Drai had 9 points in 37 NHL games in his D+1 season before the Oilers sent him back to junior. He had 51 points in 72 NHL games the next season. His ice time in Edmonton jumped from 12:42 in his D+1 season to 18:03 in his D+2 season.

Wyatt Johnston didn't get a 9 game tryout with the Stars in his D+1 season and then made the team full time in his D+2 season. He had 41 points and played 17 minutes a night in the playoffs as a 19 year old.

Dvorsky's 10 game SHL stint this year is certainly worth noting and suggests that he's a longer term project than simply being plunked right into the NHL in his age 19 season. If I were betting even money, I wouldn't bet on him to be in our opening night lineup next year. But I'm also not willing to say that 'failing' in a 10 game stint on a bad team fighting to avoid relegation as a just-turned 18 year old means that you can't improve enough to make an NHL roster as a young 19 year old.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

So he was playing on a team full of scrubs and couldn't earn ice time? That doesn't sound like the glowing endorsement you think it is.

A prospect on the cusp of NHL readiness forces hs way onto ice time and elevates scrubs in the SHL. He could take a massive leap like Brian39 said. But we can't count on that. At that point, he was not near being near NHL ready

Reactions: Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Future rosters never work out like this and ours definitely won't in 2 years lol. Dvorsky might get a call up in 2 years, there's almost 0 chance he's going to be our 2C by then. Same goes for Stenberg, Dean, and Bolduc. We're not going to be putting that many players on that timeline.
FWIW, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have one of Bolduc/Dean in a sheltered middle 6 role within 2 years. And while definitely not expecting them to be impact players on that timeline, it would help to have at least one as a regular in the lineup before the likes of Dvorsky and Stenberg come along to more evenly spread out the influx of rookies into the lineup.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Saw that he had a lot of points in Gothenburg but didn't really get to watch Sweden play. Any thoughts?

Had a goal for Bjorkloven in his first game back in Alsvenskan after seeing limited ice time I'm eight SHL games (with one scratch) with Frolunda.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Dude is a little shit-stirrer haha, during the end of game 2 against Brynäs (4-1 loss to bring the series to 0-2), things got steamy between him and Brynäs' captain Johan Larsson.

For example: Larsson (sneeringly) asked why Otto wasn't playing in the SHL to which he replied "Weren't you with this team and relegated it last year? You f***ing garbage." Larsson got so hot and bothered from it all that he tried to spray water at Otto between benches but he caught TV crew with it instead (which Brynäs' GM reprimanded him about and we'll see if it gives him further repercussions), Larsson would after the game slam the door to the dressing room when media tried to talk to him, and left the arena early.

Otto was way calmer about it all:

I don't know how old he is, but he skated around and tried to talk with an 18 year old during the whole game. He asked why I didn't play in the SHL and I had a pretty good answer to that.

He was one of their big players last year. All respect to him, but I think I had a good answer. It gives me energy when a guy like him, who is 30+, skates around to talk with me and puts his energy on me.

On the atmosphere between the benches as it looked like there was a lot of talk:

f*** yes. It's the playoffs so that's how it should be. I think it's fun. I get energy from it.

I've always liked to be in the middle of things(ed: can't think of a better translation right now). There's something revving me up.

About if things like that is something that is needed to beat Brynäs in the playoffs:

It's an important part in a playoffs series, of course. It's a lot mentally, but at the same time we need to step up a few more levels. We haven't played our best hockey yet. We need to step up and we will step up.

On playing at home again next game:
It was a hell of an atmosphere against Södertälje, so it will be great.

Side note: when writing this I realized it might seem like he's swearing a lot but it's nothing out of the ordinary in Sweden.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Dude is a little shit-stirrer haha, during the end of game 2 against Brynäs (4-1 loss to bring the series to 0-2), things got steamy between him and Brynäs' captain Johan Larsson.

For example: Larsson (sneeringly) asked why Otto wasn't playing in the SHL to which he replied "Weren't you with this team and relegated it last year? You f***ing garbage." Larsson got so hot and bothered from it all that he tried to spray water at Otto between benches but he caught TV crew with it instead (which Brynäs' GM reprimanded him about and we'll see if it gives him further repercussions), Larsson would after the game slam the door to the dressing room when media tried to talk to him, and left the arena early.

On the atmosphere between the benches as it looked like there was a lot of talk:

About if things like that is something that is needed to beat Brynäs in the playoffs:

Side note: when writing this I realized it might seem like he's swearing a lot but it's nothing out of the ordinary in Sweden.
Every team needs a couple. Don’t have to be a fighter, just get under their skin.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

Love that!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Love this! Really looking forward to Stenberg. Thanks for posting this.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Thank you a ton for posting. This was a great update to read and I absolutely love to hear that a veteran is focusing in on our 18 year old prospect in a playoff game.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Otto went right for the throat. Geez. Haha
1712245630134.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad